HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Asheville: Forever and a Day

I was thinking recently, and came to the conclusion that it would be so much less fuss and bother for everyone if, rather than set up numerous photo threads that receive little attention and drop out of sight in a day or so, I set up a single megathread that will receive little attention and repeatedly drop out of sight in a day or two.

Thus, I present to you this thread, which I will add to in spurts and fits now and again. Of course, I'll also be adding specialized threads in here, usually with appropriate theme music because that's just how I roll.

And now, here we go, with photos collected over an evening and a morning in June.

Whee!

Should you deign to look at these pictures, enjoy them to the sounds of some Asheville street buskers. It'll be the next best thing to being here.

(Please note that no one, and I do mean no one, can play a saw like the man in this video, and I'll entertain no argument from you otherwise.)

Video Link

And then quite suddenly the next day, the sun rose, taking everyone by surprise.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Jul 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 12:59 PM

Great pictures, as usual. Visiting Asheville has long been a dream of mine. Your photothreads are as close as I have gotten.

By the way, I recently met someone that went to school in Boone. Sounds like an interesting place and hoping you will show us one of these days.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:08 PM
A gruff individual.

Thank you, Expat. Would you believe that I've never been to Boone? It's 90 miles away, and there is no direct, quick way to get there from here.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:30 PM
Red October standing by

great pics as usual. i need to get back there.

Quote:
I was thinking recently, and came to the conclusion that it would be so much less fuss and bother for everyone if, rather than set up numerous photo threads that receive little attention and drop out of sight in a day or so, I set up a single megathread that will receive little attention and repeatedly drop out of sight in a day or two.
many of my threads (Augusta and Columbia leap to mind) suffer a similar fate. and then what grinds my gears is there's a random thread by someone passing through and then 40 comments of "never seen this city before."

hmm, i need to update both of my continuing threads. if only work would let up.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:21 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
many of my threads (Augusta and Columbia leap to mind) suffer a similar fate. and then what grinds my gears is there's a random thread by someone passing through and then 40 comments of "never seen this city before."

-
I feel your pain... I hope I'll get to see you next time you're in town!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:41 AM

great stuff! i am dying to go to this city and have a standing invitation from family members. i've wanted to take a week or so and do Asheville, Nashville and Memphis...............that would be a great trifecta!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
great pics as usual. i need to get back there.

-
that makes me feel bad...............i do remember your Augusta thread and enjoyed it, thank you

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:22 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great stuff!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:13 PM
A gruff individual.

Thanks for taking a look, everyone.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:51 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Can't wait to get back to Asheville next month, and I love the cool temperate rainforests of the Pisgah National Forest. Those eastern forests are a treasure...I must be following some ancient native american trading route from the confluence because i keep finding myself in the area.

Edit, yes I am...sorta.

http://www.uni.edu/cutter/indian_trade_routes.jpg

Last edited by Centropolis; Jul 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 7:44 PM

Awesome stuff! Always good to see Asheville.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:47 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Well that was fun. Asheville is so cool; great location, active street life, wonderful old buildings, and plenty of interesting characters. Thanks for the pics.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Thank you, Expat. Would you believe that I've never been to Boone? It's 90 miles away, and there is no direct, quick way to get there from here.
Right, my friend said she wishes Asheville were closer or had an easier connection to Boone. She is in LOVE with Asheville and intends to move there one day.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Please continue to post more photos of home! I would love to see a thread updated often with new photos of Asheville.

Boone is more of a college town (Appalachian State). It is an interesting city and worth visiting.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

very nice collection. Asheville appears much larger than I had assumed.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:02 PM
A gruff individual.

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone. I hope to have more pictures to post soon. I would have taken more that day in June, except it got blisteringly hot and people were staring at me as I oozed down the sidewalk, dripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Can't wait to get back to Asheville next month, and I love the cool temperate rainforests of the Pisgah National Forest. Those eastern forests are a treasure...I must be following some ancient native american trading route from the confluence because i keep finding myself in the area.
Asheville was actually founded at the intersection of two Cherokee trading paths. Down on the Biltmore Estate, meanwhile, archaeologists have unearthed a Conestee Indian village that far predates the Cherokee, where they have found copper and the bones of a wolf native to Michigan, and seashells from species native to Florida. It would appear that tourists have been coming to Asheville for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
very nice collection. Asheville appears much larger than I had assumed.
Out of curiosity, how big did you think it was?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:22 AM

Awesome, photos, Hauntedheadnc!

What is the crane for beside the courthouse?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:48 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy33 View Post
Awesome, photos, Hauntedheadnc!

What is the crane for beside the courthouse?
They're building a tower containing stairs, elevators, and extra restrooms up the back of the historic building to bring it into compliance with modern safety standards. For more than a decade now, the historic jail portion of the building has gone unused because it didn't meet updated safety standards. Thus, that old jail is now being converted to county office space. Also, a new addition to the courthouse will be built fronting College Street once the safety tower is finished.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 11:43 PM

^Oh, that's awesome news! I sure hope whatever additions are made complement the original building.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:08 AM

Great thread,keep em coming!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos