HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 12:52 AM

There's a zoning application that became public today for the vacant piece of land on the south side of Oak Street between Cambridge and Larrabee. It looks like it will be 3 buildings - first one with 78 units and a max height of 100 feet, and then a 12 unit building and 18 unit building - 108 total units. Total parking at 85. It's at the north end of the Cabrini-Green rowhomes.

This is CHA - and it looks like over 50% of the units will be affordable. Developer is Brinshore.

Currently (the entire field to Larrabee):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6421348

----------

Also, the old Calhoun Elementary School on Adams between California and Francisco has a zoning application to redevelop it to a 64 unit building with 20 spots for parking. This is East Garfield Park kind of on the edge to Near West Side. All units will be affordable housing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28...!4d-87.6975332

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 24, 2019 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:38 AM

Okay here's a cool and interesting one. Hopefully some people get excited about this. Sky River, which is a local Chinese developer behind some developments and upcoming ones, wants to renovate the 110 year old historic building on Cermak & Grove, which is on the river.

They want to make it into a 200 room hotel with retail and office uses. Unfortunately, they want to turn the vacant lot across the street (also on the river) to a 115 spot parking lot for the hotel. The cool part at least is that they propose to make a landscaped riverwalk for the entire 280,000 sq ft building and parking lot along the river. I did a little more digging, and they're calling it Hoyt Square and they have a website for this. Apparently the company behind the Good Fortune supermarket chain in NYC and the area bought shares in Sky River recently. The plans for this look really big.
https://www.465wcermak.com

Included:
* 200 room hotel
* 43,000 square foot Good Fortune supermarket (Chinese/Asian)
* A 99 Favor Taste hot pot restaurant --> they are in NYC and the hot pot is good. Certainly would become one of the better hot pots in Chicago if not the best.

* 2 mores restaurants including a Hot Space (grilled fish) which is in Flushing and Brooklyn, as well as an 800 seat Cantonese restaurant (i.e. get your dim sum here)
* A coffee shop with pastries
* "Home Smart Mall" - looks like show rooms for your home like Merchandise Mart does. 90,000 square feet.
* 45,000 square foot spa with swimming pool, bath house, etc.
* Food court

This is really interesting to me not only because they want to renovate a 110 year old historic building on the river and put a riverwalk in it with a hotel, but for what they want to do with it. This basically has Flushing (Queens) written all over it - some of these restaurants are in Flushing (most legit Chinese area in NYC in my opinion), but also just the scale of this thing. There's a few big things like this in Flushing - and also one of my favorite parts in all of NYC. Also it's interesting because another restaurant from Flushing recently opened a Chicago outpost in Chinatown. Specifically that is called Friend BBQ - their restaurant in Flushing (which we are fans of) is called Friendship BBQ.

Sign of things to come for Chicago Chinatown area..? I wonder if more investors or restaurants from Flushing might be coming to Chicago if this thing gets off the ground.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/45....6391709?hl=en

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay here's a cool and interesting one. Hopefully some people get excited about this. Sky River, which is a local Chinese developer behind some developments and upcoming ones, wants to renovate the 110 year old historic building on Cermak & Grove, which is on the river.

They want to make it into a 200 room hotel with retail and office uses. Unfortunately, they want to turn the vacant lot across the street (also on the river) to a 115 spot parking lot for the hotel. The cool part at least is that they propose to make a landscaped riverwalk for the entire 280,000 sq ft building and parking lot along the river. I did a little more digging, and they're calling it Hoyt Square and they have a website for this. Apparently the company behind the Good Fortune supermarket chain in NYC and the area bought shares in Sky River recently. The plans for this look really big.
https://www.465wcermak.com

Included:
* 200 room hotel
* 43,000 square foot Good Fortune supermarket (Chinese/Asian)
* A 99 Favor Taste hot pot restaurant --> they are in NYC and the hot pot is good. Certainly would become one of the better hot pots in Chicago if not the best.

* 2 mores restaurants including a Hot Space (grilled fish) which is in Flushing and Brooklyn, as well as an 800 seat Cantonese restaurant (i.e. get your dim sum here)
* A coffee shop with pastries
* "Home Smart Mall" - looks like show rooms for your home like Merchandise Mart does. 90,000 square feet.
* 45,000 square foot spa with swimming pool, bath house, etc.
* Food court

This is really interesting to me not only because they want to renovate a 110 year old historic building on the river and put a riverwalk in it with a hotel, but for what they want to do with it. This basically has Flushing (Queens) written all over it - some of these restaurants are in Flushing (most legit Chinese area in NYC in my opinion), but also just the scale of this thing. There's a few big things like this in Flushing - and also one of my favorite parts in all of NYC. Also it's interesting because another restaurant from Flushing recently opened a Chicago outpost in Chinatown. Specifically that is called Friend BBQ - their restaurant in Flushing (which we are fans of) is called Friendship BBQ.

Sign of things to come for Chicago Chinatown area..? I wonder if more investors or restaurants from Flushing might be coming to Chicago if this thing gets off the ground.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/45....6391709?hl=en
Very cool! Love the sound of all of this. Even the parking lot doesn't bother me too much, given the industrial uses of the surrounding area.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:14 AM
The City

Nice! Call me very excited

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
Very cool! Love the sound of all of this. Even the parking lot doesn't bother me too much, given the industrial uses of the surrounding area.
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. Now here's some more interesting stuff. I think I'd posted on here a long time ago how the Chinese population has gone up in and around Pilsen.

There is another application available now from another developer who sounds Chinese ("New Chan LLC") for the vacant land bounded by Des Plaines, Jefferson, Cullerton, and 21st St. Total land area is nearly 225,000 sq ft. The application shows plans for 233 residential units across 6 buildings (4-7 stories in height). One of the buildings to be a 137,000 sq ft retail building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...6!4d-87.642504

If you follow this, then you realize that this area is basically across the river from the previous building I just posted about, and almost right after the bridge, you'd turn on Jefferson and it's a block up. Not far away on that side of the river closer to 18th street are a few Chinese markets.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:31 AM
The City

Well blow me down!

We’re witnessing the Chinese version of what Sterling Bay did with the West Loop

Fantastico!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well blow me down!

We’re witnessing the Chinese version of what Sterling Bay did with the West Loop

Fantastico!
I can't find anything on the west of the river development, though all the partners in the company are Chinese. No idea if the retail area would be primarily Chinese type of stuff or whatever.

It got me thinking though. That area west of the river is prime for something like this. If enough people with money purchased that stuff up, it basically becomes an extension of Chinatown...there's a lot of fairly sizable projects happening right now in Flushing in NYC (or have completed in the last handful of years). I mean, Chinese population in Chicago is expanding a bit - not as much as NYC, but this would be really interesting to see...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:41 AM
The City

The Hoyt Square website shows that this is a pretty well baked plan. Looks promising

You pulled out another gem, Marothisu. This thing looks almost like a Chinese Eataly

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:46 AM
The City

Quote:
I can't find anything on the west of the river development, though all the partners in the company are Chinese. No idea if the retail area would be primarily Chinese type of stuff or whatever.

It got me thinking though. That area west of the river is prime for something like this. If enough people with money purchased that stuff up, it basically becomes an extension of Chinatown...there's a lot of fairly sizable projects happening right now in Flushing in NYC (or have completed in the last handful of years). I mean, Chinese population in Chicago is expanding a bit - not as much as NYC, but this would be really interesting to see...
If only our huge and entrepreneurial minded Indo-Pak population took interest in building a district like this. Don’t get me wrong, Devon is nice, but they bought existing buildings.

Would love to see an outward expansion with more hotels, shops, etc. Alas, most of the new retail, restaurants is happening in the burbs

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The Hoyt Square website shows that this is a pretty well baked plan. Looks promising

You pulled out another gem, Marothisu. This thing looks almost like a Chinese Eataly
Yeah, I don't know why but it made me really excited. Maybe because I really like Flushing and this is straight out of Flushing basically including a few places I know, have eaten at numerous times, and are authentic and good. Then the other one west of the river potentially. You realize that the industrial area near the river if people played their cards right could really support a lot of stuff...if Chinatown wants to expand, it could potentially do it in this area with the right backing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:55 AM

Hoyt Square

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:01 AM
>~< , QED!

I hope they do something to improve those underpasses on Cermak. Some sidewalk repairs and murals would go a long way.

Also, maybe they can add an orange line stop so I can get there faster?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:29 AM
>~< , QED!

Snooping around permits for Chinatown (trying to figure out when the strip mall at Archer/Clark appeared...), I found this permit from December:

2018 S Archer Ave:
NEW 5 STORY, TYPE I-C OFFICE BUILDING AS PER PLANS *STRUCTURAL PEER REVIEW* CURRENT USE: VACANT LAND/PROPOSED USE: COMMERCIAL OFFICE BUILDING **CERTIFIED PLANS CORRECTIONS: CONDITIONAL PERMIT SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTIONS **

Appears to be the same person mentioned in this article, which mentions the same location as far as I can tell:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...in-kuong-chong

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I hope they do something to improve those underpasses on Cermak. Some sidewalk repairs and murals would go a long way.

Also, maybe they can add an orange line stop so I can get there faster?
Cermak seems like a natural spot for an orange line stop once the area develops a bit more.

Regarding the Hoyt Square development, it appears renovation work has already started in some capacity – I've noticed they've been removing the bricked out windows for the past few weeks during rides past the building on the orange line.

Also, isn't the land you mentioned nearby (where the 4-7 story buildings are going) part of a PMD?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Snooping around permits for Chinatown (trying to figure out when the strip mall at Archer/Clark appeared...), I found this permit from December:

2018 S Archer Ave:
NEW 5 STORY, TYPE I-C OFFICE BUILDING AS PER PLANS *STRUCTURAL PEER REVIEW* CURRENT USE: VACANT LAND/PROPOSED USE: COMMERCIAL OFFICE BUILDING **CERTIFIED PLANS CORRECTIONS: CONDITIONAL PERMIT SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTIONS **

Appears to be the same person mentioned in this article, which mentions the same location as far as I can tell:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...in-kuong-chong
Yeah I thought I had posted this. It's phase 2 of a project where phase 1 is that little building with the Meet Fresh. This will go on that same strip of land. I think the hotel in the article was supposed to be across the street from this.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:01 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Yeah I thought I had posted this. It's phase 2 of a project where phase 1 is that little building with the Meet Fresh. This will go on that same strip of land. I think the hotel in the article was supposed to be across the street from this.
If the address is correct, 2018 S Archer should be on the North side of Archer I think, which would be this lot I think: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8551...7i16384!8i8192

Too bad the Hilliard Homes are going to hold back the eastward expansion of Chinatown...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
If the address is correct, 2018 S Archer should be on the North side of Archer I think, which would be this lot I think: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8551...7i16384!8i8192

Too bad the Hilliard Homes are going to hold back the eastward expansion of Chinatown...
I originally thought that too, but it's not correct. I have to find the site plans but it shows it next to the little 1 story building there, not across the street like the address makes everyone believe

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:15 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
I originally thought that too, but it's not correct. I have to find the site plans but it shows it next to the little 1 story building there, not across the street like the address makes everyone believe
Very strange... I wonder if they accidentally put the year in the address field lol

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Very strange... I wonder if they accidentally put the year in the address field lol
Lol would be funny. Image 3: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2026...o-IL/14760125/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Also, isn't the land you mentioned nearby (where the 4-7 story buildings are going) part of a PMD?
No, the PMD pretty much hugs the river in this area.

The larger inland site was actually approved for a residential PD way back in 2008. That PD has now expired and the land reverted back to the underlying zoning of B2-3.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development