HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Construction on the terminal started in the spring of 2007, so even if it opens this spring which is starting to look unlikely it will be 4 years in...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:36 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This ain't good. If trolls catch onto this... then I don't know what will happen...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Construction on the terminal started in the spring of 2007, so even if it opens this spring which is starting to look unlikely it will be 4 years in...
Yeah I didn't mean it was 6 years all construction, but I seem to remember seeing proposal for the new terminal and renderings soon after I started here in Sept 2005. Ah well. I think I'm one of the few people that actually likes the current terminal. So many times I've gotten up early for a 7AM flight out of YWG...grab a coffee and just watch them de-ice planes for a while. Good times for dorks who like that kind of stuff

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:07 PM

ive done that too lol. i work at the boeing plant and every now and then i check for a 777. no luck so far. guess we will be seeing more of those, and bigger planes like it in the new airport. i like the new building too, but i still wish we could find a legit use for the old one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
ive done that too lol. i work at the boeing plant and every now and then i check for a 777. no luck so far. guess we will be seeing more of those, and bigger planes like it in the new airport. i like the new building too, but i still wish we could find a legit use for the old one.
i duno but it could become a hub for flights north bound

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I would like to see Winnipeg become a northern hub as well but they could do that out of the new terminal. Moot point anyway as Montreal and Edmonton have a lock on the northern routes.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Why? That would be better to be in the new airport.

It would be a serious PITA to fly in to Winnipeg and fly to Thompson only to have to go to a different airport to catch your connecting flight.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:13 AM
Heart of the Continent

Does anyone think that Winnipeg is seeing a drop in passenger traffic solely because of Grand Forks, or is something else at play? The traffic at JAR peaked in 2007, and it has been falling ever since:

http://www.waa.ca/?pid=128

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:38 AM
Starring as himself

Everything peaked in 2007. It's likely just the economy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Everything peaked in 2007. It's likely just the economy.
agreed.....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Does anyone think that Winnipeg is seeing a drop in passenger traffic solely because of Grand Forks, or is something else at play? The traffic at JAR peaked in 2007, and it has been falling ever since:

Well, I can tell you that both Regina and Saskatoon have seen jumps in their passenger traffic. Regina saw 9% + this past year alone. Mostly due to flights leaving directly from Regina to Chicago, Minneapolis, Toronto, Ottawa, Denver. Before, we had to go through Winnipeg to get to Chicago and beyond, now we don't. Considering there isn't even a WestJet flight from Regina to Winnipeg, I think fewer people from Sask hub through Winnipeg than in the past.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:13 PM

Grand Forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post

I believe that Grand Forks is clearly cutting into Winnipeg airport passenger traffic. Grand Forks has daily flights to Los Angeles and Las Vegas, and are at least 50% cheaper than flights out of Winnipeg. I know many people who now do the drive from Winnipeg to Grand Forks to catch a flight going South.

Same thing in Syracuse and Buffalo, drawing passengers from Eastern and Southern Ontario, as the prices are so much cheaper. The savings easily cover the cost of gas, parking your vehicle and paying for luggage.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:38 PM
the first stamp is free

We are also getting less and less flights down to Caribbean vacation areas during the winter.

We usually go every year, and the options for direct flights, and the number of flights is decreasing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:38 PM
BANNED

^ Allegiant flies to LV and PHX out of Grand Forks (airport parking real cheap), out of Fargo they also go to Orlando and LA

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:13 PM

Another major factor in recent years would be the Canadian Dollar being at parity with the US. Flights ARE dollar-for-dollar cheaper in the US (cheaper fares, lower taxes), and now that we've got dollar parity, its hard to pass up these kind of savings. Its more convenient to fly out of Winnipeg, but you're essentially paying a premium for that convenience.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:39 PM

Construction

If the opening is being delayed by broken sewer lines, can someone explain to me why the rest of the new terminal is not completed?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
If the opening is being delayed by broken sewer lines, can someone explain to me why the rest of the new terminal is not completed?
why rush at this point

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
why rush at this point
Agreed. I'd rather have something that was done the first time, in the quality it deserves in a timely, and efficient manner, and up until now, Ellis Don had shown none of those things.

This whole ordeal is quite embarrassing, to be honest.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:25 PM

Allegiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Allegiant flies to LV and PHX out of Grand Forks (airport parking real cheap), out of Fargo they also go to Orlando and LA
A friend just got back from LA and he flew from Grand Forks with Allegiant. Total cost of the flight was $200 return, plus $50 for one checked bag. Parking at the airport was $5 per day. Air Canada and Westjet will have a hard time competing with those prices. You are paying a high premium for convenience and peace of mind to fly south out of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We are also getting less and less flights down to Caribbean vacation areas during the winter.

We usually go every year, and the options for direct flights, and the number of flights is decreasing.
Really find that hard to believe in Regina west jet is now offering direct weekly flights from Regina to montego bay every week and its non charter you would think with all the interest in going south they would be adding more flights

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan