HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:11 AM

[Burnaby] The Amazing Brentwood | 15 Towers | 186m | 56 flrs | U/C & Proposed

All images and video in this post are the property of Shape Properties

Phase one retail plans and gallery pictures: http://theamazingbrentwood.com/leasi...rentwood/plans

A massive redevelopment has been proposed for the current site of Brentwood Town Centre. Since Shape Properties purchased the mall in 2011, they have been developing a master plan for the site and are now seeking approval from Burnaby City Hall. They are looking to start construction as early as late 2013, with the first phase projected to be completed by 2016. The current mall is not in the short term plans, but it is intended to be redeveloped eventually.

The Brentwood Station blog is a great resource for this project as well as SOLO District across the street: http://brentwoodstation.blogspot.ca/

Quote:
Big plans for Burnaby's Brentwood
By Grant Granger - Burnaby NewsLeader

A concept plan for the massive redevelopment of Brentwood Town Centre that could take 30 years to complete will go to a public hearing Aug. 28.

A report to city council this week said Shape Properties is proposing a concept that would be a complete redevelopment of the 28-acre Brentwood mall site. If it is carried out, it would have up to 11 residential high rises and two office towers ranging from 25 to 70 stories, townhouses, a large amount of retail at ground level and a public plaza for year-round activity.
http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/164504896.html

Last edited by GeeCee; Sep 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 AM

... adding to the metropolis .....

I could see the Brentwood district developing into another "Metrotown." This is a HOT site ..... (and, if anything else, will make an impressive view for people driving on the freeway into Vancouver for the first time. They will have passed Lougheed Town Centre, gone through the 'green ravine' of Central Burnaby, then emerge to see all this, plus the big development going in kitty-corner to it)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:50 AM

I'd really like to see a Best Buy or Future Shop go in here, and maybe a relocation of NCIX's store on Kingsway to here as well. It's going to get a movie theater and who knows what else. It's a great location, and frankly a shame that it has been allowed to sit in its current state for more than a decade after the Millenium Line opened.

This part of town is definitely going to be seeing some big improvements in the years to come!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:37 PM

Do you think Burnaby can support two extensive town centres, at both Metrotown and Brentwood? I wonder if this will cause the Metrotown area to suffer a bit.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:14 PM

stuffs gone mad, burnaby finally woke up - the suburb finally rises to deliver an end to the nimbys, who probably will resist this project.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
stuffs gone mad, burnaby finally woke up - the suburb finally rises to deliver an end to the nimbys, who probably will resist this project.
I hope Surrey and burnaby start building 800 footers. Show up vancouver and their damn view cones.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
I thought the same thing but surpisingly most area residents are supportive of the plan according to that CBC report. I mean if you look at the details of the development it is so well thought out and adresses its neighbours more than adequately. Keeping the tallest towers near the skytrain station for example. Or the extensive green buffers between the north side of the site and the single family homes.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:13 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Do you think Burnaby can support two extensive town centres, at both Metrotown and Brentwood? I wonder if this will cause the Metrotown area to suffer a bit.
Vancouver has three or four centres. Downtown, Broadway Corridor, Commercial Drive, Joyce/Collingwood, Kerrisdale and Oakridge.

Burnaby North and Burnaby South are quite different areas. Brentwood is mostly a draw for Burnaby residents. Metrotown has regional draw from Surrey to Vancouver.

I would equate it to the Oakridge area and downtown.

Newport Village in Port Moody and Coquitlam Centre are closer than Brentwood, not separated by a highway and connected to each other via the #7, yet they both function well.

One could argue that Joyce/Collingwood and the development around Edmonds are only 2 stops away from Metrotown, but do well.

I think Brentwood centre would be a draw for people north of the #1, both in East Vancouver and along the Hastings Corridor.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I hope Surrey and burnaby start building 800 footers. Show up vancouver and their damn view cones.
Fistbump for truth.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

With the projected population growth of metro Vancouver, plus the added population densities of Metrotown, plus the Brentwood "town centre" I don't think this will be too big a problem.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I think Brentwood centre would be a draw for people north of the #1, both in East Vancouver and along the Hastings Corridor.
I'd love it if Brentwood became a real rival to Metrotown. For a lot of people downtown/north shore, Metrotown is the only reason to go east of Boundary road currently - but it's still a bit far away.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 12:25 AM

From how this project is being described, I certainly think that it can and will rival Metrotown eventually, but not until the site is fully developed, and that's 30 years out until they're talking about knocking the mall down.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 1:58 AM

Within the span of 30 years Metrotown will probably be massively upgraded and expanded as well. I think it will retain it's position as the predominant shopping mall in the metro for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 2:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Presumably Metropolis as a large mall will continue to exist, and all the parking lots and some of the scuzzier parts will be redeveloped, especially along Kingsway. I expect that part will be more like how Station Square will be. However, the mall will still be there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:14 PM
loafing in lotusland

I don't think you'll see this area as a competitor to Metrotown, at least not a competitor to the mall. Rather, it's an alternative.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:25 AM

http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/175015181.html

Quote:
The master plan for the redevelopment of Brentwood Town Centre has been given approval in principle by Burnaby council.

... the conceptual master plan proposes 11 residential towers, and two office buildings.
The two tallest towers would be at the corner of Willingdon Avenue and Lougheed Highway
and others would be shorter the closer they are to the single-family neighbourhood to the north.

"Furthermore, no additional residential towers, beyond the 11 proposed, will be permitted under the master plan."

While council approved the master plan, each individual phase of development will require its own rezoning process,
including detailed transportation studies and a public hearing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:05 AM

It's moving along fast (it seems). Shape says their plan calls for 2 30-40 story office towers. It'll be interesting to see if that much office is built into the development. Considering how fast Brentwood is growing, a couple of office towers is plausible.

There's a pretty good video from Shape that visualizes what Brentwood would look like upon completion.

http://www.shapeproperties.com/our-p...od-town-centre

Last edited by logan5; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 2:33 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

There's a pretty good video from Shape that visualizes what Brentwood would look like upon completion.

http://www.shapeproperties.com/our-p...od-town-centre
It's so much more ambitious than anything being done in Vancouver. It makes you think of what might have been possible around BC Place, Rogers Arena and the Plaza of Nations (you know, the so-called "entertainment zone" which the city has been racing to suffocate with residential-centric development).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:13 PM

Looks absolutely amazing!!! Does anyone know what the timeline is for the retail redevelopment at least?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:34 PM

This is amazing! Burnaby is in all out beast mode! Solo, station square and now Brentwood? Vancouver needs to get its poo together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley