HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:36 PM

Ministry of Labour orders TTC bike racks removed

This is from Toronto but I wonder if it will have any impact on OC Transpo's racks?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...ttc_buses.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
This is from Toronto but I wonder if it will have any impact on OC Transpo's racks?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...ttc_buses.html
I doubt it. The Nova is a drastically different design from any of the buses used on OCTranspo. The only similarities between the TTC and OCTranspo in this case is the Orions, which don't seem to be the focus of the problem.

The Novas are a weird bus ergonomically. With so much length in front of the axle, the bumper is quite high to allow for a reasonable approach angle. The windshield is also lower, so the folded bike rack sticks up over the windshield. The folded bike rack is well below the bottom of the windshield on the New Flyers. There are other ergonomic issues with Novas, such as the driver being far ahead of the door causing them neck problems when checking fares. This is the reason for the 2/3 split door on some Novas.

I did see a bike with a milk crate on the back on the front of an OCTranspo bus this week, and I questioned that. It wouldn't surprise me to see a blanket ban on large accessories like that, or driver discretion.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:33 PM

STO has no bike racks, and OC never placed racks on the small number of Nova LFS's it had in the past.

Also the Orion VII hybrids do not have the bike racks in Ottawa, but that is likely due to the routes they primarily operate on (urban mainline routes and local routes).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation