HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
On Guard For Thee

My "guess" here is that LIUNA insisted on office space because the way the deal is/was brokered--it was a guaranteed money-maker. Like it or not, finding funding for projects downtown is not easy--the Lister redo was a solid business case with a tenant signed on the line--exactly what LIUNA required to get the financing for the project. Hotel projects are particularly dicey as far as financing goes--especially when you're dealing with potentially expensive adaptive reuse...hence LIUNA's subsequent problems getting financing for the Connaught (which, in case you've forgotten, is consortium-owned of which LIUNA is merely a part). Althought there is a "lack" of Class A space downtown (relative to Class B)--this project would not be flying if LIUNA didn't have the city signed up and committed.

Really--as evil as LIUNA is painted--this is a business project, not a charity case. Damning them for structuring a deal that is profitable is nonsense.

Metrus "vacated" the tenants from the property with the sole intent of demolishing it, and the economic bust of the early 1990s is all that prevented that very thing from happening.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:47 AM

Getting financing for downtown hotel projects is anything but dicey - there is one completed and three active hotel construction/renovation projects on the go downtown - and that's not counting the Connaught. These projects secured financing and are proceeding (or are finished in the case of Staybridge Suites), so the financing is available. The Connaught consortium claim to have trouble getting financing, but, seeing as four other projects did not, I would have to say the financing issue is a) due to issues the financiers have with the Connaught redevelopment team specifically, or b) a 'exaggeration' being used to set up another crisis to force yet another government handout. Given their history, I go with option b.

I am really surprised that those who are best described as right-wing politically and pro-business are defending union-based corporate welfare bums like LIUNA. I would expect their line to be more along the lines of 'if you can't develop using your own dime, move over and let those who can develop the site'

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Metrus "vacated" the tenants from the property with the sole intent of demolishing it, and the economic bust of the early 1990s is all that prevented that very thing from happening.
Revisionist history strikes again. In case you have missed the entire Lister saga, LIUNA had similar plans for Lister as Metrus had. The economic bust of the 90's wasn't what prevented Lister from being demolished - it was the heritage designation that kept Metrus from demolishing and rebuilding on the site, and that is what has been keeping LIUNA from doing the same. LIUNA has been letting Lister rot for five years hoping that they can convince the city to drop the heritage designation so they can demolish and build new on the site. Metrus and LIUNA are two peas in a pod.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Getting financing for downtown hotel projects is anything but dicey - there is one completed and three active hotel construction/renovation projects on the go downtown - and that's not counting the Connaught. These projects secured financing and are proceeding (or are finished in the case of Staybridge Suites), so the financing is available. The Connaught consortium claim to have trouble getting financing, but, seeing as four other projects did not, I would have to say the financing issue is a) due to issues the financiers have with the Connaught redevelopment team specifically, or b) a 'exaggeration' being used to set up another crisis to force yet another government handout. Given their history, I go with option b.

I am really surprised that those who are best described as right-wing politically and pro-business are defending union-based corporate welfare bums like LIUNA. I would expect their line to be more along the lines of 'if you can't develop using your own dime, move over and let those who can develop the site'
Financing for new construction is pretty basic because costs are generally simple to calculate. In a reno project like the Connaught, the risk of cost overruns, huge overruns, is high. Banks and lenders don't really like risk and tend to pass on those.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:55 AM
Closed account

maybe they should have found out what type of financing they could get BEFORE buying a designated heritage property. Smart business people?? Doesn't sound like it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
Closed account

Outspoken T.O. developer eyes Lister

December 19, 2007
Andrew Dreschel
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 19, 2007)

The man once dubbed the "Condo King" of Toronto is looking at getting involved in Hamilton's two most significant but stalled downtown redevelopment projects -- the Lister Block and the Royal Connaught Hotel.

High-profile developer Harry Stinson says he wants to buy the Lister and convert the vacant eyesore in the core into a retail and residential showcase.

"I'm interested in it certainly as a potential project, if it's available," said Stinson.

"My preference is ownership. My preference is to say, 'What's the number, guys?'"

Stinson says he's already had "informal" talks with Joe Mancinelli of Labourers' International Union of North America, which bought the decaying landmark at James and King William for $1.6 million in 1999.

"I would say they're cordial and he's open to discussion," said Stinson, "and I would say the conversations have been far more constructive than I expected."

Stinson toured the inside of the Lister yesterday.

But in an interview, Mancinelli insisted the building is not for sale.

Mancinelli says the issue with the Lister is not ownership. It's whether the city, which is supposed to be the anchoring tenant, will sign a lease that's more expensive than anticipated because of the high cost of renovating the heritage building.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger has said a higher lease could be "problematic" for the city's continued participation.

"A change in ownership won't change those numbers," said Mancinelli. Nonetheless, Mancinelli is meeting with Stinson today.

Mancinelli says if the city walks away from the Lister project, he might consider bringing Stinson on board in an expanded partnership to find a new solution. But Mancinelli says the focus of today's meeting is to talk about the possibility of Stinson helping the consortium that's renovating the Connaught on King East, in which LIUNA is a key stakeholder.
That project has fallen on hard times since a group of local investors bought the 1916 landmark hotel for $4.5 million in 2005.

Mancinelli says the Connaught group is changing its plans because it's been unable to find financial backers to pay for the massive renovations.

"The financial institutions will not fund a five-star hotel in Hamilton, that's the bottom line."

Instead, the consortium is looking at redesigning the project and pitching it to a more realistic market.

"Financial institutions want to see new numbers, a new plan. And I'm sure with the new plan we're coming out with, including two condo towers on the southeast corner of the property ... financing won't be an issue anymore."

Mancinelli says Stinson could play a "significant role" because of his own experience in creating the landmark condo-hotel, 1 King West, in downtown Toronto.

That building is now entangled in receivership and legal battles. Stinson, 54, is embroiled with theatre baron David Mirvish, who largely financed the project.

The conflict has not only tarnished Stinson's golden reputation, it's taken a financial toll.

In March, he filed for bankruptcy protection as a result of the $12-million dispute with Mirvish.

In September, a Toronto Star reporter asked Stinson if he was broke.

"Of course I am, but so is the United States," he replied.

Last month, the successful realtor turned visionary developer made a splash in Hamilton when he was invited by local architect John Mokrycke to address a United Way fundraiser.

Since then, Stinson hasn't been shy about sharing his impressions or interest in downtown development.

He maintains the Lister and Connaught are crucial "bellwether buildings" for what is or is not happening in the core.

He sees momentum downtown, grass creeping through the stones.

"But I think it needs some catalytic event that people will say, 'OK, now it's really worth thinking about fixing up my facade, or selling my building, or converting my parking lot.'"

Stinson says a redeveloped Lister and Connaught have the potential to send an "enormous message."

Given his own financial difficulties, it's not clear whether Stinson pictures himself as a creative spark, a magnet for other investors, or a hands-on visionary.

Regardless, Mancinelli argues the Connaught is still a "blockbuster" project. And that the plan for Lister -- which would see the city move a department into the restored building and access a $7-million provincial grant in the process -- remains the best proposal.

"I'm still convinced that the project we have is viable. All we need to do is fine-tune the numbers to make sure it works for us and the city."

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/298465

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
Closed account

I love it. Gee, residential showcase? Where have we heard that idea before?
I hope this guy gets involved.... we need a sparkplug of creativity here to get things happening. It surely won't with our crop of local builders.
This is great news.
Go for it Harry!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I love it. Gee, residential showcase? Where have we heard that idea before?

hahaha Hmmm???? It makes u wonder sometimes as to who is lurking around this site reading our comments, eh?
But hey, I'm not complaining... LURK AWAY... steal our ideas!! They're here for the taking!!
Thanks, Harry

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

I really hope Stinson gets involved with the Connaught Hotel the most. Let LIUNA go ahead with Lister Block, if Stinson can help financially then fantastic.

Let Stinson have majority stake at the Connaught Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
Closed account

actually, I hope he gets involved in both. Lister is just BEGGING to be condos. It would transform that area. We don't need another building full of cubicles sitting empty everyday after 6pm. Imagine the life on the street with a building full of NY style apartments/condos? would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 1:44 PM
Closed account

I would try my hardest to get a unit in that place if that were the case. But I still think a Hotel/Condo mix would be best. Create a demand for those units by limiting them to the top 2 floors or something, hotel on the lower levels, retail at street level.

With the tourist attractions in the area, I think it's screaming HOTEL/CONDO!
And if anyone knows anything about condo-hotel mix, it'd be Stinson, right?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 1:52 PM

I hope LIUNA sells, or perhaps partners with Stinson. Stinson declared bankruptcy earlier this year so I'm not sure he'll have any better luck with financing, but putting residential in Lister is such a better idea than office space that it could help him make a better business case. Same goes for Connaught: if there's no money for a hotel, make it something else, possibly condos, maybe office space, whatever's feasible and will stop the decay. I have no idea if the "corporate centre" half of the Connaught building is suitable for modern offices.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:30 PM
Closed account

I agree about the connaught as well.
If they were to add residential on the top couple of floors (like originally planned) then they would have a constant source of income from their condo fees, not to mention the fact that these permanant residents would use the hotel's services, too.

So hopefully Stinson jumps on Connaught and gets the ball rolling. Even if he can't/doesn't buy it, he should be able to motivate the current group of owners to act ASAP!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't think Stinson can afford these projects himself so I rather have him join up with the group at the Connaught Hotel. Just having his name attached to the group might make it easier with the banks.

I say keep the Lister project going, hopefully maybe Stinson can chip in a few million so coucnillors won't have to face an increase on the rates. Doing this could help Stinson make some money again as really he has to start all over again because of 1 King West problems.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 4:11 PM

If nothing else, Stinson is bringing new perspective and positive energy to the redevelopment discussions. I'd be thrilled if he could convince/collaborate with LIUNA to develop these properties in a more suitable fashion. Especially if it doesn't require more of our tax dollars.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 4:41 PM

It's getting way past the point where I'd like to see LIUNA completely removed from both of these projects. Their constant foot dragging and whining is bringing down the entire downtown core. I wish there was a way to get them kicked out for good. Clearly, despite the speculation to the contrary earlier in this thread, there IS some serious interest in both of these properties. Meanwhile LIUNA keeps holding out for the best deal for them (i.e. how to get the most free money from the city -- that means from *us*, the already stretched-to-the-wire taxpayers). And the whole while, downtown revitalization stays on hold because nobody wants to jump in before these projects get started, and no one who is capable of starting these projects can get their hands on them because LIUNA won't let go. Sickening.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:40 PM
BANNED

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Harry to come to the rescue. I agree that he is a man of vision and has done some great things in Toronto.

He is also a man with the Mirvish family on his as$ in court. They bankrolled his great idea and were left holding the bag on the failure of the 1 King project.

If he is looking for a new group of suckers to fund his grand visions, he may be out of luck.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:45 PM

I've never liked the current Lister deal: first, because I don't like the city wasting money on an overpriced lease; and second, because the plan involves tearing down the buildings on either side of Lister. I also don't think it will be restored nicely, LIUNA's preference is demolition.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 9:12 PM

Just cause LIUNA made some good looking restorations in the past (well, one anyway) doesn't mean they'll ever do it again. Why do we keep bending over for these guys? There's likely more to the story than any of us know. In the meantime they hold an entire downtown economically hostage.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Just cause LIUNA made some good looking restorations in the past (well, one anyway) doesn't mean they'll ever do it again. Why do we keep bending over for these guys? There's likely more to the story than any of us know. In the meantime they hold an entire downtown economically hostage.

LIUNA has done 3 actually, their offices on Hughson St. and LIUNA Gardens were well done as well. The gardens were created from a gutted nightclub called El Morocco in the '70s.

I honestly think that LIUNA are the only guys who can pull a restoration off. They have a track record, access to a large and flexbile pool of labour and political muscle to get the province and feds (sometimes) to chip in.

When I look at the other recent larger complex restoration/rebuild attemps: Dundurn Lofts, Trinity Landing, Chateau Royal, those failures can be attributed to inexperience mostly. It is great to be in the business of restoring these things but it's ALOT harder than any of us can imagine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton