HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 6:46 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I'm personally of the opinion that all the WTC buildings should be 20-30% bigger in every dimension, but this one especially - 2 WTC is the stylistic successor to the original Towers. Tent-pole skyscrapers should drive subsequent upward growth in the skyline, not complete it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:37 AM
JoeCooper

Well as time goes on, maybe there may be that possibility of extra floors, especially in Tower 3 if they land a major tenant. I know I may be stirring up a hornets nest but still, it may happen... I try to look at it like that the old towers 3 and 4 had heights nowhere NEAR what the new ones will, hehehe...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^I aside from the roof, there isn't really anywhere on tower 4 you can stand where you're above 900 feet, so...calling it 1,000 feet in this context is a stretch.
I don't think it's a stretch at all. Most of us probaby won't get to the top of tower 3, but that doesn't mean it's not more than a thousand foot in the sky. There isn't that great of a difference between 975 ft and 1,000 ft, so it's virtually 1,000 ft when seen on the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Well as time goes on, maybe there may be that possibility of extra floors, especially in Tower 3 if they land a major tenant. I know I may be stirring up a hornets nest but still, it may happen... I try to look at it like that the old towers 3 and 4 had heights nowhere NEAR what the new ones will, hehehe...

That's true, the new plan is much better than what we thought we would be getting 5 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 6:32 PM

How much time they need to get on street level ?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider15 View Post
How much time they need to get on street level ?
About a year and a half. They should be done by the end of 2011.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 6:05 PM

Early 2013, not 2011.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Early 2013, not 2011.
Yea My bad

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 11:09 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
That will never happen! I wish people would always stop bringing up possibilities of extra height of buildings that are under construction or even proposed. When a building is proposed it is usually the tallest possible height that can it possibly can be considering budget and zoning and other things. Because it can only be downgraded from that not upgraded.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 12:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Look closely here, and you can see foundation work continuing...

ajagendorf25

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 2:53 AM
Build Baby Build

That is an amazing picture. I think that sort of picture will be amazing to look at in 30 years from now, when we all feel nostalgia for WTC construction.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:13 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Updated the diagram. Better glass, and the angle shows off the fins and how they'll change the look of the building. You can also see 7WTC as a reflection.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:23 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
That will never happen! I wish people would always stop bringing up possibilities of extra height of buildings that are under construction or even proposed. When a building is proposed it is usually the tallest possible height that can it possibly can be considering budget and zoning and other things. Because it can only be downgraded from that not upgraded.

That's not really true, I'm not saying the WTC towers will be built any taller but there might be some design changes, the height could change slightly, like Merril lynch was planning on moving into tower 3 which would have made it 1250 feet for their building plan, it's not likely but something like that could happen again

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:37 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^It's getting kinda late for that though. The drawings for this building were finalized in 2008, just after ML pulled out. If someone else came along, they'd have to stop EVERYTHING they're doing right now until new plans were finalized. It would delay the building for probably another year, and it already won't meet the street for 13 months.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
If someone else came along, they'd have to stop EVERYTHING they're doing right now until new plans were finalized. It would delay the building for probably another year, and it already won't meet the street for 13 months.
And Silverstein already did that once, another lenghty delay with no results.

Silverstein's spokesman has said that they're not going to start from scratch. So even if tower 2 construction is delayed, they're not going to change the design. The towers will be basically what they are planned as now.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:58 PM
DENNAB

I would unfortunately have to agree,

Kinda sad there won't really be any buildings much higher than 1100 feet on this site (since I would say the top occupied floors are where a building truly tops out.

It should look real cool when its done though

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:20 PM
Because I'm Clever!

I'd actually say the best chance for a design change is if the building doesn't find any tenants before they reach grade and they actually stop work as planned. Only once they've already taken machinery off the site, would they consider a retrofit for a larger building.

I find the stoppage unlikely, especially in the case of 3WTC, which has until roughly summer 2011 (when they're about ready to finish the podium) to lease only 400,000 of the building's 2.1M sqft of office space to get PA financing to finish up. 2WTC...that's a maybe. They're officially going to build this one to grade, which is due in December 2011, before they make any decision to proceed or not with the building at all. 2WTC will be entirely privately financed, and thus will need to find tenants for 50-60% of its 2.8M gsqft of space. I think it will happen, it's high quality space, a landmark building, and there just aren't going to be ANY other 3Msqft buildings put up in the city. That's a damn big building and NYC laws just don't let that many pop up.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I'd actually say the best chance for a design change is if the building doesn't find any tenants before they reach grade and they actually stop work as planned. Only once they've already taken machinery off the site, would they consider a retrofit for a larger building.
They won't build anything taller. It's too close as it is in height to the Freedom Tower, not accounting the spire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Kinda sad there won't really be any buildings much higher than 1100 feet on this site (since I would say the top occupied floors are where a building truly tops out.
What is sad is no one cares about your definition of where a building truly tops out. It tops out where it does, end of story. No need for you to keep reposting the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They won't build anything taller. It's too close as it is in height to the Freedom Tower, not accounting the spire.
But to them the top of the spire IS the top of 1WTC so even if 2WTC were 1500 feet tall (not saying its going to be) there would still be the spiral element.

The whole spiral idea is horrible, hopefully they forget about it, and 5WTC can be taller than most of them.

Quote:
What is sad is no one cares about your definition of where a building truly tops out. It tops out where it does, end of story. No need for you to keep reposting the same thing
What tops out? A place where no one has access to? if the top occupiable floors are 1100 or so feet, that's about how high these buildings are, I really like all of these buildings for the record, but they are not the twin towers.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:19 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Uh-huh, right. If Silverstein ends up in the unlikely position of a potential tenant needing more space, I really don't see him saying no. Nor do I see the PA doing anything either, as they've already washed their hands of Greenwich St and have no interest or stomach in another protracted public war with Silverstein, especially over something that will actually fill the WTC up.

So...highly, highly, highly unlikely, but don't act like there's actual rules here. They were all fully willing to jack 3WTC up to equal the height to 2WTC for Merrill Lynch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction