HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:00 AM
BANNED

They were talking about $ 250 million just to renovate Rexall Place.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:01 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Winnipeg is getting a new Stadium for the Blue Bombers party funded privately by David Asper. Edmonton is getting a new arena for the Oilers to the tune of $ 400 million.

In the meantime, nothing is happening with the Whitecaps. Pavco still sludges through reports and this and that and still hasn't made the right decision about BC Place Stadium. There's something fundamentally wrong with this Province.

When are those Open Houses for the False Creek Development plan around BC Place?
I did mention the other day that there is a go ahead with a double tower in form of H to be built at the foot of Cambie bridge and few other project, take a moment to stop at CONCORD PACIFIC new HQ at pacific boulevard and Carrall.
You can ask all the questions you wish about this development that is about to begin soon, as far as the east site of BC Place it will not begin until 2010.
hope this helps

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:16 AM
BANNED

thank you!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:16 AM

It's difficult. There's only so much the City of Vancouver can do since the issue isn't with them but with the Vancouver Port Authority. As much as I'd like to see a stadium built out in say Surrey or something to add a needed staple to the new downtown plans, I think the proposal for the downtown soccer stadium would be amazing if realized for the city and region.

I'm not a soccer fan at all but it's so hugely popular and so many people in the region would benefit from us having an MLS team from an entertainment standpoint.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:38 AM
BANNED

That's why I think there's some sort of connection between the Whitecaps Stadium and BC Place. I believe the decision on one will have an effect on the other.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:11 AM

For the last time, it has ZERO effect.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:20 AM
BANNED

There's an analogy between this and the situation down in Seattle with the development of that new Emerald City Arena (with a Retractable Roof!

They want to spot the Emerald City Arena down at Pier 45 but the lease with Hanjin at that Port doesn't expire till 2015.

So we could conceivably see negotiations with the Port of Seattle much like our situation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

On my calendar yesterday was Aprils 1st, pretty sure you can forget about a billion dollar arena built with private money for a money losing team.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:42 AM

Nothing really new but this was in the Province -

Marc Weber, The Province
Published: Friday, April 11, 2008

Sitting in his window office in The Landing, overlooking the proposed waterfront stadium location, Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi says he has a beautiful, yet cruel, view.

"When we first moved in," he said, "a fairly common occurrence was visualizing what it would look like and it's still something you do when you look out at the mountains and the water -- it would be a fantastic backdrop for a stadium.

"I guess I've got the point ... I still have the vision, but I don't have it as regularly as when I first moved in."

Lenarduzzi remains optimistic but his waning window gazing is a good indication of how frustrated he's been negotiating with the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

The Whitecaps have been in talks with the VFPA for about 18 months since city council unanimously approved the proposal.

Owner Greg Kerfoot is committed to building the $75-million facility, and the Whitecaps have been negotiating a land exchange with the VFPA that would see Whitecaps-owned land over rail yards along Waterfront Road swapped for vacant port land close to the Helijet terminal.

Anne McMullin, a spokeswoman for the VFPA, did not return phone calls Thursday, but past comments indicate that the sticking point could be comparable land value -- an independent appraiser was assessing the plots -- or it could be potential land use.

Neither side is willing to get into the details. "We're inclined to keep that between the port and ourselves," said Lenarduzzi.

The rest here -

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...a-4cfca4e1eabe

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Give up Bob. It ain't gonna happen. The Stadium is toast.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:44 AM

I want Vancouver to get an MLS team so bad now that I'm beginning to accept any location for a stadium. They need to sort this thing out quick or we will never get a franchise. Like we've discussed in the past, what about on the other side of the new St Pauls development in the Flats? Scott Road? Richmond?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Give up Bob. It ain't gonna happen. The Stadium is toast.
Your toast.

Sigh, I love British Columbia.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:52 PM
testify

WHAT? towerguy3 was banned? say it ain't so! this guy is classic!

(tangentially, i wonder if he'll have the audacity to return as towerguy4, that would be pretty cool)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 5:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

I don't see why he was banned... He's no worse than the classic back and forth we had years ago between mr.x and ???? I can't remember who it was or what the arguments were about but it invariably degraded into a schoolyard fight every single time.

It was when mr.x2 was just mr.x.

Hehehe... mr.x... remember those days? brings back memories of the old days of going between gamesbids and ssp.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 5:34 PM

Whats very interesting is that Aluminum was also banned(you can find him in the Chicago Forums), but yet he was able to come back, with the very same Username and signature.......

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 7:36 PM
testify

someone should start a 'bring back towerguy3' thread.

seriously, it's unfathomable to me how anyone could possibly become such a fanatic about a retractable roof on a sports stadium. i actually read his posts with a certain bemused joy - it's almost as if he's some kind of performance artist playing a very elaborate and incredibly ironic joke on all of us, by assuming a completely absurd retractable roof-obsessed character and devoting nearly all of his posts (and a great deal of his time) to it.

i was just catching up on the ssc thread on the bc place and i really couldn't help but smile, the whole way through.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 7:43 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
I don't see why he was banned... He's no worse than the classic back and forth we had years ago between mr.x and ???? I can't remember who it was or what the arguments were about but it invariably degraded into a schoolyard fight every single time.

Hehehe... mr.x... remember those days? brings back memories of the old days of going between gamesbids and ssp.
Wait I'm confused... was towerguy ever on Gamesbids? =O

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
i was just catching up on the ssc thread on the bc place and i really couldn't help but smile, the whole way through.
Me too. It's another case of sit back, relax, and enjoy the show =]

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 10:57 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
queetz?

I think that was the guy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Wait I'm confused... was towerguy ever on Gamesbids? =O

Me too. It's another case of sit back, relax, and enjoy the show =]
No no no... I can't remember the other other guy's name... there was a spat between another forumer and mr.x for a while. It got into personal insults and the like...

edit: yeah, queetz! What ever happened to him anyhow?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:

I'll unban TG3 in a few days, though his locked door timer has been tentatively set to the open the day after the 2010 Closing Ceremonies. But if you start a topic on this, i'll throw the key into the ocean for good. -_-

I don't remember what you're referring to, but I wouldn't be surprised.....in my defense, I was young - probably like 12 or 13 years old.

But yea, TG3 has mainly been temporary banned because the pm's some members sent me a few months.

Towerguy3 is Jamie25 in GamesBids.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation