HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:56 PM

Thats a real project? I honestly thought you guys were kidding that something like that would get build in the NWT!

What in the world is it for? Mining operations?

Edit* Never mind I read up on it... pretty cool looking bridge, not nearly as expensive as it looks though.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 6:13 PM

This is like a lot of issues and projects in the north, If you are not up there you miss a lot. Getting the money is tough to start. The Feds have been saying for years that a deep water port is coming, but they keep saying it.

Resolute is expanding the Arctic Shelf research center.

Inuvik has a northern research center being built.

An Inuit culture center is being built in Clyde River.

Rankin has a Trade school and Healing centers going in.

Paulatuk will get a nickle mine.
Baffinlands is building an Iron mine south of Pond inlet.

And there is lots of housing going in.

Maybe we need a Northern Thread. Yukon, NWT and Nunavut.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 2:58 PM
Urban Fanactic

This is the international bridge in Sault Ste. Marie (partly owned by Canada).

The Bridge behind it is the rail bridge that crosses the St. Mary's River. The bridge lifts up when ships are approaching the lock system.
Below is the Hwy 6 swing bridge that connects Manitoulin Island with the mainland near Espanola in Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:27 PM

the manitoulin bridge brings back memories. driving from nova scotia to lake mindemoya on manitoulin island, getting to the bridge and waiting to cross. havent been to the island in probably 6 or 7 years. its pretty old, has there been any talk of ever replacing it?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:33 PM
gettin' rich!

http://dcnonl.com/article/id40685

Coast Meridian Overpass built in increments to avoid disruptions

PETER KENTER

correspondent

Port Coquitlam, B.C. is a town cut in half by a rail yard that requires residents to use underpasses at either end of the city to traverse town.

Introducing the new Coast Meridian Overpass (CMO), a 580-metre long cable-stayed bridge that provides the city with a new north-south link and supplies four vehicle lanes, two bicycle lanes and a pedestrian path.

The $135-million project is made up of twin steel box girders and a composite concrete deck and employs 5,000 tonnes of structural steel.

Built by contractor SNC-Lavalin Constructors Pacific and designed by International Bridge Technologies, Inc. of San Diego, the project represents the first incrementally launched cable-stayed steel bridge in North America.

The superstructure was built by George Third & Son (GTS) and Dynamic Structures.

The design challenge for the bridge was crossing 50 parallel sets of tracks in the CPR rail yard without disrupting train traffic or rail operations. The solution: install concrete piers at strategic locations throughout the rail yard, then build the bridge in sections, feeding it forward across the piers until it reached the other side.

“There was a lot of discussion on the design,” says Robert Gale, Senior Engineer with Somerset Engineering/KWH Constructors, the launching contractor for the project and a division of GTS.

“The steel box girders were three metres deep, and they needed to clear the train envelope, so designing a cable-stayed bridge allowed us to get away with that. It was basically a go-round of making sure you had enough clearance of the structure, strong enough to launch across the piers but designed to remain in a permanent position for a century. The bridge was designed with six per cent approaches on either end, to get traffic up and over the rail yard.”

Construction of a bridge had been discussed as early as 1913, but this particular project had been in the planning stage for about 20 years. Much of the recent discussion involved negotiations with CPR to build the bridge in the air space over private property.

“They didn’t want their operations impacted at all,” says Gale.

“We had to limit the piers to as few as possible and that’s one of the reasons we chose steel for the bridge. Concrete would have been heavier and would have required more piers to be built.”

The final design involved six spans over a single row of five concrete piers with drilled steel shafts and concrete pier heads placed to avoid the tracks.

“On some projects, you launch the bridge all in one go, or launch it from both directions,” says Gale. “In this case, we incrementally launched the bridge from the south, as we added structure to the back of it.”

Five bridge deck sections were delivered over four months, then bolted and spliced together, with the longest sections delivered last.The bridge was clamped, then moved forward a few feet at a time using hydraulic rams.

Rollers on the top of the piers smoothed the progress of the growing structure.

Temporary cable stays helped to keep the bridge in line.

The company had previously used the launching system on the Kicking Horse Bridge project but modified it for the CMO.

“We had a little more deflection of the bridge than we initially expected,” says Gale. “But we learned how to compensate for that.”

The sixth and final span was conventionally constructed, using a crane.

Construction began in March 2008 and, despite the project challenges, the bridge opened on time to traffic exactly two years later in March 2010.

Gale says he also had an ulterior motive for cheering on the completion of the bridge.

“The offices of Dynamic Structures are located a couple of blocks from one end of the bridge,” he says. “It really saves me a lot of time driving to work.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:58 PM

Saskatoon's first traffic bridge to be demolished

Enjoy this piece of Canadian history while it lasts. The Traffic Bridge in Saskatoon is going to be demolished. This Parker truss bridge was built in 1907.

Photo by me (Daryl Mitchell) - Creative Commons license

Bridge to be replaced
Majority on council opt not to preserve Traffic Bridge

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix
December 7, 2010

Saskatoon's founding bridge is history.

After months of public debate on the future of the 103-year-old Traffic Bridge, city council on Monday voted 8-3 in favour of demolishing the south downtown icon and replacing it with a modern steel truss bridge with wider lanes -- termed a "PT Cruiser" by one councillor -- for an estimated $27 million to $34 million. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/B...#ixzz18xFdm9mg

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 1:10 AM

Somebody may have posted this already..
but Humber Bridge in Toronto (pedestrian and bike):

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 5:58 AM

Great pics and info on all these great bridges so far!
Maybe to keep this thread alive and relevant[since most roadway bridges have now been featured], the great railway bridges and trestles could be included in this great thread!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 6:49 AM

Not the most interesting but here's the historic CN bridge over the 16 mile creek in Oakville:

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 8:57 AM

Thats a beauty! I'm guessing late 20's early 30's?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Not the most interesting but here's the historic CN bridge over the 16 mile creek in Oakville:
I cross this bridge twice a day on the GO train from Hamilton to Toronto and back. Always liked the view it provided.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:51 PM

i love the ctrain one. one can imagine what HSR would look like going through ol Alberta. hahah very good pictures everyone and merry Christmas to all.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 11:47 PM

Here is an impressive recent picture of the south approach of the new Port Mann Bridge.

Look at how wide it is! (compare it to the existing 5 lane Port Mann Bridge beside it).

source:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/...0a658bc8_b.jpg

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 7:51 PM

Boy was I wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'd be surprised if it cost billions but around a billion for sure. Good to see that aging infrastructure in Mtl getting replaced.
Quote:
Feds announce $5B replacement to Champlain Bridge
Tolls will likely be collected to help pay for structure
CBC News Posted: Oct 5, 2011 12:13 PM ET

A $5-billion bridge is in the works to replace Montreal's aging Champlain Bridge and it will come "at very low or no cost to taxpayers," according to the federal transport minister.

Denis Lebel called the project "one of the most important of the decade," as he made the announcement Wednesday in Montreal, alongside Mayor Gérald Tremblay.

Tremblay called the project "an investment that will be very important to the [economy] but also the social and sustainable development of the greater Montreal area."

"It has important consequences for Quebec, but also Canada," he said.

The financing details haven't been released, but Lebel said the federal government prefers the project be a public-private partnership, limiting costs to taxpayers.

He also indicated the new structure would likely be a toll bridge.

The Champlain Bridge was officially opened as a toll bridge in 1962. The tolls were eventually abolished in 1990.

Even before Wednesday’s announcement, talk of a new bridge had renewed calls by some south shore politicians to restore and expand toll charges to help pay for municipal infrastructure.

“The governments seem to be out of money,” said Brossard city councillor Alexandre Plante.

“We’re facing big challenges in terms of money to put into our infrastructure. If you use the roads, you have to pay for it.”

Chateauguay mayor Nathalie Simon said as long as the toll revenues were used to support transit and are fairly divided, she would support charging tolls on all of the city’s bridges and tunnels.

“If the money’s going to help us to provide new bus transportation or public transit or maintain our infrastructure, that’s good,” she said.

“But if that goes into a whole budget at the federal level that we won’t see any money, that’s another thing.”

'Between the cup and the lip, there are many slips. So all we have is an announcement.' —Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae

Even with the federal commitment, it will still be at least a decade before the new bridge opens.

That drew criticism from Liberal MPs, including interim leader Bob Rae.

"We don’t have a plan today and we don’t have a new bridge today," he said.

"What we have is an announcement. Between the cup and the lip, there are many slips. So all we have is an announcement."

A recent report on the bridge's condition estimated that major repairs to prolong its life would cost an estimated $25 million over the next decade.

The report, released in July, concluded the bridge would have to be replaced eventually, even with repairs.

Montreal Liberal MP Denis Coderre pointed to a 2006 report which said the Champlain had 10 years of useable life left.

"Well, 2006 plus 10 years is 2016. And then we’re up to 2021. So that’s an important element. It’s a question of safety."

Lebel said the federal government will continue spending to maintain the existing bridge until a new structure is built.

"The Champlain Bridge is safe, but it does need maintenance," he said. "It is clear that we won't be able to repair it forever. We have to take action to replace it."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...-montreal.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 8:14 PM
gettin' rich!

Hey I was right, you see, and I didn't need an MBA to tell me that!

lol!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 8:19 PM

Boy did I ever waste my money.

I still don't understand/believe how the bridge could be that expensive.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 9:43 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Boy did I ever waste my money.

I still don't understand/believe how the bridge could be that expensive.
You probably know it but the bridge is 3.5 kilometers long! (and have to cross the seaway)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:44 PM

This sounds very exciting! I knew Quebec couldn't allow BC to be the only province building new mega bridges in Canada

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 11:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
This sounds very exciting! I knew Quebec couldn't allow BC to be the only province building new mega bridges in Canada
We are actually more concerned with not having the bridges fall down than with one-upping BC, to be quite honest!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 12:49 AM

This is Pont Laviolette in Trois Rivieres, QC:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada