HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
That looks awesome. Love the retail configuration, architecture and rooftop club. Looks like big time project. All that demo, renovation and constuction!!

When is The Citizen hoping to open?
Looks like fall 2008 here is the website, should be nice

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/comingsoon_citizen

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:31 AM
Here we stAy

Can someone post the article from the biz journal about the FBI looking for a developer for a new Sacramento area HQ? Saw it but can't get to it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:44 PM
Kodachrome

FBI on prowl for large office complex
By Michael Shaw of The Sacramento Business Journal

Friday, September 28, 2007

Atop the FBI's most wanted list in Greater Sacramento is a new 148,000-square-foot campus to consolidate its operations, though officials consider the hunt for a developer to be a covert operation and aren't releasing many details.

The U.S. General Services Administration, which acts as a real estate broker for government agencies, has collected submissions from developers to build in select areas of Sacramento, Placer or Sutter counties, including property entitled for space along the Interstate 80 corridor.

Developers are drawn to the prospect of a 20-year lease and expect a short list of top candidates will be issued within the next few weeks.

It's the second time this year that the government has put out the call for a build-to-suit property for the FBI. The first request went without a response because the commercial development community found the initial requirements puzzling, several sources said. The demands originally called for a two-year option on property to be provided to the government for free, said Mike Stassi, an office broker with CB Richard Ellis in Sacramento. There aren't many developers who can afford to set aside entitled land for two years without compensation, he said.

The lack of response prompted the administration to put out another request, this time without the option provision.

Tom Schaal, senior director of real estate development for Opus West Corp., said the company submitted its Gateway Corporate Center property in North Natomas for consideration.

The company has entitlements for 350,000 square feet of office space there, more than enough to accommodate the complex, he said.

"We'd be really happy to get that," he said. "I think we're in the running because we've got a nice amenity package with the hotels and recreation here. We don't know what the idiosyncrasies will be with the security requirements."

Schaal added that the size of the complex is similar to other proposals for FBI offices that Opus has competed for around the country.

By comparison, the Sacramento Police Department will occupy 75,000 square feet at its new headquarters on Richards Boulevard.

Another candidate, officials confirmed, is the former McClellan Air Force Base, which has had success attracting industrial tenants.

Other developers were left out of the selection process before it started.

Boundaries for the proposed complex included a vast swath of unentitled land but excluded areas of Rocklin, leaving Fulcrum Property of Sacramento out of the running, president Mark Friedman said. The company spent three years earning entitlements for office space on the land, which sits just outside the borders set by the GSA.

"It's an absolute fit, but they drew the boundaries so that it just misses our property," he said.

Stassi said not including Rocklin in the request represented a lapse in judgment.

"If I'm the city of Rocklin, I'm scratching my head over how this didn't get included," he said.

Likewise, Alleghany Properties LLC has land surrounding Interstate 5 that's entitled for office space, but it doesn't qualify given uncertainty about whether adequate flood protection exists in North Natomas, company president and chief executive David Bugatto said.

The requirements call for design of a main office, an annex and a secured parking garage for 215 vehicles on an estimated seven to 10 acres. The site is expected to have convenient access to freeways but not be adjacent to overpasses, bridges, power grids or railroad tracks.

The project could cost $25 million or more to build, and selecting a developer could take six to nine months, observers say.

General Services Administration spokeswoman Jean Gibson said FBI offices have been consolidating into larger buildings around the country, and the Sacramento-area effort stemmed from that overall policy. Officials offered no details on how much space they currently occupy in the region nor which offices would be consolidated.

"Additional information will come eventually," she said. "But that's all we can release right now."

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:04 PM
Here we stAy

Thanks Mike. I was hoping to see a mention of a possible downtown site, but I'm sure security concerns might not allow it. Will be interesting to see who's on the short list for this big project soon.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:04 PM

Hey why not anchor the new mixed-use development at CalExpo with a FBI office complex. How much better to show the world that the NBA is serious about keeping graft/gambling out of the game (especially in light of the fact that the Kings' owners are Vegas gambling tycoons) than to have the FBI next door?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 8:20 PM
Hindrance to Development

Because there's a big difference between *showing* and *doing*?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Because there's a big difference between *showing* and *doing*?
Yeah sure there is ....I know you are not that naive.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

No, but I am that skeptical.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:43 AM
Away since 06'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Hey why not anchor the new mixed-use development at CalExpo with a FBI office complex. How much better to show the world that the NBA is serious about keeping graft/gambling out of the game (especially in light of the fact that the Kings' owners are Vegas gambling tycoons) than to have the FBI next door?
hahaha, so true.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 3:42 AM

Marshall Hotel

Facelift for downtown's aging Marshall Hotel; local owners propose 'boutique hotel'
By Bob Shallit - Bee Business Columnist

Published 5:15 pm PDT Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Downtown's aging Marshall Hotel on Seventh Street would be reborn as a 150-room boutique hotel, under plans now under city review.

The five-story Marshall, currently a single-room hotel catering to low-income tenants, would be rehabbed to include two additional floors and a connecting 14-story tower at the current site of the Jade Apartments.

The resulting complex near the corner of Seventh and L streets would cater to business travelers and be operated by the Grand Heritage Hotel Group, a Maryland company that also runs the historic Governor Hotel in Portland and 10 other properties nationwide.

A ground-floor restaurant and upscale tavern also are in the plans, which we first encountered in an enterprising blog called "Livinginurbansac"(http://livinginurbansac.blogspot.com/).

"This is a real project, we're moving forward and we think it can make a big impact (downtown)," says Pete Noack, a local real estate broker and part of an investment group that owns the Marshall and the Jade apartments.

The first step is a presentation tonight to the city's preservation board. Then the developers hope to submit plans and seek building permits.

Noack says he expects to collect some financial help from the city, which has expressed interest in upgrading some of downtown's single-room-occupancy hotels, and the rest from private lenders.

"Right now, the capital markets are jittery," he says, but anticipates things will be better in 18 months or so when the partners hit up lenders.

Noack and his partners acquired the Marshall two years ago and immediately began looking at potential new uses for the ramshackle, 94-year-old building.

One concern is what happens to the 75 or so tenants now at the Marshall.

"We're following the (city's) relocation ordinance," he says, which requires that low-income tenants be provided with housing alternatives when displaced.

For the rest of Bob Shallit's column, see Wednesday's Business section.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 2:02 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Nothing official from the Nassi camp on AURA, but as arod74 said.

Urban Outfitters will be taking the empty Virgin store. The sign is kinda cool,
though it will be hard to see the shadow during certain times of the day.
I GOT HIRED AT THAT URBAN OUTFITTERS!!! i am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited, like you dont even know. the manager is a SEXY 30 something white dude who granted me the exciting position. ahhhh, i cannot wait. you guys better come in and visit!! we open mid october.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:15 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
I GOT HIRED AT THAT URBAN OUTFITTERS!!! i am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited, like you dont even know. the manager is a SEXY 30 something white dude who granted me the exciting position. ahhhh, i cannot wait. you guys better come in and visit!! we open mid october.
I'll be there...Even though I can hardly afford the damn store I still love it!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 5:36 AM

you go boy! congrats ...I'll swing by -say hi, maybe buy something ...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 2:41 PM
West bench livin'

That's awesome Serg! I'll have to stop by, especially since you're next door to one of my other favorite stores that I spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much money at.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 3:30 PM

Don't go spending all that excitement in one place serg, with holidays around the corner your gonna need it for later when its about 3am and your folding and putting away all the mess the hordes of rude shoppers make.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 8:29 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Do urbanists like that place because of it's name, or because it carries clothes that urbanists like? I always thought it was just an ambercrombie kinda place aka "big box store" that most of you would loathe.
for the matter, I shop at wal-mart since that's the best I can afford.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 8:46 PM
my posse's on broadway

The first Urban Outfitters stores began in large cities like Philadelphia, NYC,
San Francisco, etc. It wasn't till they became WILDLY successful with catalog /
web sales that they've started opening up big suburban stores. I'm sure they finally
figured out that their customer base was mainly suburban kids anyway. Plus, who
the hell wants to deal with K Street when you can skip the hassle and move
straight to Arden?

...and Ambercrombie is not a big box store. You could probably fit 15 Ambercrombies
inside 1 WalMart.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:07 PM
Hindrance to Development

It's a chain store selling a lifestyle for people who don't consider it worth the effort to make their own. They like it not only for the name but for the opportunity for other people to read the name on their clothing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 9:22 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
The first Urban Outfitters stores began in large cities like Philadelphia, NYC,
San Francisco, etc. It wasn't till they became WILDLY successful with catalog /
web sales that they've started opening up big suburban stores. I'm sure they finally
figured out that their customer base was mainly suburban kids anyway. Plus, who
the hell wants to deal with K Street when you can skip the hassle and move
straight to Arden?

...and Ambercrombie is not a big box store. You could probably fit 15 Ambercrombies
inside 1 WalMart.
I should of been more specific when I said big box, the aura of it, like, SUVs aren't "big box" stores, but you know....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I should of been more specific when I said big box, the aura of it, like, SUVs
aren't "big box" stores, but you know....
I know what you mean, but I try not to focus on superficial or stereotypical
connotations. I try to see things for what they are, not what they've come
to represent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area