HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Interesting. Never heard that before but it makes sense.

It works in Kingston too, the wind direction is a bit funny here because of the lake, and the old north end is downwind from the rest of the city.

It doesn't really work in Ottawa though. Traditionally Sandy Hill, just east of downtown, was a wealthy public servant neighbourhood, while Lebreton Flats, just west of downtown, was a very working class area.
Yeah, obviously, that "rule" doesn't work 100.000% of the time, as there are a bunch of other factors in play (in TO's case, as was pointed out, presence of swampland in a given direction, etc.) but generally, in NE North America, it does.
(See, my total guess about Cleveland proved correct. )

Historically, dense city cores have always been a filthy, stinky place, so you ideally didn't want to be downwind/downriver from them. Without even looking it up, it's guaranteed that an identical residential riverfront property on the Thames/Seine was significantly more desirable if located just before medieval London/Paris than just after it. The port, docks are also (nearly always) going to be on the downriver side.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
... probably because the west escaped most of the urban renewal mistakes that blight the east.
I wonder why it was so. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know?

Normally, for those urban renewal "experiments", poorer neighborhoods were chosen in the first place...

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I wonder why it was so. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know?

Normally, for those urban renewal "experiments", poorer neighborhoods were chosen in the first place...

I don't just mean urban renewal in the sense of government-led "slum clearance" to build public housing projects (which also happened in the west end); there were more of the private sector towers-in-park developments that went up on the east side of downtown that didn't in the west. My guess is that with the academic & hippie presence attached to the university, there were more neighbourhood activist groups to fight development.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I don't just mean urban renewal in the sense of government-led "slum clearance" to build public housing projects (which also happened in the west end); there were more of the private sector towers-in-park developments that went up on the east side of downtown that didn't in the west. My guess is that with the academic & hippie presence attached to the university, there were more neighbourhood activist groups to fight development.
Or, in two words: Jane Jacobs.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:35 PM
sick transit, gloria

Many of the private tower in the park developments predate Jane Jacobs arrival in Toronto. I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but many of these developments occurred in parts of the city (both east and west-end) that had older large-lot mansion style developments. By the post-war era these areas were no longer as fashionable and many of the buildings would have been subdivided and in fallen into disrepair. This coincided with street widening as well, such as Jarvis. The large lots made land consolidation easier, and preservation was not en vogue at the time. Outside of the east end areas that saw this type of development were St. George St in the Annex and Jameson in Parkdale. Both areas with large lots and widened streets.

The fate of the resulting towers varied along with the fate of the neighbourhood. Many in the Annex and Church / Wellesley area are fashionable, or at least decent. Parkdale, not so much.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Many of the private tower in the park developments predate Jane Jacobs arrival in Toronto. I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but many of these developments occurred in parts of the city (both east and west-end) that had older large-lot mansion style developments. By the post-war era these areas were no longer as fashionable and many of the buildings would have been subdivided and in fallen into disrepair. This coincided with street widening as well, such as Jarvis. The large lots made land consolidation easier, and preservation was not en vogue at the time. Outside of the east end areas that saw this type of development were St. George St in the Annex and Jameson in Parkdale. Both areas with large lots and widened streets.

The fate of the resulting towers varied along with the fate of the neighbourhood. Many in the Annex and Church / Wellesley area are fashionable, or at least decent. Parkdale, not so much.
That is probably the best explanation I have ever heard for this. I would have never thought about the large lot consolidation theory, but it makes perfect sense.

It also explains why the mansions along St. George were torn down to build the few postwar apartment "towers" that exist on the west side.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:47 PM

Most of Hamilton's commie blocks are in the Durand, where old Victorian mansions once stood.

They could have put one in the front yard too

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, obviously, that "rule" doesn't work 100.000% of the time, as there are a bunch of other factors in play (in TO's case, as was pointed out, presence of swampland in a given direction, etc.) but generally, in NE North America, it does.
(See, my total guess about Cleveland proved correct. )

Historically, dense city cores have always been a filthy, stinky place, so you ideally didn't want to be downwind/downriver from them. Without even looking it up, it's guaranteed that an identical residential riverfront property on the Thames/Seine was significantly more desirable if located just before medieval London/Paris than just after it. The port, docks are also (nearly always) going to be on the downriver side.
Paris wealthiest neighbourhoods are located West of Paris, so "after" the city. I heard the same argument over there tough, the dominant winds come from the West, which is why the poorer neighbourhoods/suburbs are located on the East side. They could not avoid both the polluted air and water there it seems due to geographical reasons.

Last edited by le calmar; May 26, 2015 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 10:11 PM

I think there is more of a north/south divide in Montreal - at least from a historical perspective. Poor/working class neighborhoods in the south - St Henri , Pt St Charles, Verdun... Rich neighborhoods in the north - Westmount, Outremont, the mansions on Sherbrooke st.....

A neighborhood I haven't noticed mentioned yet is Villeray. Basically the area just east of Jarry park. A real gem in my opinion. Sort of like a Mile End light, slightly newer but more quiet.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 1:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Cote des Neiges, Montreal-Nord, Ahuntsic, Park-ex...northern parts of Montreal, none too wealthy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Most of Hamilton's commie blocks are in the Durand, where old Victorian mansions once stood.

They could have put one in the front yard too

Ha my GF lived in that place up until February. She grew up in Vancouver lived in Calgary for half her life and now lives in the Hammer. For some reason she loves it that's why it's growing on me as well.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 27, 2015 at 2:19 AM. Reason: deleted "I'm"

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:15 AM

This thread is pure east and every poster is from Eastern Canada. It's worse than the Alberta Election thread being in the national section which I didn't agree with either. Just put this thread in the appropriate regional section and every poster can continue to follow it.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I know, 60 percent of the population only. The audacity of us Easterners. And I fully agreed with the Alberta election thread being in the Canada forum. National news, as far as I saw it.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I know, 60 percent of the population only. The audacity of us Easterners. And I fully agreed with the Alberta election thread being in the Canada forum. National news, as far as I saw it.
Before somebody comes in and tell you that it's actually 58.9786% of the population due to the incredible and superior growth of the West.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:56 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
This thread is pure east and every poster is from Eastern Canada. It's worse than the Alberta Election thread being in the national section which I didn't agree with either. Just put this thread in the appropriate regional section and every poster can continue to follow it.
Or, better still, you stop whining about the fact that Montreal is a fantastic city that people throughout the country love, and stop looking at this thread. That way people can continue to discuss the great urban aspects of arguably Canada's greatest urban city, on, you know, a freakin' urban affairs website, and as a bonus, we don't have to listen to you whine.

Win-win all around.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 4:21 AM

Quote:
This thread is pure east and every poster is from Eastern Canada.
Not even true. hipster duck (who posted on this page) is from Vancouver. someone123 (who posted on last page) is from Vancouver. ue (who posted on last page) is from Edmonton. (I didn't bother to go back further into the previous 3.5 pages, but I'm sure we'd find even more if we did.)

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Cote des Neiges, Montreal-Nord, Ahuntsic, Park-ex...northern parts of Montreal, none too wealthy.
I said historically. All those areas are new(ish)

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 12:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

I was glad the Alberta election thread was on the main page, just like I'm glad this one is. I don't want to have to wade through various regional subforums to find things I consider of national interest.

It would be bit boring if we were only allowed to have regional perspectives on a given issue wouldn't it?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Don't click on the thread. Problem solved.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada