HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What the hell is going on in Glendale!?

From the FAA...

2008-AWP-4442-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4443-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4440-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4441-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4446-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft

2008-AWP-4447-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4444-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4445-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft
My guess would be, this is part of the Glendale Main Street City Center development by the Rightpath Group. It runs from the new spring training stadium north to Maryland Rd, BH Rd. to the south and east to the 101.

Their plans included several 10 to 12 story buildings near or adjacent to the 101 just east of the airport.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkpbr View Post
My guess would be, this is part of the Glendale Main Street City Center development by the Rightpath Group. It runs from the new spring training stadium north to Maryland Rd, BH Rd. to the south and east to the 101.

Their plans included several 10 to 12 story buildings near or adjacent to the 101 just east of the airport.
But these building heights are more in the 20 - 40 story range, depending on their uses. I thought the Bidwell's plan included a single 40-ish story building and various shorter ones, but not four 40-story towers. Maybe this is to allow for flexibilty in where they can place structures of differing height???

Last edited by JimInCal; Jul 23, 2008 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal View Post
But these building heights are more in the 20 - 40 story range, depending on their uses. I thought the Bidwell's plan included a single 40-ish story building and various shorter ones, but not four 40-story towers. Maybe this is to allow for flexibilty in where they can place structures of differing height???
I had thought of that project as well, but I thought they were waiting until 2010 to even do anything. If I remember correctly, the approval they got from Glendale was on a 36 story tower surrounded by mid rises... so either you're correct and they want some flexibility or they've decided to become extremely dense.

I also heard the new Apple Store is going into Arrowhead, so I wonder what that means for the Zanjero development as a few of the store they've listed have ended up at Peoria's Park Place and now Arrowhead.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:17 PM

The Apple Store at Arrowhead is tiny - easily half of what the Biltmore's is. If they go into Zanjero, I'd expect it to be more of a 'flagship' store like the Biltmore. Then again, Zanjero is moving along VERY slowly...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingthe305 View Post
I just wanted to point out, in case anyone isn't clear, that the Northern Parkway will go from Loop 303 to Grand Ave. This only really helps west Glendale, and the very far reaches of what will be Glendale once they annex out past the base.
If you dig up the Peoria City Council notes from either May or June, they have details on the plan for Peoria's section of this parkway. I thought the idea was the first phase was 303 to Grand, with a 2nd phase proposed all the way to the 51.

Also, Happy Valley Rd is designated a parkway as well - that could run across the whole north valley, but is currently planned for Loop 303 to I-17 initially. Peoria has begun construction on the 'missing section' between Terramar Blvd (75th Ave) and 91st Ave.

You should look up the proposal we all get to vote on this fall - tons of new freeways/parkways/commuter rail - statewide. Commuter rail corridor designated from Nogales, through Tuscon, Phoenix and on to Prescott.

http://www.dot.state.az.us/Statewide...tegy/Index.asp

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
The Apple Store at Arrowhead is tiny - easily half of what the Biltmore's is. If they go into Zanjero, I'd expect it to be more of a 'flagship' store like the Biltmore. Then again, Zanjero is moving along VERY slowly...
It isn't done yet? They were building that when I lived on the westside 2 or 3 years ago.

and on that subject, I had my first experience at Westgate last weekend. Went to hell's half acre and also margarita ville. holy crap there were a ton of low lifes everywhere. Some guy bumped into me, we both spilled our beers, and I apologized.... thinking it was over... he went and got three of his "homies" and tried to start shit with us. I was there for my friends birthday in a group of 14 ppl and didn't really want to ruin his bday so we left. They followed us all the way from Hell's Half Acre to our car on the east side of the Arena.... cops finally took them away as they were shouting yo holmes you got a problem ese and all sorts of cholo shit. Mark my words, I will NEVER go back to Westgate. Probably for the better since the place was mostly idiots anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:53 PM

John, sorry to hear your first experience at Westgate was a bad one. I go to Hells quite often, was just there Thursday night in fact, and have never had a problem.

Zanjero is pretty much built out. The 100,000 sq. ft. class A office building should be complete in about a month. The districts at Zanjero, however, is another story. I remember the developers' goal was to have the first phase up and running in time for the superbowl. As of right now no dirt has turned on that section of the development. I think it will be years before we see any construction on the districts. The website was taken down too. I don't know if thats a bad sign. The project is still listed on the Grubb & Ellis website.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
It isn't done yet? They were building that when I lived on the westside 2 or 3 years ago.

and on that subject, I had my first experience at Westgate last weekend. Went to hell's half acre and also margarita ville. holy crap there were a ton of low lifes everywhere. Some guy bumped into me, we both spilled our beers, and I apologized.... thinking it was over... he went and got three of his "homies" and tried to start shit with us. I was there for my friends birthday in a group of 14 ppl and didn't really want to ruin his bday so we left. They followed us all the way from Hell's Half Acre to our car on the east side of the Arena.... cops finally took them away as they were shouting yo holmes you got a problem ese and all sorts of cholo shit. Mark my words, I will NEVER go back to Westgate. Probably for the better since the place was mostly idiots anyway.

Sorry bout that john...I must say as a Mexican American (and Puerto Rican) that it is truly embarassing that pendejos like these can act a certain way and make it like it's cool to start Shyt with anyone they like. Frustrates me that they act like that and then get pleasure out of starting beef with people. Anyways, I like Westgate and i've had good times going there. Again to John...sorry bro. Mi Gente aren't always this f*cked up and unruly.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
Sorry bout that john...I must say as a Mexican American (and Puerto Rican) that it is truly embarassing that pendejos like these can act a certain way and make it like it's cool to start Shyt with anyone they like. Frustrates me that they act like that and then get pleasure out of starting beef with people. Anyways, I like Westgate and i've had good times going there. Again to John...sorry bro. Mi Gente aren't always this f*cked up and unruly.

Why are you apologizing? That is somewhat like expecting Muslim Americans to apologize over 9/11.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 9:25 PM

cbd101 to break ground this year

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...bd0804-ON.html

cbd 101 in Glendale is to break ground this year with infrastructure and phase 1. Link has some interesting details to the project.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:51 PM

The keywords from that are the infrastructure could start this year and opening for phase I is expected in fall of 2010. My guess is phase I starts sometime in 2009.

I just hope the Bidwill's are better at this than they are at operating a football team.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:54 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Some West Valley news:

Quote:
USA Basketball to boost Valley economy
Training hub to draw streams of visitors
by Carrie Watters - Nov. 18, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Hundreds of up-and-coming hoops players will trek to Glendale each year as USA Basketball confirmed Monday it will move its headquarters and training operations to the Valley, bringing an annual economic boost pegged at $63.4 million.

USA Basketball is the governing body of international basketball in the United States, fielding national teams for international competitions, the pinnacle being the men's and women's Olympic teams.

In a rough economy, news is enough that Gov. Janet Napolitano is expected to attend today's official announcement, which should follow the Glendale City Council's vote on the deal.

Hundreds of construction jobs will be created to build the $53.8 million training campus along Loop 101 off Maryland Avenue. Once completed, as early as 2010, the campus will feature a training center, offices, a hotel, a Midwestern University sports medicine clinic and a fitness center. In all it should create 324 direct jobs, and nearly double that when including peripheral jobs, such as those in tourism.

The campus is expected to add $26.5 million to Glendale's tax coffers over the next 25 years. But its larger value is part of a winning puzzle the city has pieced together, said Valley economist Elliott Pollack, who completed an economic-impact study on the deal.

"They just create a lot of synergies that do not exist anywhere else, with the possible exception of downtown (Phoenix)," Pollack said. "It's fairly amazing - it's working even in what is a terrible economic environment."

Within about a two-mile radius in the past five years, Glendale has added professional hockey, professional football, Major League Baseball and now amateur basketball. It has hosted a college football championship and Super Bowl XLII.

That intense focus on "an impressive and growing roster of sports properties" held sway over Val Ackerman, USA Basketball's past board chairwoman, who led the scouting expedition from the group's 29-year home in Colorado Springs.

City Manager Ed Beasley, who has navigated Glendale's rise, said other sports governing bodies have made inquiries - and he isn't closing that door - but the city's goal is to create a destination that attracts quality development. USA Basketball's Olympic dream teams, made up of NBA and WNBA stars, offers that buzz.

City leaders advocate for those senior teams to train here, although the agreement acknowledges that could depend on logistics. The deal requires only some Olympian presence, which could mean an exhibition match at nearby Jobing.com Arena or players working with area youth.

USA Basketball stretches beyond the Olympics, fielding national teams for players as young as 15. The training center is where athletes will prepare for such competitions as the new youth Olympics and the Pan American Games.

Keeping with the push for development that takes Glendale beyond a bedroom community, Beasley called USA Basketball a commanding anchor tenant for Main Street Glendale.

The private development project is anticipated to cover 500 acres that winds from University of Phoenix Stadium on the opposite side of the loop down to Glendale's spring training ballpark on Camelback Road, a second major anchor for Main Street.

The city is putting in roads and infrastructure around its spring training baseball stadium, which will benefit the private development.

In contrast, city incentives for the basketball deal are minimal - rebating hotel taxes for athletes.

Scottsdale-based Rightpath Development Group, the developers behind Main Street, will bear numerous expenses, down to $150,000 to relocate USA Basketball from Colorado.

Rightpath will build, operate and maintain the training center. USA Basketball will have a 30-year-lease without rent and two 10-year renewal options.

The governing body will keep receipts from ticket and other sales at its events.

Rightpath will also build, at a minimum, a three-star, 150-room hotel, and give 2,500 room nights to USA Basketball for athletes training at the center, as well as provide meals, free of cost.

Rick Burton, a principal with Rightpath, had no complaints. He said USA Basketball is an asset that will help lure other high-end tenants.

USA Basketball does most of its training from May to September, but that could expand now that it will have its own training center. The organization and others involved in the deal said they want to try to increase training opportunities not only for elite athletes but for local teams.

"This shows all the possibilities," Beasley said. "If you can practice where a LeBron James has practiced, you can see how he conducts himself, and how you conduct yourself . . . it doesn't mean you are going to be a professional ball player, but you are going to be exposed to it."
Its interesting that the Valley was able to land this even though they do most of their training the summer, Colorado Springs seems like a better place to be in June. But it sounds like this area of Glendale certainly has some potential, I hope that future projects will be more urban and rely less on surface lots than Westgate, but I doubt it.

I also hope eventually a LRT leg runs East-West on Glendale Ave connecting downtown/old town Glendale to these new developments and over to the Glendale Municipal Airport.

Quote:
Goodyear breaks ground on Reds' training facility
City hopes to turn farmland into entertainment hub
by Elias C. Arnold - Nov. 18, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Goodyear is striving to evolve from a sleepy suburb into an entertainment and employment hub in the Southwest Valley even as it wrestles with multiple financial troubles.

On Monday, in a dusty field south of Interstate 10 along Estrella Parkway, the city continued its transformation with a sunny groundbreaking for the $33 million spring-training home of the Cincinnati Reds. It's the second professional baseball team building a training base in Goodyear, joining the Cleveland Indians for the 2010 season.

Margaret Carl, whose family sold land to the city for the project, called the milestone "bittersweet." It marks the end of the era in which her parents worked and lived off the land, growing cotton and grain.

"This was their field of dreams," Carl, one of three Wood siblings, told a crowd of about 300.

Now it is the city's field of dreams, a venue intended to spur retail and office development around Estrella Parkway and Yuma Road, the city's planned downtown area.

Reds CEO Bob Castellini told the crowd how impressed he was by the city's interest in attracting the team, which trains in Sarasota, Fla.

"Nobody cares about being treated like a big shot, but everybody wants to feel like they're wanted," Castellini said. "And we truly feel like we're wanted out here."

Baseball is a key part of the Goodyear's future downtown. Two universities plan to build campuses there and the area could eventually provide nearly 50,000 jobs. Cancer Treatment Centers of America, a destination hospital, is also slated to open along Interstate 10 in the next couple of months.

But the economic picture is sharply different from what it was 14 months ago, when Goodyear broke ground on the Indians' spring-training quarters.

Retail chains are closing their stores in the city's new commercial centers.

Phoenix developer Westcor has delayed construction on the area's first regional mall.

A developer, Scottsdale-based Montage Holdings, which partnered with the city to annex the future freeway corridor, is facing foreclosure, leaving Goodyear on the hook for nearly $3.6 million.

Meanwhile, infighting between former partners in the city's stadium development has stalled retail, hotel and office development envisioned around the complex. Goodyear also is considering spending nearly $3 million to finish part of its stadium originally planned for private retail space.

City leaders say Goodyear's future remains bright because long-term gains will outweigh the short-term challenges.

Mayor Jim Cavanaugh played a key role in drawing spring-training baseball and private universities to the city. He acknowledges Goodyear's budgetary woes are "significant" but is confident the city will turn a corner.

"The city is on a good track," he said. "I'd like to argue with anybody who disagrees with me, frankly."

Cities around the Valley are readjusting their budgets in response to the declining economy and the nation's credit crunch, which has hurt development and job growth. In Goodyear, the city has asked its department heads to review their budgets in anticipation of cuts of up to 10 percent.

"Other than Montage, which is a big question mark, the city (sales-tax revenues are) tracking on schedule because we budgeted so conservatively," City Manager John Fischbach said.

The main variable is how closures of big-box retailers such as Circuit City, Linens-N-Things and Mervyn's, some of them brand-new, will impact tax revenues.

"Quite frankly, I think that the future of Goodyear is extremely rosy," Fischbach said. "Yes, there will be some tough times, but I don't foresee anything major in the picture."

The Reds' clubhouse is part of a $108 million spring-training complex with a 10,000-seat stadium and practice space for two teams. Goodyear and the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority are funding the project.

The Indians started training at the complex this fall. Their first game is in February.

Jennifer Cahall, 57, was in from Ohio visiting her brother and attended Monday's groundbreaking on a whim. She said she once held Reds' season tickets for nearly a decade.

Her family had talked for years about going to spring training in Florida, she said, but the trip to Arizona makes it more likely because it is so close to relatives.

Cahall said her husband already told her to look at local hotels.
Quote:
Buckeye pledges $100K in grants to revitalize core
by Eric Graf - Nov. 18, 2008 08:44 AM
The Arizona Republic
Buckeye's Core Area Revitalization Effort is taking a step forward in the effort to invigorate downtown.

The town has pledged $100,000 in grants as part of the program to be disbursed by the Buckeye Main Street Coalition, a private non-profit organization working with the town's Economic Development Department. Now, all the applications are in and the coalition is examining the requests from downtown businesses looking for a boost.

The money could be divvied up among several large projects, numerous small projects or anything in between. Each project is capped at $25,000 and matching funds must be provided by the business for a project over $10,000. The funds primarily came from a sales tax.

Typical improvements include painting, cleaning, façade repair, paving and permanent landscaping. All renovations must be consistent with the architectural design and external integrity of the building.

"The cost of permits and construction can really be an obstacle, especially in this economic climate," said Jay Broadbent, president of the Main Street Coalition. "It's a good shot in the arm for downtown. Things are happening and it's a good environment, but it takes a long time."

Broadbent is looking to have the grants finalized early next year. But choosing the projects may take some time, as some businesses will likely have to hone their requests, find the money to provide matching funds for bigger projects and work on construction quotes, he said.

The coalition will look at projects that satisfy design requirements and have potential to add jobs, said John Woods, the group's new executive director.

"These changes don't happen immediately," Woods said. "But these grants can get momentum going to where people are investing in their properties and improving downtown."

The town also is building its new town hall facilities on Monroe Avenue, in the middle of the downtown area targeted for revitalization.

Last edited by HooverDam; Nov 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 7:33 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ridor1229.html

Quote:
West Valley Recreation Corridor pushed
Watercourse would benefit West Valley, supporters say
by Megan Gordon - Dec. 29, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
The decade-old dream of a West Valley Recreation Corridor is gaining momentum, but the bleak economic reality could hurt the project's ability to meet key deadlines and get private and public buy-in.

"We need to find that balance between the cost and benefit of the project," said Dan Davis, parks and recreation director for Avondale.

The southwest Valley city supports the proposal and believes the pluses of a recreation corridor would outweigh the initial costs. But Avondale recently eliminated 47 positions as part of a series of cost-cutting measures to help the city get through the recession.

"Ultimately, the economy will turn around, and people will still value that recreation will (add) to the quality of life in the West Valley," Davis said.

Project planners want to control the floodplain of the Agua Fria River and the New River to allow development and recreation on about 5,000 acres. So far, about 25 percent of the landowners along the rivers have committed to the next phase of the project - going to the county with a proposal about canal construction in the riverbed.

"With this downturn in the economy, many companies were concerned about having sufficient money to immediately prepare . . . for the second step," said Rusty Bowers, Arizona Rock Products Association representative, who spoke for the mining companies. "We're able to fund a smaller study upfront, so now many are on board."

The project would mirror what Rio Vista Community Park has done for Peoria.

"For us, the park serves a wide variety of citizens," said Kirk Haines, Peoria parks manager. "The park is actually located on the confluence of two rivers coming together - New River and Skunk Creek."

In the case of the West Valley Recreation Corridor, most of the proposed 42-mile watercourse is owned by sand- and gravel-mining companies, but all bordering cities must be involved. They include Avondale, El Mirage, Surprise, Glendale, Youngtown, Peoria and Phoenix.

"We want to get into that scar and make it into a wonderful recreation amenity for the West Valley," said Norris Nordvold, executive director of Friends of the West Valley Recreation Corridor. "We would like to get a mile section started this coming year. That may be a big hope because of the downturn."

Nordvold said the mining companies would foot the canal bills for the West Valley Recreation Corridor, but the cities would still have to come up with an estimated $3 million to $5 million per mile.

Time is of the essence.

A law passed three years ago sets July 1, 2010, as the deadline for the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to establish a district, which would allow for canal construction. To form the district, 51 percent of the property owners and all cities affected must get behind it.

"I think the cities will see what a benefit we're offering," Bowers said. "I hope that they can take advantage of this opportunity and participate with us on this project."

The late West Valley pioneer John F. Long envisioned the recreation corridor that Nordvold wants to help bring to fruition.

"This can only succeed with the combined help of the sand and gravel industry, local governments and developers," he said. "Our final goal is to connect the entire Valley, from Scottsdale to Tempe to Avondale . . . (to) Lake Pleasant into one large recreation area for the public. "We've only touched the beginning of that goal."

I hope this happens. Now if only Phoenix would get a clue and turn their section of the Salt River into a great central park full of fields, hiking trails, performances spaces, etc..

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 7:02 AM

It's going to be a trip to see high rises on Glendale some day. The stadium is already visible from pretty far, I can't imagine what 400+ ft buildings would look like.

Quote:
FAA alarmed by height of proposed buildings

by Carrie Watters - Dec. 30, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

As plans are put in place for growth at Glendale Municipal Airport, other developments less than 2 miles away could pose problems for the city-owned airport.

City Council members got a look last week at a master plan for improvements to meet expected growth at the airport. Meanwhile, they've also been reviewing private developers' plans, which include buildings soaring high over the sports and entertainment district along Loop 101.

The council envisions this corridor as a high-density employment center.

But the Federal Aviation Administration has raised red flags about two mixed-use projects, Centrada and Bella Villagio, that submitted early proposals.

"The projects, if built to the heights that the developer is proposing, would have serious negative effects on Glendale Municipal Airport," FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.

The FAA has no authority to stop developments from proceeding, but its analysis sounded the alarm to a national pilots group that reminded city officials that 95 percent of its airport- improvement dollars flow from the federal agency.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association requested that the city table approval of Bella Villagio.

The council approved Centrada. Bella Villagio was approved by the city Planning Commission this month and should go to the full council in the new year.

Despite moving the projects ahead, a stipulation states that before building permits will be issued, the city manager and airport administrator will have final say on heights, based on FAA determinations submitted to the city.

City planning Director Jon Froke said the towers included in the projects are just early visions and that it could be more than a decade before developers request building permits. A lot can change in a decade, and in that time, the developers would have to provide greater detail to the FAA, he said.

Nick Wood, an attorney representing both projects, said the developers filed an application with the FAA this past summer as part of early explorations.

In those applications, Bella Villagio envisioned building as high as 492 feet, which would surpass the 483-foot Chase Tower that soars 40 stories above downtown Phoenix.

Centrada, east of Loop 101, called for buildings as high as 335 feet.

The FAA returned both applications with the same wording: "would pose a hazard to air navigation."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:40 PM

First, I seriously doubt anything approaching those heights will ever get built in the area within our lifetimes. However to me its more speculation on the developers part and simply more land banking in order to raise perceived values. I wonder what happened to the Bella Villagio development at one point I believe they had a website up complete with renderings and the tallest building was a hotel which was something like 20 stories. Now their talking about 400+ foot towers? I mean if they couldn’t get the smaller development off the ground what’s the chance of the new version ever materializing? Either way Glendale gave up its right to complain about building heights when it approved the Cardinals stadium. The stadium itself is taller than many of the buildings we have in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 7:00 PM

I dunno - I think these developers are lining up approvals and cutting through red tape so that they can move and be ready when the market recovers (hopefully in a year). I think the Bidwills and Pendergast families are serious about getting these projects off the ground, simply for the money involved. Plus, with USA Basketball already lined up to locate their HQ in the area, something needs to be built for that. The area can use more hotels due to the stadium hosting the various Bowls (and word that after 2010 the NFL Pro Bowl will rotate between cities adds another potential bowl to be had). And I'm sure Glendale would rather people have all the next bowl parties in and around the stadium, rather than across town in Scottsdale/Tempe.

As for the airport - I see it remaining small like Scottsdale Airpark. Goodyear airport should be the one grown for the west side. (or Luke AFB, should it ever close)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:58 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...no0131-ON.html

Quote:
Tribe's pitch for casino-resort catches Glendale by surprise
8 comments by Carrie Watters - Jan. 31, 2009 08:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
Sports, entertainment and now the state's largest casino?

Glendale officials said they were surprised this week to learn that an Indian tribe aspires to build a "Las Vegas-style" resort and casino near the city's sports and entertainment district.

Shock seems logical, considering the city doesn't contain a reservation.

The Tohono O'odham Nation hopes to rectify that, filing an application this week with the federal Bureau of Indian Affairs to transform a 135-acre county island at 91st and Northern avenues into a federal land-in-trust, which would pave the way for a casino.

Early reactions from Glendale residents were mixed.

The development touts some financial positives, including an estimated 6,200 construction jobs to build the $607 million facility. Once operating, as early as 2012, the 600-room resort and casino would employ about 3,000 people.

A study completed for the tribe projects a $320 million annual boost to the state's economy.

Peoria Mayor Bob Barrett, whose city lies on the north side of Northern Avenue, called the project an economic boon.

"This is a very large-scale entertainment tourism draw that will operate 24/7," he said.

Glendale officials were cautious.

City Manager Ed Beasley on Thursday said his staff was reviewing information received that morning. He said "certain impacts and concerns were already identified," although he declined to elaborate.

Mayor Elaine Scruggs said she met with tribal leaders at their request Wednesday with "no idea what I was going to be told."

Now, she and others will have to bone up on the intricacies of working with a sovereign nation.

The tribe, which purchased the land in 2003, just filed its application with the federal government. A decision there could take more than a year. If successful, Scruggs said, the city would work with the tribe to make the most of the 1.2 million visitors the resort and casino expects each year.

"If the Tohono O'odham Nation has the legal right to do this and the federal government approves the land, we must work with them to partner in the best way possible and benefit each other," Scruggs said.

Some questioned how the tribe could purchase land and have it designated as tribal territory. The answer dates to the 1970s, when the federal government built the Painted Rock Dam on the Gila River to protect non-Indian farmers. The dam caused flooding in the Tohono O'odham's Gila River community, rendering 9,880 acres of unusable.

A federal law in 1986 allowed the tribe to purchase replacement land in unincorporated areas and apply to have it designated as a reservation.

Ned Norris Jr., chairman of the Tohono O'odham Nation, said the reasons to buy in the Glendale area are obvious with the growth of its sports venues, hotels and amenities.

"Anyone that sees the magnificent job that Glendale has done, sees this as a prime opportunity to add to that entertainment district," he said.

Some aren't convinced.

Carole Marx is concerned by potential traffic and crime problems at her nearby 800-home Rovey Farms subdivision.

"It's way too close to residential," she said.

Councilwoman Joyce Clark worried gambling would be a drain on residents' wallets.

"At least thus far, they've been far enough away that people had to be deliberative and make a trek," she said, referring to the Northwest Valley's nearest casinos being about a 45-minute drive.

But resident Van DiCarlo viewed a casino as a way to draw visitors that would support Westgate City Center and its bars, restaurants and hotels.

Another resident welcomed jobs. "People need jobs right now, so if they have a way to bring jobs into the city and get the economy back where it needs to be then I am all for it," Donna Duggins said.
I found this article interesting, I was unaware this tribe owned that slice of land. I hope this project goes through, the Valley could sure use the construction jobs and it would give the Northwest side another nice attraction.

The NIMBYs on AzCentral of course are opposed because it'll bring 'too much traffic', and its too close to a high school. As if the retired folks who go to Indian casinos to play slots and watch "Showstoppers Live" are going to wander over to the high school and try shove their dicks threw the fence, I wish these buffoons would get clue.

EDIT: Forgot to post the more info sidebar:
Quote:
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Proposed resort and casino
Here's a glimpse of what is proposed at the southwest corner of Northern Avenue between 91st and 95th avenues:

• 150,000 square feet of gaming with 1,089 slot machines, 50 table games, 25 poker tables and a 1,000-seat bingo hall.

• Full-service spa and 600-room hotel.

• Five restaurants, food court, buffet and coffee shop.

• Two bars and a nightclub.

• 40,000-square-foot convention center.

• 30,000 square feet of retail.

About Tohono O'odham

• Arizona's second-largest Indian nation, with 28,000 enrolled members.

• 14,000 residents live on the 2.8 million-acre reservation that has 75 miles along the U.S-Mexico border. Other portions are in Pima, Pinal and Maricopa counties.
Now if only the Valley was smart enough to run LRT up 91st Ave instead of the 101. It could connect from the South at Thomas, up through the west side past multiple high schools that would use the line, UofP, Jobing.com, Westgate, Zanjero, then the casino/hotel complex. Then it could turn East on either Peoria or Olive over to 83rd, then continue North through Downtown Peoria, up to the Peoria Sports Complex and Arrowhead area. Plus with all the yet to be developed land out that way, it could all be zoned for TOD and become something pretty kickass.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jan 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 6:49 PM
BANNED

I'm confused by your response that you didn't know they owned the land, when it clearly says they do NOT own it, but want to transform a county island to in trust land.

READ!

I think the casino will be a profit for the injuns, and will not truly benefit the city or surrounding areas. The city doesn't gain tax revenue from something on state land.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I'm confused by your response that you didn't know they owned the land, when it clearly says they do NOT own it, but want to transform a county island to in trust land.

READ!

I think the casino will be a profit for the injuns, and will not truly benefit the city or surrounding areas. The city doesn't gain tax revenue from something on state land.
Quote:
The tribe, which purchased the land in 2003
The tribe already owns the land, they'd just have to get a special designation to put a casino there.

How on Earth would not be a benefit for the surrounding areas? You think people flying in for conventions there doesn't help the area? You think people staying there won't also shop at Westgate, Zanjero and other West Valley establishments? I think you're being a bit myopic if you think this won't be an economic boon for the west side.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jan 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post

READ!

Actually, they do own the land...

"The tribe, which purchased the land in 2003, just filed its application with the federal government. A decision there could take more than a year. If successful, Scruggs said, the city would work with the tribe to make the most of the 1.2 million visitors the resort and casino expects each year."

So, please READ before yelling at other people for not reading.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest