HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 4:10 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I ain't no H8R.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:10 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

The city of hard work...........rewarded.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 7:06 AM

How? Living there did it for me.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 9:15 AM
BANNED

^Bit of a misanthrope are we?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:30 PM
In Science I Trust

It's an awesome city that we live in

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It's impossible not to love NYC!

Amazing set of pics!
word!

my favorite part of manhattan - soho baby

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 1:42 AM

Someone hates NYC?!!!????!

Amazing pics!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 8:30 PM

Thanks Everyone For The Comments!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:20 AM

Actually, these photos display brilliantly many of the reasons I do hate NYC... well, maybe hate is too strong a word. Suffice to say, I don't love it. How can anyone not love NYC? Simple. One needs only to have eyes to see past patriotism and hype to the reality of overcrowding, crumbling and decaying infrastructure, a dangerous environment for pedestrians, an overgrown and non-human scaled streetscape, etc., etc. and a grossly inflated cost of living in spite of all of this. To make allusion to a movie quote from Clueless, NYC is the epitome of a "Monet"; it's pretty to look at from far away (to some), but up close it's just a big mess.

Sorry to rain on the NYC love parade.

Great photos in any event.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:27 AM
BANNED

You're in the minority in that view. Over 20m people think that it's great enough to pay a massive premium to live in NYC and its suburbs, and over 40m annually pay a massive premium to vacation there.

No US city remotely approaches the greatness of NY.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:58 AM

Oh, I'm well aware I'm in the minority, and of NYC's stats. And if by "greatness" you mean shear scale, then I agree, obviously.

The mistake is to believe that because it's the biggest, it's the best. But even if you buy into that---that it's the biggest and the best we've got---it clearly doesn't live up to its self-anointed title of greatest city in the world. It also doesn't help that American culture is collapsing underneath it; it's hard to have a great city in a broken society.

Anyway, all of this is probably not for here. My point is that, despite NYC's popularity, there are those who hold differing views.

Again, the photos are wonderful. I do not mean to detract from them in any way.

P.S., That's a lovely photo of one of the redeeming qualities of NYC---the fact that during a large portion of its formative years it was imitating Europe.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
BANNED

It is the greatest financial center, cultural center, media center, etc.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsOfOmaha View Post
Actually, these photos display brilliantly many of the reasons I do hate NYC... well, maybe hate is too strong a word. Suffice to say, I don't love it. How can anyone not love NYC? Simple. One needs only to have eyes to see past patriotism and hype to the reality of overcrowding, crumbling and decaying infrastructure, a dangerous environment for pedestrians, an overgrown and non-human scaled streetscape, etc., etc. and a grossly inflated cost of living in spite of all of this. To make allusion to a movie quote from Clueless, NYC is the epitome of a "Monet"; it's pretty to look at from far away (to some), but up close it's just a big mess.

Sorry to rain on the NYC love parade.

Great photos in any event.
I have to agree with you to a point..I was there last year for an extended weekend, with the year before in Philly. I really did enjoy touring around, and
appreciated the grandness of the city, but I just wasn't prepared for a few annoyances of NYC.
First of all, because of the prime real estate, every fast food outlet in Manhattan only has one bathroom stall to be shared with every-one..Need to go, well good luck waiting in line just to use the one and only bathroom.
Next, want to catch a breather, or stop for a sec. while walking anywhere near Time's square?..You have to step off the sidewalk, and hover around a hydrant, due to all the pedestrian traffic.Restaurants are understandably over -priced..Don't get me wrong other than these annoyances which I kind of half expected, I liked the tours etc., but I enjoyed Philly a lot more, not just because of the breathing room, but it had a certain "vibe" that I liked. The same kind of "je ne sais quoi" that I also feel in Montreal.As a Canadian traveller soaking in a weekend in the states, Philadelphia "felt" more American, and less international. Oops "My bad".Here I am giving a plug for Philadelphia in a NYC boosting thread.

Last edited by Razor; Jan 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:44 PM

Well, I used to believe it was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. However, I haven't even visited in almost twenty years and don't feel the slightest bit deprived. It's not like it was thirty or forty years ago when most of NY's attractions were available only in NY. Nowadays, any large city has good or even great restaurants; some kind of theater; museums, and shopping has become so homogenized there is nothing in NY you can't find in any other large city.

Don't get me wrong. A chacun son gout. People who like NY are welcome to; just don't expect me to join in the chorus of praise.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Well, I used to believe it was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. However, I haven't even visited in almost twenty years and don't feel the slightest bit deprived. It's not like it was thirty or forty years ago when most of NY's attractions were available only in NY. Nowadays, any large city has good or even great restaurants; some kind of theater; museums, and shopping has become so homogenized there is nothing in NY you can't find in any other large city.

Don't get me wrong. A chacun son gout. People who like NY are welcome to; just don't expect me to join in the chorus of praise.
If you don't feel deprived, you must get your kicks out of Europe or somewhere else to compensate. I'm tell ing you, the US has no other real vibrant cities when you look at it from a global perspective. They are just imitations of NYC (Chicago, etc) or else suburban wastelands with no central vibrancy at all. A couple of exceptions, but not enough to matter.

I like NY, because unlike most other cities, it is one of the handful that actually have something interesting going on - i.e, large scale development projects in architecture, transport or urban design. Where else can you get that if you are development enthusiast? Nowhere in this country, no siree.

=

Last edited by aquablue; Jan 19, 2012 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
If you don't feel deprived, you must get your kicks out of Europe or somewhere else to compensate. I'm tell ing you, the US has no other real vibrant cities when you look at it from a global perspective. They are just imitations of NYC (Chicago, etc)

=
San Francisco - everything New York has to offer but the weather is nicer and the people are more polite.

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to get on an airplane to go to NY.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Really good stuff

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Also, what did you expect when you came to NYC? You seem to have expected a bigger TO OR MONREAL? A larger version of London? No, NYC makes those places feel like quiet tranquil villages and that is why it is valued for what it is.
Yeah, filth, incessant noise, and rudeness on a city-wide scale are certainly what a civilized urban environment is made up of.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
San Francisco - everything New York has to offer but the weather is nicer and the people are more polite.

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason to get on an airplane to go to NY.
Oh yes, one of those exceptions. Still, I'd never live in such a conservative city vis-a-vis development. Also, it was rather dead downtown when I was there. It has basically nothing that NYC has to offer. Downtown feels less interesting than a tiny European city like Liverpool.

Rudeness? The people in LA and Santa Monica were far ruder IMO than NYC.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
yeah, filth, incessant noise, and rudeness on a city-wide scale are certainly what a civilized urban environment is made up of.
lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos