HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roberts Center for Pediatric Research in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Credit to Cubanchris.
A lot of good information on what they see this project becoming.
The towers themselves look nice, but I'm still horribly disappointed by the overall superblock design. I mean do they really need to put in a driveway paralleling Schuylkill Ave? Pitiful.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:36 PM

Here are some of the renderings.

Looks like the first phase of construction will start in October of next year.

The first tower also looks like it will be about 380 feet.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:03 PM

That's going to be awesome coming into south st.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Here are some of the renderings.

Looks like the first phase of construction will start in October of next year.

The first tower also looks like it will be about 380 feet.
Interesting how development will span between University City and Center City along two different axes, with Penn Park in between. I know that in some of the original planning for the Penn Connects program, there was to be a pedestrian bridge across the Schuylkill River that essentially would have extended Penn's Locust Walk into Center City, and bisected the triangle defined by those two axes. Now wouldn't THAT be a terrific vantage point to take in all of this new development (not to mention incredibly cool)?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 2:53 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Changing Skyline: Details still fuzzy on Children's Hospital's research center

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20...P0qP6XlJoDY.99
I agree with Inga that this a crucial location on the river and that the river interaction with the city should be maximized for future generations.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 3:13 PM
Hello

The Philly.com Inga Saffron article also states:

Quote:
In June, Children's expects to break ground on a 375-foot tower, a free-standing garage, a public park, and a waterfront promenade,
So this summer we get to start watching another high tech modern tower start to go up, further expanding the skyscraper boundaries of Center City.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
I agree with Inga that this a crucial location on the river and that the river interaction with the city should be maximized for future generations.
I agree. The river trail will be there, but I think many want to see more, as in some kind of establishment for FOOD + DRINK. Its a great location to take in the river and city views. They have the right idea with the park, but hopefully they take it a step further.

CHOP is usually very good with PR, hopefully they are somewhat receptive with the base.

In no way should they lower the height, if anything go bigger.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 4:54 PM

Looks like the tallest building is in fact 22 floors, 375 feet.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:05 AM

New Renderings of the first tower (Phase 1)- 700 Schuylkill Ave. 23 floors- 375 feet. Set to break ground this summer.

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...0Avenue_v2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Tower 1 is sharp, some great towers going up along the Schuylkill. Cira,Evo,FMC,CHOP,Dranoffs riverside tower.

Whats' the deal with that old AT+T building on South St that looks like its about 50 years old ? Is that currently being used or is it vacant? I never see any activity around it and looks to be in a prime location for re-use(hopefully a tear-down/re-use).

Looks like the River trail is going to get another extension to the southern tip of this new CHOP complex.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Tower 1 is sharp, some great towers going up along the Schuylkill. Cira,Evo,FMC,CHOP,Dranoffs riverside tower.

Whats' the deal with that old AT+T building on South St that looks like its about 50 years old ? Is that currently being used or is it vacant? I never see any activity around it and looks to be in a prime location for re-use(hopefully a tear-down/re-use).

Looks like the River trail is going to get another extension to the southern tip of this new CHOP complex.
Unfortunately, it is still being used by AT&T. It is downright ugly. I would love to see it demo'd and redeveloped into several towers... but that probably won't happen.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:32 PM

Nice design

The design for the first tower looks very "corporate". I'm liking it a lot.

Remember, folks coming in from out of town (from the airport) and coming up the Schuylkill Expressway will get to see this building before the "tada" of the full Philly Skyline. Wow, I just thought too...with this on the right, and the FMC Tower on the left..it's just gonna be eye candy from both sides! Nice!

(side note: I usually take 95 North from the Airport myself. But occasionally I've missed the entrance and wind up taking 76..shoot, I did it again! Took the darn wrong road again, but what a nice scenic route)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Unfortunately, it is still being used by AT&T. It is downright ugly. I would love to see it demo'd and redeveloped into several towers... but that probably won't happen.
Yes. Summer & Pennsgrant, I totally agree. After you mentioned it, I went back to look at the rendering again, and it really is ugly. I think it is an "operations" center, or something in that order. Probably lots of machinery and wires connecting myriad networks in the corporation. They really should give it a facelift though. My partner works for AT&T, and from the comments I've heard him talking about to other co-workers, I don't think this is a priority in their eyes.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
The design for the first tower looks very "corporate". I'm liking it a lot.

Remember, folks coming in from out of town (from the airport) and coming up the Schuylkill Expressway will get to see this building before the "tada" of the full Philly Skyline. Wow, I just thought too...with this on the right, and the FMC Tower on the left..it's just gonna be eye candy from both sides! Nice!
You will have to pass this unsightly beast first.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:

Oh Yea, I forgot about those others. But I feel confident that CHOP will make it quite nice. At least they are going for the tallest one to be constructed first. And especially FMC Headquarters Building! I think I like that one the best, so far. And it is a very impressive design. With Evo, I'm gonna wait to pass judgment (not that they care!) But I do like the height and keeping everything in order. The façade (looks) decent from the photos that were posted, but it's all this pre fab materials that projects use. I wish they would be more "original", or creative.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Let's hope that's just a crappy, low detail rendering (which I suspect it is). It could be that this will look a lot better in real life once the cladding and details, such as they are, are installed. [Fingers crossed. ]

In any event, it's always risky to judge a building based on a rendering, and especially one as lacking in detail as that one.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Let's hope that's just a crappy, low detail rendering (which I suspect it is). It could be that this will look a lot better in real life once the cladding and details, such as they are, are installed. [Fingers crossed. ]

Unless they radically change the design of the pcam extension I don't have any hope. I'm sure this addition is practical and will be a great asset to the hospital complex but this mammoth building is an architectural nightmare.

Thee very best cladding couldn't save this.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 11:33 PM

http://hiddencityphila.org/2014/03/t...rowth-of-chop/

Article on this today from Hidden City

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:24 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:53 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive