HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:27 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

WOW! What a beautiful place. It looks like a small mountain town but instead it is a neighborhood of a metropolis, Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
^ Awesome. You can almost feel the dryness through the photos.

Nice sunny day here, albeit a little gusty.

A few shots from Unionville.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:31 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

The word "Restaurant" is written on the box but in Italian, "Ristorante". It also says "Pizza Vegetale" and "Pizza Spinaci", that is "Vegetable Pizza" and "Spinach Pizza". But the brand of the product ("Dr.Oetker") doesn't seem Italian to me. Maybe it's just an advertising reference to Italian cuisine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The sun is coming out and Sobeys had one of my fave pizzas on special for $3.75. It’s a great Sunday!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
The word "Restaurant" is written on the box but in Italian, "Ristorante". But the brand of the product doesn't seem Italian to me. Maybe it's just an advertising reference to Italian cuisine
Oh it's not Italian. It's barely pizza.

We only have one pizzeria here that's truly authentic - Piatto (they've opened a few other locations elsewhere in Canada since). They're certified by whatever-it-is in Naples, so you can get a proper margherita and a few other things. Of course, most of their pizzas are fully North American in toppings.

These Ristorante ones have the second-best veggie options for store-bought frozen (only Good Baker is better, as it has a whole wheat crust and more veggies). So I got veggie mix, spinach, and mozzarella. I think only the mozzarella one is trying to replicate anything truly Italian - it even has pesto.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
WOW! What a beautiful place. It looks like a small mountain town but instead it is a neighborhood of a metropolis, Toronto
Yep. It got swallowed up by surrounding chaos. It's basically now a neighborhood within a city (Markham) within a city (Toronto).

Anyway, back in Cobourg it's feeling and looking like Halloween. We had some light showers this morning.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:22 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Oh it's not Italian. It's barely pizza.

We only have one pizzeria here that's truly authentic - Piatto (they've opened a few other locations elsewhere in Canada since). They're certified by whatever-it-is in Naples, so you can get a proper margherita and a few other things. Of course, most of their pizzas are fully North American in toppings.

These Ristorante ones have the second-best veggie options for store-bought frozen (only Good Baker is better, as it has a whole wheat crust and more veggies). So I got veggie mix, spinach, and mozzarella. I think only the mozzarella one is trying to replicate anything truly Italian - it even has pesto.
In Italy there is frequent debate on the fact that abroad there are many restaurants that claim to be Italian and culinary products indicated as Italian but which in reality are not. I wonder if the "Piatto" restaurant in St. John's churns out truly Italian pizzas. But if the condiments are not Italian then, perhaps, some doubts are legitimate.

But it is also possible that your pizzas, even if they are not truly Italian pizzas, are better than Italian ones.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:24 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Your wonderful, bright autumn colors are one of the reasons for my love for Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Yep. It got swallowed up by surrounding chaos. It's basically now a neighborhood within a city (Markham) within a city (Toronto).

Anyway, back in Cobourg it's feeling and looking like Halloween. We had some light showers this morning.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
In Italy there is frequent debate on the fact that abroad there are many restaurants that claim to be Italian and culinary products indicated as Italian but which in reality are not. I wonder if the "Piatto" restaurant in St. John's churns out truly Italian pizzas. But if the condiments are not Italian then, perhaps, some doubts are legitimate.

But it is also possible that your pizzas, even if they are not truly Italian pizzas, are better than Italian ones.
Yeah, it's a fascinating debate.

If you went to Piatto and got the margherita, I'm confident you'd accept it's Italian cuisine made correctly. It might not be your favourite or anything, but you'd approve of it. There are a couple of other proper pizzas - but most have non-traditional toppings. There's the Stephanie that has caramelized pears, there's a Greek one, a Vegan one, lots of ones with white creamy sauce instead of tomato, etc.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 4:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hey Signal, you should check out this video:

Video Link

These two are a couple of van lifers from Texas who do video logs about their travels. I follow them. They are actually very talented.

The've been all over Atlantic Canada this summer, including a full month in Newfoundland. This video is about their adventures in St. John's. I think you would appreciate it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 5:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Super cute, Moncton, TY! Also at her shirt blowing up. During Hurricane Leslie, I went to the top of Signal Hill to check it out, lost my glasses (blew off my head and were GONE instantly), etc. But that evening my phone blew up with "Saw you on the news running around Signal Hill with your shirt over your head"). I was mortified lol

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 6:14 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Yeah, it's a fascinating debate.

If you went to Piatto and got the margherita, I'm confident you'd accept it's Italian cuisine made correctly. It might not be your favourite or anything, but you'd approve of it. There are a couple of other proper pizzas - but most have non-traditional toppings. There's the Stephanie that has caramelized pears, there's a Greek one, a Vegan one, lots of ones with white creamy sauce instead of tomato, etc.
There are two Piatto pizzerias in St John's
https://www.google.it/maps/search/Ne...!1e3?entry=ttu

Looking at the photos I noticed a difference with the Italian pizzas, those from Piatto seem much smaller but they look delicious

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:49 PM

Great photos Townguy, love the quaint streets and buildings.

Reached a high of 6c and sunshine here today, cant complain too much.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:24 AM

First shot of snow for many parts of Newfoundland tomorrow as a low pressure passes through. Eastern NL should be safe, however I would not be surprised if we did end up seeing some wet flurries at some point. Accumulation should be zero except for inland and at higher elevations for the St. John's region.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:58 AM
recession proof

I know an Italian Canadian girl who eats those Dr Oetker pizzas, typically loading them with more cheese, veggies, meat etc so they become a huge meal. I stay away from frozen pizza because it's unhealthy, triggering reflux, high in cholesterol and sodium. And the family were Nazis. Now, they're all made in a large factory in London Ontario, notorious for using TFW. $3.49 on sale at No Frills this week. I used to buy them on sale for $1.88 five years ago.

(A week ago I tried a gluten-free Margherita Pizza Oggi, which made me very sleepy and fatigued.)

It might snow in KW tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

6C and overcast. Harsh reminder that November is a few days away.

Low of 4C this morning.

The warmspot was Sable Island, NS at 14.4C. That was still in the early morning hours before the cold went through.

Warmest low was Sable Island, NS at 9.1C.

Down to -20C in the Prairies the last couple of days and even -12, -13C in Regina, Winnipeg. It happens every single year and every single time, I am amazed and how people subject themselves to those crazy temperatures.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:15 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I am amazed and how people subject themselves to those crazy temperatures.
My god man, why do you live in Canada? Do you own a coat?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My god man, why do you live in Canada? Do you own a coat?
I have relatives (on my wife's side) who live in the GTA who basically just have running shoes etc and then they come to Ottawa at Christmas or in the depths of winter and are amazed that there is snow on the ground and the need for winter tires. In theory they are more Canadian than me by DNA but seem to just go from their 905 McMansion to the car and back and rarely venture off piste in the winter.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It’s a golden morning. Freezing, though - not literally, but close enough. 3C at my place.

Not my house, but almost.

I’m on the bus to work so couldn’t check it out. Hopefully out quick and no one hurt.

That house has a sweet older man living in it; I assume alone as I’ve never seen anyone else there. His car isn’t there so hopefully he wasn’t home.

EDIT: Via VOCM. Every house I’ve ever lived in has been in a news photo.

CBC doesn’t typically cover this sort of thing here, so it must be one of the largest in a while.

It’s spread to the council housing unit on the corner, which was only just repaired following a previous fire at that building. Poor residents.

Edit: It was a three-alarm fire and is officially contained. One building destroyed, one multi-unit building damaged. They’ll be stamping it out through the afternoon but reasonable risk to other properties has passed.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 30, 2023 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
6C and overcast. Harsh reminder that November is a few days away.

Low of 4C this morning.

The warmspot was Sable Island, NS at 14.4C. That was still in the early morning hours before the cold went through.

Warmest low was Sable Island, NS at 9.1C.

Down to -20C in the Prairies the last couple of days and even -12, -13C in Regina, Winnipeg. It happens every single year and every single time, I am amazed and how people subject themselves to those crazy temperatures.
What? Looking at Montreal's temperatures last winter, you reached -28 in February?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:29 PM
Mooderator

Nicko has snow on the ground this morning, McFly. I don't know how he will deal with it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hourly observations indicate a low temperature in Montreal of +0.4C It might require a deep dive of the data to see if the city has fallen.

Regardless, the overnight low is expected to be -2C

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada