HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Prime on the Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w34lth View Post
I would be happy with $950-1000/month. (Keep in mind I will be putting down more then 20% so the mortgage should be considerably lower)

Keep in mind my unit would come with the following

- Transit accessible
- All the furniture - Sofa, Bed, Tv - Tables etc .
- Storage Locker + Bike Storage
- 1 Free parking stall (2nd I will rent out)
- Internet / TV Included for 1 year.

A friend rented a 1 bed furnished with the basic necessitates at city point for $1150/month on a low floor.

Not to mention that Kwantlen University will be moving in so there may be more demand. Students are usually on a budget so being on a lower/higher floor may not be a priority.

I didn't realize that the Micro 2 condos came with parking? I was told only actual 1 bedrooms and bigger would include parking.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pok3mytummy View Post
Not to mention that Kwantlen University will be moving in so there may be more demand. Students are usually on a budget so being on a lower/higher floor may not be a priority.

I didn't realize that the Micro 2 condos came with parking? I was told only actual 1 bedrooms and bigger would include parking.
We purchased additional parking spots at 20k each.

Even if I purchased a higher floor I would get maybe $50 extra month?
Student need a place but can't always afford furniture,moving trucks etc so a fully furnished unit will be in high demand.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
No surprise the 14th floor is still remaining considering the market.

We were considering the Micro 1's but on the fence. However, I understand since they launched the sales, they have now renamed it to Micro 2A's because they decided to add sliding walls to it. Not sure if this improves overall function or layout since they are smaller units than the original Micro 2s. We might just wait for the next phase in the Bosa developments in the area.
Oh i didn't know they added a sliding door to it.

I personally like the glass door feature. I believe the second phase for bosa will be located next to the current sales center

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:
I would be happy with $950-1000/month. (Keep in mind I will be putting down more then 20% so the mortgage should be considerably lower)

Keep in mind my unit would come with the following

- Transit accessible
- All the furniture - Sofa, Bed, Tv - Tables etc .
- Storage Locker + Bike Storage
- 1 Free parking stall (2nd I will rent out)
- Internet / TV Included for 1 year.

A friend rented a 1 bed furnished with the basic necessitates at city point for $1150/month on a low floor.
Given this will all be happening in about 2-3 years, I think you'll be able to get $1000, with parking.

Edit: Sorry just saw your post on parking spots. Good investment for $20k.

Somebody is trying to get $35k for a storage locker in my building.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Given this will all be happening in about 2-3 years, I think you'll be able to get $1000, with parking.

Edit: Sorry just saw your post on parking spots. Good investment for $20k.

Somebody is trying to get $35k for a storage locker in my building.
Thanks!

We figure 1 spot with the rental + 1 spot rented out $50+/month depending on the going rate at that time.

Keep in mind I am one of the few who purchased parking in addition to their rental. One renter out of all those units is bound to own a car. ( SUPPLY & DEMAND )

Wow 35k for a storage locker? Which building?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
We purchased additional parking spots at 20k each.

Even if I purchased a higher floor I would get maybe $50 extra month?
Student need a place but can't always afford furniture,moving trucks etc so a fully furnished unit will be in high demand.
Ohs I see! I misunderstood as your post said your unit comes with 1 free parking.

Definitely a good investment if you are able to rent it long-term to non renters in the building. If I was a renter choosing the building based on its location close to school and skytrain, not sure if I would have the need for a car.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Ohs I see! I misunderstood as your post said your unit comes with 1 free parking.

Definitely a good investment if you are able to rent it long-term to non renters in the building. If I was a renter choosing the building based on its location close to school and skytrain, not sure if I would have the need for a car.
True, but you can use the parking spot for yourself whenever you want to use the skytrain.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
True, but you can use the parking spot for yourself whenever you want to use the skytrain.
Better then street pay parking!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 3:00 PM

Micro condos in Surrey can only get rented for around $700. Real 1bdr is $1000.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

We figure 1 spot with the rental + 1 spot rented out $50+/month depending on the going rate at that time.

Keep in mind I am one of the few who purchased parking in addition to their rental. One renter out of all those units is bound to own a car. ( SUPPLY & DEMAND )

Wow 35k for a storage locker? Which building?
Having a parking spot will definitely make it easier to rent.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
Micro condos in Surrey can only get rented for around $700. Real 1bdr is $1000.
Quite a bold "fact" given I am renting out my real 1bdr for $1100. I think you missed the phrase "to me" at the end of each of your sentences above...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Quite a bold "fact" given I am renting out my real 1bdr for $1100. I think you missed the phrase "to me" at the end of each of your sentences above...
Good lord, That's more than the Mortgage + fees + taxes on my 2 bdr + den + 2 parking.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:18 PM

I am curious if a small low-rise will be built next door as the lot is empty.

After looking at COSMO nothing is planned so far and space seemed limited.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Good lord, That's more than the Mortgage + fees + taxes on my 2 bdr + den + 2 parking.
Not everyone can buy.

I did say "renting out" meaning I have a tenant paying me that. I'm not the one renting... My mortgage + fees + taxes on my 1 bedroom is not $1100 a month it is less... but I can rent it for that.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I am curious if a small low-rise will be built next door as the lot is empty.

After looking at COSMO nothing is planned so far and space seemed limited.
Short answer is if there isn't a DP on COSMOS for a small low-rise then the answer is anything could be built there.

3 Civic has a tiny footprint compared to many other buildings and is going to be 150+ meters high. The lot is big enough to build 1 or more highrises down the road and that entire area in the city plan has a high density high FAR provisioning for the lots. So you could have some very tall and dense buildings constructed.

That's the unfortunate gamble with buying into a highrise in Surrey Central right now when it comes to views. Ask those in Ultra facing North who are in the next few years going to no longer see the mountains but instead into the windows of another 35 storey tower built north of them...

Without knowing anything though I would be surprised that if the construction momentum doesn't stall or stop, you'll see Prime flanked on 3 sides (North, West, South) with high-rises of equal or taller size. Westone for the area between Wave and Ultra is already planning another 4-5 high rises there.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I have also noticed the one bedroom condos here at Ultra have been terrible at resale - costing the investors lost rental income while they are listed for sale. There are almost 30 one bedrooms for sale in the building, with only one 2 bedroom for sale. The 2 bedrooms are snatched up so quickly because they are just better when it comes to resale value. The way I see it, why pay a certain amount of money to get a one bedroom condo when you are 80% there from getting a 2 bedroom condo which will improve the resale. Let's face it, people don't make money off renting the one bedroom condos (perhaps some small net rental income) but they are really banking on the capital appreciation of these micro suites and one bedrooms which for Surrey will not happen in a number of years (unless you participated in Concord's deep discounted one bedrooms in Park Place when they were introduced to market for quick sale).

I just think that the Prime is looking to quickly cash in on the hyped buying frenzy for micro suites but in the long term I believe these will be money losers for the investor if they have to service a mortgage.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:48 AM

Yeah, I figured the Ultra prices were just way out to lunch during the sales event. I'm honestly amazed that anyone bought at the developer's listed price.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I just think that the Prime is looking to quickly cash in on the hyped buying frenzy for micro suites but in the long term I believe these will be money losers for the investor if they have to service a mortgage.
Reliance, the developers of Prime have done a couple micro-loft style units before prime (Janion - Victoria & Burns Block - Vancouver)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:22 AM

Not many people buy a micro loft to live in it themselves. Most of the buyers are first-time investors.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I have also noticed the one bedroom condos here at Ultra have been terrible at resale - costing the investors lost rental income while they are listed for sale. There are almost 30 one bedrooms for sale in the building, with only one 2 bedroom for sale. The 2 bedrooms are snatched up so quickly because they are just better when it comes to resale value. The way I see it, why pay a certain amount of money to get a one bedroom condo when you are 80% there from getting a 2 bedroom condo which will improve the resale. Let's face it, people don't make money off renting the one bedroom condos (perhaps some small net rental income) but they are really banking on the capital appreciation of these micro suites and one bedrooms which for Surrey will not happen in a number of years (unless you participated in Concord's deep discounted one bedrooms in Park Place when they were introduced to market for quick sale).

Yah I wouldn't take poor business sense as equating to bad investment. Anyone who buys a unit be it a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, micro-suite, or heck townhouse with the expectation to turn around and sell it immediately for a large gain or any gain is an idiot and has bad business sense. That doesn't mean buying these units can't be or isn't a good investment.

The quick flip though especially in Surrey Central where the market it saturated right now with a lot of projects on the horizon, is non-existent. The same thing happened around Edmonds a number of years ago and Metrotown more recently. If you bought at the start the unit prices went up slightly but then stayed relatively stable for many years before finally going up again once the building stopped.

I have a former colleague who purchased a unit in Edmonds for around $200,000 years ago. He ended up selling it for about $240,000 a few years later so earned a bit of money (was his primary residence so no capital gains) on it but the market was saturated as there were a bunch of other buildings going up. Today if he sold that unit, he would net $400,000+ given current market around there.

He sort of kicks himself but at the same time he had to sell because they were starting a family and they needed the money for a downpayment on a house out in Surrey. So for him it was ok but it just shows how many of these types of investments need to be long term if you want to make any good amount of money.

In Surrey Central right now, even for 2-bedroom condos, the increase in property values has been relatively flat. An example is my 1 bedroom. First year completed it shot up from the $150,000 I paid to $230,000. It has since hovered around that including last year's assessment.

Why? Because there are a lot of condos being built. Even if it dropped slightly it would have to drop below probably $180,000 for me to actually "lose" money on my return (doing quick math in my head so could be a bit off). It won't drop by $50,000 any time soon I don't think.

So I rent it out for enough that it pays for itself. Even though I am basically not making a profit on the unit, it pays for itself and a little bit extra to deal with unforeseen expenses which are virtually none given it is < 5 years old. But that was my long term plan. Live in a few years then move into something bigger and rent it out.

I may sell it one day but that will likely be in 10 years or so. By then you'll have virtually all the buildings around King George Station built up and more services and population base out in Surrey Central so I'd imagine the value will inch up from the $230,000 mark. Even if it stays the same over the next 10 years or raises to maybe $300,000 in that time, I still make a healthy profit on it and would deem it a good investment because the rent will go up over the next 10 years + my mortgage will go down meaning my equity will be even greater than it is today.

You're correct though that there are a lot more 1 bedrooms around and available so anyone expecting a huge profit is in for a surprise. Even if I sold today I'd make over $60,000 in profit if not a bit more after capital gains and fee and such.

I don't think anyone would laugh at a cheque for that amount of money.

At the end though it is still a gamble. Real-estate if invested in properly can be a relatively safe investment and lead to some good money in the longer term (look at the top billionaires in the world, many are in real-estate). But it is still a gamble and you do always run the risk of losing money on an investment. Some of it will always just be guess work and trying to predict the future.

I can educated guess how things will unfold in Surrey Central in the next 5 to 10 years, but I could be completely wrong at the end of the day who knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley