HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:22 AM

Urban Rail Scenes: CP Belt Line

I love how the railways intersect with the city in interesting ways and add their own scenery to a neighbourhood. In contrast to the blandness of urban highways, railway tracks are a source of adventure and intrigue. This particular beauty was built in 1899 to connect the TH&B Railways mainline to the north end to compete with the Grand Trunk for the massive freight tonnage that flowed from Hamilton's industry.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:09 AM
Hammer'd

The CP Belt line is a great little plot of track. It really gets intimate with a lot of the properties along King, Main, Cannon, Barton, etc. This photo series also argues what I've been saying re: passenger service on these tracks. Look how close they are to people's houses. Literally a couple of feet away in some instances. You couldn't get away with any type of heavy rail in those cases without safety concerns. With that said, if CP allowed, this right of way would be perfect for a North/South Light Rail line.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:28 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Would anyone mind hi-lighting this line on a map so that I can see where it is? Or showing me where a map with it on it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Closed account

yea, where is this?
I assume somewhere in central Hamilton. Looks great.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hammer'd

It's the rail line that crosses King, Cannon, Barton, etc. near Gage. It basically runs parallel with Gage for the most part.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:20 AM
Closed account

yea, that's what I thought.
I love the stretch by Connaught Fish and Chips. Nice gardens line the track.
A friend of mine used to live on Elm St by the tracks when we were kids. We'd play on them all the time.
It sure would be cool to see LRT using this line.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:56 AM

Good idea for pictures. I like the way these tracks intersect the buildings on an angle at Gage and Main.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:40 PM

Try this: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.052872&z=14

It'st the north/south section. The photos are all from King St. north to the railyard just past Gage. I have yet to hit the south section where it joins the Kinnear Yard at Gage and Lawrence Rd.

The line is used rarely and is in rough shape. The rails are not continuous welded and some sections are sunken so the rails appear crooked. Under the bridge where the CN tracks cross it was actually flooded the day I took these shots. Also, you don't see it in the map but there are some tight turns along here.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:18 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Try this: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.052872&z=14

It'st the north/south section. The photos are all from King St. north to the railyard just past Gage. I have yet to hit the south section where it joins the Kinnear Yard at Gage and Lawrence Rd.

The line is used rarely and is in rough shape. The rails are not continuous welded and some sections are sunken so the rails appear crooked. Under the bridge where the CN tracks cross it was actually flooded the day I took these shots. Also, you don't see it in the map but there are some tight turns along here.
Cool thanks! I'm surprised the lines can be used if they are in the state you say they are.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:34 PM
Closed account

its like a wooden rollercoaster.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 6:46 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
its like a wooden rollercoaster.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:10 PM

Yeah this isn't like England. Our rail system is quite primitive and you'd be surprised what our trains can run on.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 10:29 PM

It doesn't really matter about the quality of the rail, as its basically only used by low speed switchers.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos