HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 10:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://www.wwltv.com/katrina-anniver...102389449.html

Contract awarded to build the stretch of park along the river from Governor Nicholls St. and Pauline St. Construction set to begin in October!

According to the article, the contract was awarded for $24 million, but I remember read the first phase was to cost $30 million. I wonder if it was scaled back? The article doesn't mention anything about it.
One of the few positives about the world economy is that many bids are coming in 10-15% below projected costs!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Is it just me or did the LCRC look much better in the renderings? Welcome addition to the skyline none the less.

Completely agree. the renderings that were put out did no justice, mainly because it showed the non-glass side facing awayfrom the interstate. Hillier had other renderings that were much better. But overall the building is much nicer and taller than the renderings showed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 1:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Completely agree. the renderings that were put out did no justice, mainly because it showed the non-glass side facing awayfrom the interstate. Hillier had other renderings that were much better. But overall the building is much nicer and taller than the renderings showed.
Pretty sure he is saying the renderings were nice than it turned out!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 2:53 AM

So far the LCRC looks fine to me. I will hold final comment until the entire project is done. On another note, the new 5-6 floor apartments going up in NOE are going to be a big addition to the skyline out there. The main framework is done, and I'll be interested in seeing what the exterior looks like when it's finished.

Also...does anyone have any idea what is going on with the old Rault Center. It's been completely gutted...with just the steel and concrete framework in place. Are they going to reskin the building and try to convert it to something useful or is it being prepared for demo? Very strange that absolutely nothing has been said about it in the local media.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
So far the LCRC looks fine to me. I will hold final comment until the entire project is done. On another note, the new 5-6 floor apartments going up in NOE are going to be a big addition to the skyline out there. The main framework is done, and I'll be interested in seeing what the exterior looks like when it's finished.

Also...does anyone have any idea what is going on with the old Rault Center. It's been completely gutted...with just the steel and concrete framework in place. Are they going to reskin the building and try to convert it to something useful or is it being prepared for demo? Very strange that absolutely nothing has been said about it in the local media.
No Idea whats going on with it to be honest. Passed by there and didnt see anything but it looks to me like several adjacent buildings are being worked on as well. I doubt the building will be torn down since it could be cheaper to just build something inside the framework of the building! Maybe next time im in city hall which is usually weekly Ill see if I can pull a permit and see whats going on!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 4:43 AM
-

Anyone know what this project is? Sounds pretty massive!

Project Description
Site work and new construction of a mixed-use facility in New Orleans. Completed plans call for 570,000 square feet of retail space, including 81,200 square feet of restaurant space. There will be four, four-story senior housing buildings and two, ..

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1360363.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 5:25 AM
TL;DR

Well, it's probably either a trial balloon for the Entergy site, or it could be for Lake Forest Plaza.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 8:51 PM

Project Description
Site work and new construction of a mixed-use facility in New Orleans. Completed plans call for 570,000 square feet of retail space, including 81,200 square feet of restaurant space. There will be four, four-story senior housing buildings and two, ..

Where is that going to be located?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 9:24 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

We should never have torn down our stadium in the first place. (We're still the only university to have ever hosted the Super Bowl...)

Super Bowl VIII in 1974 was hosted by Rice University at Rice Stadium in Houston.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Pretty sure he is saying the renderings were nice than it turned out!
Sorry bout that, misread the post. I found the initial renderings to be kinda bland. Nevertheless, the final product will likely look much different than it looks now.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, it's probably either a trial balloon for the Entergy site, or it could be for Lake Forest Plaza.
I think you might be right about the entergy site because I believe in the plan there is something called 9 muses square and it had 4 mid size buildings of the same height so that could be the senior housing. either way its a huge complex!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I think you might be right about the entergy site because I believe in the plan there is something called 9 muses square and it had 4 mid size buildings of the same height so that could be the senior housing. either way its a huge complex!
Wait so this is not to be confused with "The Muses" that just opened on Felicity and Baronne?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 5:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
You're right, but that was just a speculative part of the Reinventing the Crescent proposal. As far as I know, the developers of Entergy don't have any connection with Reinventing the Crescent. NOBC (which is leading the development of the riverfront parks, slowly) hasn't announced anything.

Nine Muses Square was envisioned as a series of 4-story buildings around a square, occupying the Convention Center's expansion site.

Entergy Plant and Nine Muses Square

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Super Bowl VIII in 1974 was hosted by Rice University at Rice Stadium in Houston.
There's also the LA Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, Stanford Stadium and the Orange Bowl.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 8:46 PM

The first of 100 residential properties in the footprint of the new VA hospital in Mid-City were moved Friday.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...n_central.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 9:15 PM

Iberville Redevelopment may be for real

Looks like the prospect of a redeveloped Iberville Project is growing traction.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...210.xml&coll=1

This would be great news for CBD/FQ/Treme!!

Last edited by Blitzen; Sep 10, 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 5:25 AM

some of those houses don't even look like they're worth moving. They're falling apart. It's amazing the amount of uproar these preservationists cause over a heavily blighted area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 3:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
some of those houses don't even look like they're worth moving. They're falling apart. It's amazing the amount of uproar these preservationists cause over a heavily blighted area.
I can see what your saying but Ive been involved in a restoration of a house that was quite old and they are truly worth saving if its possible. The house we renovated was supposedly built in 1860; however, once we got into the project it was discovered much of the house was from 1793 and it was made of wood from boats floated down the Mississippi. It was actually one of the main slave houses for the Saulet plantation. Anyway, the point is this city should do what it can to preserve the past and allow for the future growth that is required. It looks like we are able to accomplish both here and that is an amazing thing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 3:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Looks like the prospect of a redeveloped Iberville Project is growing traction.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...210.xml&coll=1

This would be great news for CBD/FQ/Treme!!

I dont think there is one greater thing that can be done for the French Quarter/CBD/Canal street than to address this.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 6:56 PM

The city seems to be really coming together.In the next few years we may have a cohesive physical landscape.As a former resident of the lsu va hospital area i am glad that they are moving the houses.In the future they will be needed as the city grows back its population.I was against the new hospital at first but then realized how important it is to bringing the city out of the dark ages of the last two decades.The city needs to be pragmatic on development and should work with the private sector on getting the Treme area redeveloped.The Treme is an integral location being conjunct to developing and developed historical areas.There is going to be upscale development on St Benard soon,and there is already the two new buildings on Rampart.Making sure that Circle Foods returns as a modern Grocery able to service a diverse group of citizens is also important.Cleaning up north claiborne will start with the new hospital and Greenway but needs to continue with getting rid of the Iberville projects.Whatever they decide to do with the interstate,that corridor needs to be fixed so that when going to the quarter,hospital/cbd,bywater,fair grounds,you don't have to drive through a blighted eyesore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations