HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:09 PM

Isn't the arcade on George St by Hess Village in the downtown too?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:58 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Isn't the arcade on George St by Hess Village in the downtown too?
It's really more of a bar with a few machines sprinkled about for 80's/90's nostalgia.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 10:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Doesn't look like anything has changed - they must be doing all the interior work first.

Or backend work.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:34 PM

Article in today's Spec.Com by Paul Wilson

Quote:
Core Urban bought 14 James North, as well as No. 10 beside it. An alley separated the two buildings, and there's now an elevator shaft right up the middle of it. At No. 10, two floors of glass have been added, bringing that building to five storeys too. The views are spectacular, and every floor has been leased. Occupancy, late summer.
Quote:
At No. 14 next door, hugely successful Locke Street eatery Earth to Table Bread Bar is opening a second location in the street-level space, as well as the level below, home for many years to the Sirloin Cellar.
Quote:
If we walk around the corner to No. 11 King Street East, we are standing in front of what used to be Herbert S. Mills China. The ghost sign advertising Mills, which goes back to the 1920s, is still visible on the brick wall.

And it turns out that five-storey No. 11 King, part of the long-ago Mills retailing empire, is attached to the rear of five-storey No. 14 James.

That connection was sealed long ago. Mills China closed in 1985. In recent years, it had been home to an urban-style clothing store. The upper floors were empty, just bare shelving that once held the finest china, to be shipped across the continent.

The clothing store owners were looking to sell. A deal was done with Core Urban. And the common wall at the rear of both No. 11 King and No. 14 James came tumbling down.

That creates four L-shaped office spaces, each 4,700 square feet. At one end, they have windows that look out on James. At the other end, the view is Gore Park. The old brick is still there, and original wood floors.
The whole article with pictures.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...lonely-stairs/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:08 PM

Nice. I didn't konw they were joining the two buildings again.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:32 PM

It's too bad that 13 and 15 King St E weren't part of the project.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:50 PM

How about 1-9 King West! Lucky dog they are that everything around them is done .

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:55 PM
Hamilton Historian

Would they consider restoring the ripped off facade at 13-15 king st e I believe the address is? The exposed third of it was restored so beautifully..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:12 AM

3/28/2018 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:17 AM

So many changes downtown that I can still hardly believe. Take yourself back 10+ years and imagine someone telling you about all these things - not a chance in Hell, you'd think.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
So many changes downtown that I can still hardly believe. Take yourself back 10+ years and imagine someone telling you about all these things - not a chance in Hell, you'd think.
Totally agree...super cool to see.
Sadly, it works on the negative side too. 10 years ago if someone told you a well-known TO building would propose 600 condo units, retail space and over $300 million investment in the core, nobody would have believed you.
But had you told them that city hall would reject the proposal....you really would have been laughed out of the room.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:05 AM

^The last part of your statement I would have believed - 100%.

The incompetence of this City and its ability to be manipulated by interest groups never ceases to amaze and disappoint.

The vast majority of this would go away if there were term limits for City Councillors...not to mention IQ tests. Is there a reason why City Councillors don't have to take some sort of standardised test? Staff might have to - not sure about that one.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^The last part of your statement I would have believed - 100%.

The incompetence of this City and its ability to be manipulated by interest groups never ceases to amaze and disappoint.

The vast majority of this would go away if there were term limits for City Councillors...not to mention IQ tests. Is there a reason why City Councillors don't have to take some sort of standardised test? Staff might have to - not sure about that one.
I certainly agree with term limits, but I wonder if in the case of Television City it is more planning staff that is leading and council is just following along. I'm a little surprised that councillors from outside ward 2 aren't in favour. For taxpayers outside ward 2 it is a great project. Lots of tax revenue, with relatively little demand on new road spending (given the low amount of parking spaces) and other similar expenditures compared to new single family sprawl. Plus if you don't live in ward 2, the supposed negative aspects like tower separation isn't going to affect you. I suppose that councillors stick together so they can squish whatever projects come up in their own hoods due to NIMBYism.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Any progress pics on this project? It's been a month..

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:01 PM

Here you go Chronamut. Taken May 3, 2018.

There appears to have been very little progress. However, it/Lister/WillThom will look beautiful together.

Last edited by yomsen; May 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:36 PM

video on youtube

https://youtu.be/H1NMtXXc_VM

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:40 AM

These pics just blow me away .... To see this area looking like this after all the years of decay is heartwarming .... Now the lonely parking lot on the corner of king William and James is begging to be developed

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:40 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
These pics just blow me away .... To see this area looking like this after all the years of decay is heartwarming .... Now the lonely parking lot on the corner of king William and James is begging to be developed
The only nice thing about the parking lot is it gives a nice view of the lister block. If anything is developed on that corner it should probably replicate the height of the building that was originally there to not compromise the lister.

Also glad they finally took that giant bit of particle board off the building being developed.. not sure why it was there originally..

And yeah I went by there last week.. not much changed in outer development.. seeing those massive beams cut halfway through the height of the windows inside still gets to me though..

Also the building beside it really needs a proper clean and a cornice re-added to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton