HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Too late (good ol' Montreal...).
But Montreal is one of the cheapest cities in Canada isn't it?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vancouver-->Montreal (1990s)
The former's real-estate prices were soaring; the latter was the best value for big city living.
It was very hard to leave on account of the beautiful scenery, wonderful outdoor lifestyle options, and abundance of hot Asian girls. Fortunately, these foregone aspects were compensated by Montreal's urban fabric, culture, and abundance of hot Québecoise girls.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:48 PM
Baltimore

If I had to leave Baltimore I would move to Kansas City, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or Richmond.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

chicago is also the perennial midwestern option, but my significant other isn't moving back after becoming accustomed to mild winters over the past 3 years. i also hate chicago in winter and thus am a little baby.

perhaps if zika and a warming climate pushes us out of what has become an upper south climate...not sure i want a memphis climate...although we pretty much already have one. kudzu has arrived and is growing over railyards here in st. louis, and sub-tropical canna bulbs overwinter in the ground.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:01 PM

If at all possible buy a place rather than renting then you can't get priced out by real estate soaring in value and rents shooting through the roof.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

This isn't too unrealistic a question for me if I ever decided I need to buy property that isn't a condo / stacked townhouse. The likely choice would be Hamilton, which for now is still relatively affordable and offers similar amenities to Toronto, and of course is increasingly connected to the city. Of course I don't expect these deals to last forever.

Failing that I think my only other choice in Canada would be Montreal. My French needs a LOT of work to get a job where I can recreate my current standard of living though.

I have been toying with the idea of working overseas for a few years lately while I'm still not tied down (preferably take an unpaid leave of absence). Of course this isn't necessarily cheaper, but my top choice at the moment would be South Africa after visiting some friends living there. If you are working as an expat it's incredibly cheap, moreso in Johannesburg over Cape Town due to wage differences. But I think that would be my first choice anyways.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:54 PM

Tough question. Two things I moved to my adopted city for: a) proximity to mountain wilderness and the climate, and b) decent city life. If I got priced out of Denver (which is not unlikely at this rate), I don’t think there is another city of its size and quality with equal proximity to wilderness and a desirable (to me) climate. Seattle and Portland are obvious substitutes, but neither is cheaper than Denver. So I would have to choose whether nature or built environment is more important.

For comparable access to nature and decent climate, I’d probably consider Spokane-Coeur d’Alene, Boise, SLC (maybe), and a few Montana towns (Bozeman, Missoula). For quality built environment at a discount price, I’d be looking at some of the Midwest/Rust Belt towns that are currently affordable, like Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. Philly and Chicago are clearly great cities, but I don’t know that they’re significantly cheaper than Denver.

Finally, I'm very intrigued by Manchester, NH. I’ve never been to NH, but from Google Maps, Manchester looks promising. It seems to have a great, if small, historic core and it seems that it hasn't been overly-gentrified yet. The proximity to both Boston and the White Mountains might allow me to get both my city and mountain fix pretty easily.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Finally, I'm very intrigued by Manchester, NH. I’ve never been to NH, but from Google Maps, Manchester looks promising. It seems to have a great, if small, historic core and it seems that it hasn't been overly-gentrified yet. The proximity to both Boston and the White Mountains might allow me to get both my city and mountain fix pretty easily.
i've always been intrigued by portland, maine, myself. you have proximity to mountainous parts of new england, boston, and a relatively wild seacoast, of course. new england feels damned good in summer.

also, i've always thought that sacramento was a bit of a sleeper, very overlooked outdoors-type city with reasonable weekend type proximity to the sierras, coast range, coasts/beaches (santa cruz, etc), and of course SF.

SF/Bay Area casts such a massive shadow over Sacramento. It's interesting to think of what Sacramento would have been like had it been along the coast where Eureka, CA is around 300 miles north. It would have been an interesting pacific northwest/nor-cal hybrid, perhaps.

Last edited by Centropolis; Mar 31, 2016 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

You'd have to get a better job or figure out a way to make more income. Thats if, you really care about your city. Sometimes the drive to live somewhere is more than enough motivation to seek a higher income. I think if people chose to live in a certain city, it should go along with a career. Example being somebody who chooses NYC because they know that in 5 years time, they can reach the level where they can be comfortable. Also consider city living based on dual income, because down the line. most get married. But if not, no city in the U.S. as a whole outprices people. Even in NYC, you can get a good deal. Don't expect SoHo or UWS, but if you look, even Manhattan can have some good deals.

Seattle's a good choice Centropolis.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:55 PM
It could be worse!

I'm currently living in London and definitely won't stay longer than a couple years, partly due to the cost of living. If I stay in Europe, Barcelona or Alicante would be my first choices; maybe somewhere in the Marche province in Italy as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i've always been intrigued by portland, maine, myself. you have proximity to mountainous parts of new england, boston, and a relatively wild seacoast, of course. new england feels damned good in summer.

also, i've always thought that sacramento was a bit of a sleeper, very overlooked outdoors-type city with reasonable weekend type proximity to the sierras, coast range, coasts/beaches (santa cruz, etc), and of course SF.

SF/Bay Area casts such a massive shadow over Sacramento. It's interesting to think of what Sacramento would have been like had it been along the coast where Eureka, CA is around 300 miles north. It would have been an interesting pacific northwest/nor-cal hybrid, perhaps.
Sacramento and Portland are good options. I don't like that Sacramento doesn't get four seasons, though. But I suppose a quick trip to the Sierras during winter could help with that.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:08 PM

Probably Sacramento. It's like a miniature Denver, without the crappy winters and trees that are dead for 8 months of the year.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:30 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

I don't see that happening anytime soon in Cleveland - certain neighborhoods are starting to get pricier, including where I live but it's still very affordable. If anything, I'd have to move to an adjacent neighborhood. If it *had* to be a different city, I think less expensive and close by (I wouldn't want to be too far from my family) would mean Akron or Youngstown but they're too small for my taste.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:59 PM

It depends what you do for a living, but incomes tend to be higher in more expensive cities as well, at least outside of a certain range. There are certainly places cheaper than London where I could go, but when you're talking about NY or SF as the cheaper alternative... well, I guess it's all relative.

As Steely said, Chicago is a great bargain in that it offers big city amenities and there are good positions to be found in most industries (finance included, and there are only a few American cities outside of NY that can claim that), while being pretty affordable.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:59 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
My city is already too expensive for anyone who has to work here. I mean, if you come from outside with a lot of money already it's a steal. To someone making Atlanta or DC money, $330k, the average price of a house in Buncombe County, is a bargain.

But that's no bargain when you consider that the average job in Asheville pays a pittance. The top three occupations in Asheville are office and administration positions, paying an average of $14.61/hour; food preparation and servers, paying $9.08/hour; and sales, paying $11.75/hour.

Consequently, my partner and I have been looking into Raleigh, Durham, Norfolk, and Richmond.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:30 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Several people mentioned Sacramento, and I considered it myself but eventually ruled it out. Thanks to ongoing migration from the Bay Area, the 'city' parts of Sacramento--the urban core and neighborhoods immediately adjacent--are increasingly expensive. The more affordable parts of the region are older, deteriorating postwar suburbs and the newer, treeless outer suburbs in flood-prone areas that were hit hardest by the repossession crisis. Urban and streetcar-suburban Sacramento was a bargain up until about a decade ago, but not today.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Detroit bears absolutely no resemblance to anywhere in New York.
Then you obviously have no idea what the city looks like, don't argue this, it's not worth it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:40 PM

detroit is more kansas city than new york.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:44 PM

there's always somewhere to cheap to go in chicago as long as you have a bulletproof body suit

otherwise a shack in new orleans

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:48 PM

Comparing Detroit to New York? Lol

I love living in Portland, but if I had to move somewhere cheaper I'd move to Chicago. I can't think of any other cheap-ish cities I'd want to live in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions