HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Interesting concept. Despite the replacement (or just displacement) of existing retail, corridors like this are probably the easier battle for intensification of this scale within the city. Other examples would include Upper James, stretches of Mohawk, Upper Wentworth, and there are many more.

Perhaps somewhere along that 50-year time horizon Collins will have been replaced by a councilor that is not hostile toward LRT, and an extension will happen to better serve this kind of density. Though if he stays healthy, I wouldn't count on that.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:57 AM

^I think his mommy made him councillor when he was 17 so, yeah, I wouldn't count on it...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:38 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton to study closing streets to vehicles to create short-term pedestrian-only malls

https://www.thespec.com/local-stoney...mended_for_you

Pittsburgh, Toronto and Bogota, Colombia allow it.

And St. Catharines has seen an economic benefit after it shut down its main downtown streets to traffic for the last two years to encourage pedestrians to shop and eat at local restaurants.

Now Mayor Fred Eisenberger wants Hamilton to close streets in the downtown, and possibly other business improvement areas across the city to traffic, to “pedestrianize” those roadways, if only for a weekend.

“I have long said it has been (a) desire to create a circumstance where we can pedestrianize streets in our city,” said Eisenberger. “I have witnessed the impacts and the effects of that in various streets around the world.”

He said that in Bogota, Columbia, during the weekends, the city closes down its streets to traffic and allows the public to swarm the downtown corridor. Bogota popularized the open streets idea in 1974 by closing down 76 miles of streets on Sundays to vehicles to allow walkers, runners and cyclists room to roam. The idea has spread to about 400 cities worldwide.

Toronto created ActiveTO in 2020 to allow the public to use the roadways for running, walking and cycling during summer weekends as COVID-19 restrictions kept people indoors.

St. Catharines officials closed down its main downtown streets in 2020 to create pedestrian-only malls and allow businesses to expand their patios so they could accommodate customers during the provincial COVID-19 restrictions. In 2021, the idea has seen pop-up vendors, musical entertainment and other attractions appear for the public to enjoy. The initiative has proved popular, with the streets closed to traffic on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Eisenberger suggested that Hamilton can look at shutting down either Main or King streets from Victoria to Dundurn to traffic on weekends during the spring and summer seasons. He also had other areas in mind, including Concession Street on the Mountain and downtown Waterdown.

“There are a number of areas where we could give back to people these streets for a limited period of time. It would reanimate and reinvigorate these spaces, provide more activity for the businesses,” said Eisenberger. “I think now is an appropriate time. There is an opportunity here.”

Hamilton already has streets that allow for pedestrians to stroll about, such as along King William Street, the so-called “restaurant row,” and during Art Crawl, said Ward 2 Coun. Jason Farr.

He suggested that the Piers 5, 6 and 7 boardwalk, as part of the city’s $140-million West Harbour Development — once it's open to the public — possibly in the spring of 2022, could prohibit vehicles.

Mountain Coun. Esther Pauls was excited about the possibilities of closing off traffic during short periods of time within BIAs.

“This is a great, great initiative,” said Pauls, chair of the BIA advisory committee. “I can’t wait to go to the next meeting to get them excited.”

But Ancaster Coun. Lloyd Ferguson was the lone councillor who opposed the idea. He said blocking off downtown streets would prevent people from the suburban areas from driving into the core to eat and shop. He said for most people living in the suburbs, the only transportation option to travel to the downtown is by vehicle.

“You can’t ride a bike down the 403,” he said.

“My community loves restaurant row. But if you make it impossible to come, they won’t come. If you chase the suburban people away, (it makes) it impossible for people to get down there.”

At their Oct. 20 general issues committee meeting, councillors recommended in a 11-to-1 vote that staff study how to close off various city streets during the weekends.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
But Ancaster Coun. Lloyd Ferguson was the lone councillor who opposed the idea. He said blocking off downtown streets would prevent people from the suburban areas from driving into the core to eat and shop. He said for most people living in the suburbs, the only transportation option to travel to the downtown is by vehicle.

“You can’t ride a bike down the 403,” he said.

“My community loves restaurant row. But if you make it impossible to come, they won’t come. If you chase the suburban people away, (it makes) it impossible for people to get down there.”
Of course. Hello Lloyd? They're not talking about shutting down the entire area.

Besides, I thought the suburban crowd, especially Ancasterites, never come downtown because there's nothing there for them? That's based on the anti-LRT letters about a "train to nowhere" and such, so it may be a tad anecdotal.

Anyway, this is a great idea. I can see shutting down blocks of James, or Augusta, or even parts of Barton for a weekend -- I think it will only work if there is enough retail and food and amenities on the street. Hence Main doesn't seem appropriate, but parts of King might be, especially through the International Village and between Queen and Caroline.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Of course. Hello Lloyd? They're not talking about shutting down the entire area.

Besides, I thought the suburban crowd, especially Ancasterites, never come downtown because there's nothing there for them? That's based on the anti-LRT letters about a "train to nowhere" and such, so it may be a tad anecdotal.

Anyway, this is a great idea. I can see shutting down blocks of James, or Augusta, or even parts of Barton for a weekend -- I think it will only work if there is enough retail and food and amenities on the street. Hence Main doesn't seem appropriate, but parts of King might be, especially through the International Village and between Queen and Caroline.
Don't forget since he refuses to vote to end area rating, transit investments can't properly be made into this suburban areas, which is a large part of the reason a car is the only method. It's strange how Hamilton's suburbs are even more exclusive to the rich because taking the bus is literally not available, compared to wealthy areas in Toronto and the suburbs have easy and we'll used access to transit.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:01 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Don't forget since he refuses to vote to end area rating, transit investments can't properly be made into this suburban areas, which is a large part of the reason a car is the only method. It's strange how Hamilton's suburbs are even more exclusive to the rich because taking the bus is literally not available, compared to wealthy areas in Toronto and the suburbs have easy and we'll used access to transit.
Definitely. The suburban councillors, and especially this guy, have literally backed themselves up into corners when it comes to transit.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:44 PM

"I can see shutting down blocks of James, or Augusta, or even parts of Barton for a weekend"

The Barton Village BIA already shut down Barton for three Saturdays this summer in lieu of the Barton Street Festival.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:54 PM
Hammer'd

I don't see much of a point to shutting down any portion of Main through downtown but I'm 100% onboard with shutting down King all the way from Victoria or Wellington to Dundurn. If they're ambitious enough, they could also trial a temporary 2 way conversion of Main during the closure as a pilot for a permanent conversion. Seems to make sense with LRT happening in the next few years which will basically kill King as a thoroughfare anyway. If the temporary closures are successful enough, they could make it permanent after LRT is finished.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:07 PM

Dundurn may be a bit much, but I don't mind the idea of King from Wellington to James. West of there it's needed a bit more to access the 403 from downtown and doesn't have as successful of a retail presence anyway.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

I can see this working for Locke St, Concession St, Augusta St, Westdale, and James St N. Plus it seems Doug Ford's liberal approach to alcohol maybe people will be allowed to drink on the streets if it's closed. No stupid beer tents.

Maybe have a competition to design the gates like King William.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure