HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11621  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:04 AM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
SAINT JOHN – Saint John Energy will issue a Request for Proposal Friday inviting developers to build a $30-million wind energy project in the Spruce Lake Industrial Park on the city’s west side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I'm guessing this project will be on the west side of King William Road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11622  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 AM
Fischbob's Avatar
Fischbob Fischbob is offline
New Brunswick Urbanite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 503
I would disagree that we're on the same level as Boston's Back Bay, but hype train aside this advertorial from Develop SJ (published in Atlantic Business Magazine) has a roundup of projects underway Uptown and a bit of extra info re: plans for City Hall. Apparently a residential conversion of some of the upper floors of the tower hasn't yet been ruled out.

I also note the low vacancy rate quoted for newly built/renovated units, which corroborates my intuition that demand continues to be strong for high-quality residences uptown.


Source
__________________
“The street is the river of life of the city, the place where we come together, the pathway to the center.” –William H. Whyte

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11623  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:08 PM
cdnguys cdnguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 425
I was withholding judgment until I could see more, but the new Irving HQ has got to be the most premium office building in Maritimes (I’ve seen quite a few in my career throughout Maritimes). There is a reason it is under construction for almost 3 years. If you have a chance look in the glass side along Sydney street when dark so you can see inside. The atrium along Sydney street and staircase is impressive from bottom to top floor. This truly is an iconic building not just an office building. Hoping they offer tours to public
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11624  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:36 AM
mark smith mark smith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I was withholding judgment until I could see more, but the new Irving HQ has got to be the most premium office building in Maritimes (I’ve seen quite a few in my career throughout Maritimes). There is a reason it is under construction for almost 3 years. If you have a chance look in the glass side along Sydney street when dark so you can see inside. The atrium along Sydney street and staircase is impressive from bottom to top floor. This truly is an iconic building not just an office building. Hoping they offer tours to public
The Irving HQ the most premium in the maritimes? lol maybe the ugliest but halifax as much much nicer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11625  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:55 AM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
The Irving HQ the most premium in the maritimes? lol maybe the ugliest but halifax as much much nicer.
Well it isn't done yet, so I think "ugliest" is premature. By premium I believe he means material choice and detailing, which is not surprising given that it is being built by Irving Oil, for Irving Oil. There was little doubt the company would make sure it had high standards on finishing, even thoughI believe it falls flat as a part of our urban fabric.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11626  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:44 AM
cdnguys cdnguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Well it isn't done yet, so I think "ugliest" is premature. By premium I believe he means material choice and detailing, which is not surprising given that it is being built by Irving Oil, for Irving Oil. There was little doubt the company would make sure it had high standards on finishing, even thoughI believe it falls flat as a part of our urban fabric.
Yes that’s what I was referrring to is materials. I think too often developers go for the glass curtain attached to the floor plates - looks clean and modern but age IMO. That’s why I love the Blue Cross building in Moncton - a lot of thought went into it.
What kind of design/curtain would you envisage for area? I think the sandstone takes it queue nicely from the surrounding area, especially imperial theatre, Admiral Beatty, UNBSJ building, wedding cake building and government buildings on Prince William. To me it looks like B+H architects did their home work but I get other people will disagree. Very rare everybody would love a building design. The Chrysler building in NYC when built was derided by many as an eyesore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11627  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:55 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Yes that’s what I was referrring to is materials. I think too often developers go for the glass curtain attached to the floor plates - looks clean and modern but age IMO. That’s why I love the Blue Cross building in Moncton - a lot of thought went into it.
What kind of design/curtain would you envisage for area? I think the sandstone takes it queue nicely from the surrounding area, especially imperial theatre, Admiral Beatty, UNBSJ building, wedding cake building and government buildings on Prince William. To me it looks like B+H architects did their home work but I get other people will disagree. Very rare everybody would love a building design. The Chrysler building in NYC when built was derided by many as an eyesore.
I think the design is very thoughtful and will age well, my issues are that on one hand I was personally hoping for something a bit more avant-garde, but I get that IOL would probably never do that, and secondly that the development as a whole has sacrificed the entire corner of Princess and Charlotte for surface parking behind a fence/wall, and that the parking garage structure between Leinster and King Street East is a huge waste of space in a critical transition area between the residential core of the eastern peninsula and the central business core. Add to the fact that the development has already displaced residential units and a small business on Sydney, and that the building has no retail or commercial street frontage, it ends up being a bit bland overall and will be a dead corner after 6:00 pm every day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11628  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:17 AM
McKay McKay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
the development has already displaced residential units and a small business on Sydney
What were they?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11629  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:28 AM
cdnguys cdnguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
What were they?
Nobody was displaced. Only thing torn down was a garage that belonged to the Parker House Inn. For parking garage it was an abandoned warehouse torn down. Irving purchased the buildings along Sydney from Leinster to court house but nobody was evicted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11630  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 AM
Fischbob's Avatar
Fischbob Fischbob is offline
New Brunswick Urbanite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 503
A new, approx 148-unit development proposal from John Rocca that will require a Municipal Plan amendment has appeared in next week's Council agenda (Item 10.2). It's off of Mountain View Drive and is being branded as Calabria Estates. The proposal is for a mix of townhouses and apartments, with the largest building being 6 storeys with around 100 units.

Part of the proposal is for a gated entrance at the western end of Lamezia Lane, something we haven't seen much of in SJ.







Building Type A is an... interesting design for sure:

__________________
“The street is the river of life of the city, the place where we come together, the pathway to the center.” –William H. Whyte

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11631  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:29 PM
SJTOKO SJTOKO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 307
Notoriously terrible developer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
A new, approx 148-unit development proposal from John Rocca that will require a Municipal Plan amendment has appeared in next week's Council agenda (Item 10.2). It's off of Mountain View Drive and is being branded as Calabria Estates. The proposal is for a mix of townhouses and apartments, with the largest building being 6 storeys with around 100 units.

Part of the proposal is for a gated entrance at the western end of Lamezia Lane, something we haven't seen much of in SJ.







Building Type A is an... interesting design for sure:

Somehow scrapes enough money together for this 1990's-ish project, but leaves the prime lot next to Harbourfront Condo's vacant... overgrown with weeds and strewn with garbage. Absolutely pathetic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11632  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:55 AM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post

By the look of the design priorities and frontage, this building is housing for cars, not people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11633  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:11 PM
cdnguys cdnguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
By the look of the design priorities and frontage, this building is housing for cars, not people.
I agree but seems nowadays people are more interested in their car accessibility than aesthetics - be nice if parking could be in behind the house via an alley like Edmonton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11634  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:44 PM
Fischbob's Avatar
Fischbob Fischbob is offline
New Brunswick Urbanite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 503
New four-unit infill development proposed for the corner of Charlotte and Queen Square South. Images below are from Wednesday's HDB agenda with staff recommending approval.









__________________
“The street is the river of life of the city, the place where we come together, the pathway to the center.” –William H. Whyte

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11635  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 12:58 PM
NB_ExistsToo NB_ExistsToo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 56
^^^ I used to rent pretty much right next to this lot a couple years ago.

It's definitely an area that needs some updating, it's a great location, and my dream is one day they'll get rid of the large garbage bag of salt that is currently ruining the view for everyone at the end of the peninsula
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11636  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:19 PM
cdnguys cdnguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
^^^ I used to rent pretty much right next to this lot a couple years ago.

It's definitely an area that needs some updating, it's a great location, and my dream is one day they'll get rid of the large garbage bag of salt that is currently ruining the view for everyone at the end of the peninsula
They need to find a supplier in Canada for the salt - hopefully be soon otherwise they will continue to ship in from Isle de Madeleine. It’s an eyesore along with AIM on other side of harbour
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11637  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:23 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
They need to find a supplier in Canada for the salt - hopefully be soon otherwise they will continue to ship in from Isle de Madeleine. It’s an eyesore along with AIM on other side of harbour
Ideally they will come to some type of accommodation allowing for salt production from the former potash mine in Sussex.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.