HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Number One Bloor in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:06 PM
gettin' rich!

One Bloor will now be 75 Floors!!!

Take that Aura!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:16 AM

I'm guessing this is why Aura is going up 3 more levels...wonder if the builders for either project will make further amendments and try for the 80 floor threshold...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 3:30 AM

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if at least one of 1 Bloor or Aura actually hit the 80 floor mark. I imagine they have already drawn plans for such a height, and, bit like the battle for height many years ago with the construction of the Chrysler Building have kept the actual figure a closely guarded secret.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:00 AM

Didn't they say during sales of Aura that they may ad another 10 floors if they chose to?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:03 AM
gettin' rich!

Yes Aura has been built to support 10 more floors over and above it's 75 floors.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:51 AM

And I think they did that so they could stay ahead of Bazi's version of One Bloor at the time.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 3:09 AM
gettin' rich!

The pace at one Bloor appears to be picking up. They could be at the bottom of the pit by summer, if things keep going at this clip.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:01 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
bit like the battle for height many years ago with the construction of the Chrysler Building have kept the actual figure a closely guarded secret.
That would make sense if they were both at the same stage but Aura will be completed long before 1 Bloor is finished. So no matter what they do at Aura, 1 Bloor will have the final say (between those 2). However, I'd image that other proposals still in the works will top both those two either way.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum118 View Post
Jan 27
Given where they are on excavation, its not that hard to go back and look at the foundation to see how many more floors can be added before beefing it up.

What every the out come is, there will be extra cost right across the board to add these extra floor as well pushing the completion date back by X months depending on the number of floors.

I think most of us disagree with the original height considering it was shorter than what was to be built there in the first place. I would like to see the 80+ floors as first proposed, but I can live with 75. Someone got to break the 80 level sooner or later, but most of all the 100 floors and 300m ceiling.

From Drum118 at UT

One Bloor

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...arini)/page186

From the picture you can tell it will not be able to match Aura in pure size, but, it will try.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 9:33 PM

It`s early to say but I think Bloor/ Yonge deserved something better. We`ll see how it goes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:07 AM
Website Manager

This thread has been moved to the proposals section of the forum while excavation of the site is taking place. It will be moved back to the construction section when actual construction begins.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:49 PM

I've never understood that. If they have construction workers, vehicles, and permits to build on site then the building is clearly u/c. Excavation is part of the construction process. As they dig down they build and reinforce retaining walls which are part of the finished building. 1 Bloor is not a proposal site, it's a construction site.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
I've never understood that. If they have construction workers, vehicles, and permits to build on site then the building is clearly u/c. Excavation is part of the construction process. As they dig down they build and reinforce retaining walls which are part of the finished building. 1 Bloor is not a proposal site, it's a construction site.
I was thinking the same. Digging the foundations is all part of the construction of a building.

It's not like they're digging a big hole in the ground and then saying "hey, anybody got any ideas for and want to come build a tower here?!"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:04 PM

And it's not like installing pilings is a guarantor of completion.

But whatever.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
It's a contentious issue. There is never an agreement and no correct answer, I do however agree with Dylan on this one. although a hole is being dug, the building is not being constructed, no part of the building is actually in existence yet.

Either way it's just semantics and a line had to be drawn and according to the site it was drawn at this point.

It will be in the construction sub forum soon enough.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
And it's not like installing pilings is a guarantor of completion.

But whatever.
For the last 150 or so foundations dug out in Toronto over the past 10 years, only 2 were capped off at ground level for a few years. Never has a residential building been dug out and just left. They can't start building residential structures in Toronto unless the building is financed. So yes in this case it is a guarantee of completion.

So if it's not under construction yet what do we call the workers on site? Proposal workers?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:16 AM

Quote:
So if it's not under construction yet what do we call the workers on site? Proposal workers?
Exactly. Excavation is part of the construction of the building. Not the proposal of a building. Building designs and plans may change during this process, but, in my opinion that is still part of the construction. And one that merits discussion as actual construction.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:48 PM

For those that did not know. 1 Bloor will be FULL CURTAIN WALL and will also be a steel structure according to Tucker Hi-Rise President Michael McGrath.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
For those that did not know. 1 Bloor will be FULL CURTAIN WALL and will also be a steel structure according to Tucker Hi-Rise President Michael McGrath.
Wow very impressive. Ratchets up the excitement a few notches for me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:34 PM

Ditto this will make it the tallest Curtain wall residential in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive