HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:42 PM

Sears Tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhiLx...elated&search=

I thong that was mentioned was people have to shange elevators to get from 1 floor to the other. Why would they bult a building in such a way? Don't recall them saying why.
I watched most of the epsiodes except for the last 1.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:53 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Elevator shafts take up alot of space if they are long. They are short because shorter takes less space than bigger elevators. For an example, if the WTC were to have 2 single elevators going to the top, most ofthe building would be the shafts.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 2:18 PM
let's work together

Thank you very much, mikeelm!!!!

I'm so happy you posted this! At first I didn't understand what you were trying to say with your message. Okay I still don't...

But the Documentation is marvellous!!!! THANKS!

Does anyone know if there's a DVD related to this?

- Sears Tower Construction
- Original World Trade Center Construction

or this?
- John Hancock Center
and other 60's , 70's supertalls during construction & development process?

That would be great.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 12:03 AM

they broke up the elevators into long distance, short distance and medium distance so that you aren't waiting for an hour to get upstairs. Imagine how many people at any given second are trying to go from floor to floor using the elevators. Now imagine if they only had 2 elevators. You would have to wait for the elevator to come down from floor 100 to pick you up downstairs and make 50 stops along the way. Thats why...in addition to the size that was already mentioned.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 3:54 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independence View Post

or this?
- John Hancock Center
They have a Modern Marvels about the Hancock building....they have it playing all the time at the observation deck if you go up there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:24 PM
skeetskeetskeet

i love that show hahah

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
They have a Modern Marvels about the Hancock building....they have it playing all the time at the observation deck if you go up there.
Why would anyone go to the observation deck at the Hancock when you can, for free, go to the bar a few floors higher? For the price of the admission ticket to the observation deck, you can relax in a comfortable chair and sip a martini. And get the same views.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 8:13 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Elevators going to different floors and sky lobbies exist to move people throught a highrise most efficiently. The concept of different elevators for different floors I think existed as early as the Empire State Building but the idea of skylobbies came into effect with the John Hancock Center (mostly to separate office from residential in this case), the World Trade Center and the Sears Tower.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 8:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
i believe i've seen modern marvles episodes for all three: hancock, sears and WTC.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Elevators going to different floors and sky lobbies exist to move people throught a highrise most efficiently. The concept of different elevators for different floors I think existed as early as the Empire State Building but the idea of skylobbies came into effect with the John Hancock Center (mostly to separate office from residential in this case), the World Trade Center and the Sears Tower.
Indeed. Sometimes people forget that if you work at the Sears Tower, once you get to your office you are really only concerned with the contiguous floors that your company also leases. You really have no reason to go from 30 to 75 and then down to 47. Once you are at work, the elevators appear completely normal as your little world within the tower is confined to a specific bank of elevators.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 2:22 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Why would anyone go to the observation deck at the Hancock when you can, for free, go to the bar a few floors higher? For the price of the admission ticket to the observation deck, you can relax in a comfortable chair and sip a martini. And get the same views.
Perhaps because I live in Atlanta and just flew up for the weekend...I had no idea you could do that. Oh well, it was cool either way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because I live in Atlanta and just flew up for the weekend...I had no idea you could do that. Oh well, it was cool either way.
Next time, post in the midwest forum and ask for suggestions and/or opinions about your plans!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 4:58 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

That second post, I dont agree with. 1 Large elevator shaft is going to take just as much cubic space as several shorter elevator shafts.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 6:34 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GR2NY- View Post
That second post, I dont agree with. 1 Large elevator shaft is going to take just as much cubic space as several shorter elevator shafts.
While that is true, you would have fewer elevator cars with a smaller total capacity (with the design where the elevator shafts go from top to buttom of the entire building) and each car would have to stop at more floors. By having some express elevators to upper skylobbies and other local elevators, a greater efficiency of space and time was achieved.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 7:59 AM

Maybe this will help visualize it...

Here's a link to a diagram of the skylobby/local elevator concept in the WTC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...Arrangment.svg
The graphic on the side shows you that by using the skylobby system you can provide the same level of elevator service, but that many of the individual floors don't need the full amount of elevator banks.

Here's some stuff I just scraped together for the Sears Tower.

This is the 5th floor.

There is a bank of 8 elevators that make up the 33/34 skylobby.
There is a bank of 6 elevators that make up the 66/67 skylobby.
There are 4 (numbered) banks of 6 elevators each
The red dots are the two express elevators that go from the basement to the skydeck and make no stops in between.
The blue dots are the service elevators.

On the 5th floor you can see that only elevator bank 1 is used. The "lobby" for the 33/34 skylobby is used as storage space (or maybe a reception/entrance area?), as are the "lobbies" of banks 3 and 4. Not sure what's going on with the SL66/67 - it looks inaccessible.

Now on to the 19th floor

The SL33/34 "lobby" is still storage (conference room?). Bank 1 has completely disappeared, replaced with bathrooms. Bank 3 is gone too, with 2 storage spaces and a walkway. Bank 4 is used to get here, and the SL66/67 "lobby" is now part of the rentable space.

41st floor

SL33/34 is gone (stopped at the 34th floor - with the 35th as the mechanical penthouse?). Bank 1 is back and in use. The lobbies of banks 3 and 4 combine for storage or something, and SL66/67 is a room of some sorts.

43rd floor

Two floors up and things change! Bank 1 is gone and replaced by a large room. Bank 3 is now used and the "lobby" for bank 2 is now storage. SL66/67's "lobby" has a new configuration too.

82nd floor

A big jump up towards the top and the building has now gone through the first two setbacks and is shaped like a cross. It's a little interesting now - of course the 66/67 skylobby is gone. But they chopped the top 2/3 of banks 1 and 3 and the bottom 1/3 of 2 and 4. This creates two new elevator banks, but only 1 is in use. The "lobby" of the second is used for bathrooms. Oh, and it looks like one of the passenger elevators has switched to a freight elevator, which is probably good since we only have 1 of the original freight elevators left.

95th floor

The remaining setbacks have occurred and the building is in its final shape. There's only 1 bank of passenger elevators left, the other is now rentable space. If it didn't go away, there'd be no east facing offices on the 95th floor. And that would be a tragedy!

The truth is that yes, 1 large elevator shaft takes up the same cubic space as several shorter ones. But you have to remember that as the Sears Tower rises, the square footage of each floor shrinks, and space becomes more important. Down on the lower floors where you have the gigantic floor plates, the space closest to the center is less desirable. Why not use it for the skylobby banks and free up extremely valuable space on the higher floors? Since you're doing that, you might as well stagger the "normal" banks and free up space for some bathrooms or storage. An added bonus is that your personal elevator experience (once you use the skylobby elevator) is that of a low-rise building since no elevator serves more than 10 floors.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:49 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Maybe this will help visualize it...

Here's a link to a diagram of the skylobby/local elevator concept in the WTC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...Arrangment.svg
The graphic on the side shows you that by using the skylobby system you can provide the same level of elevator service, but that many of the individual floors don't need the full amount of elevator banks.

Here's some stuff I just scraped together for the Sears Tower.

This is the 5th floor.

There is a bank of 8 elevators that make up the 33/34 skylobby.
There is a bank of 6 elevators that make up the 66/67 skylobby.
There are 4 (numbered) banks of 6 elevators each
The red dots are the two express elevators that go from the basement to the skydeck and make no stops in between.
The blue dots are the service elevators.

On the 5th floor you can see that only elevator bank 1 is used. The "lobby" for the 33/34 skylobby is used as storage space (or maybe a reception/entrance area?), as are the "lobbies" of banks 3 and 4. Not sure what's going on with the SL66/67 - it looks inaccessible.

Now on to the 19th floor

The SL33/34 "lobby" is still storage (conference room?). Bank 1 has completely disappeared, replaced with bathrooms. Bank 3 is gone too, with 2 storage spaces and a walkway. Bank 4 is used to get here, and the SL66/67 "lobby" is now part of the rentable space.

41st floor

SL33/34 is gone (stopped at the 34th floor - with the 35th as the mechanical penthouse?). Bank 1 is back and in use. The lobbies of banks 3 and 4 combine for storage or something, and SL66/67 is a room of some sorts.

43rd floor

Two floors up and things change! Bank 1 is gone and replaced by a large room. Bank 3 is now used and the "lobby" for bank 2 is now storage. SL66/67's "lobby" has a new configuration too.

82nd floor

A big jump up towards the top and the building has now gone through the first two setbacks and is shaped like a cross. It's a little interesting now - of course the 66/67 skylobby is gone. But they chopped the top 2/3 of banks 1 and 3 and the bottom 1/3 of 2 and 4. This creates two new elevator banks, but only 1 is in use. The "lobby" of the second is used for bathrooms. Oh, and it looks like one of the passenger elevators has switched to a freight elevator, which is probably good since we only have 1 of the original freight elevators left.

95th floor

The remaining setbacks have occurred and the building is in its final shape. There's only 1 bank of passenger elevators left, the other is now rentable space. If it didn't go away, there'd be no east facing offices on the 95th floor. And that would be a tragedy!

The truth is that yes, 1 large elevator shaft takes up the same cubic space as several shorter ones. But you have to remember that as the Sears Tower rises, the square footage of each floor shrinks, and space becomes more important. Down on the lower floors where you have the gigantic floor plates, the space closest to the center is less desirable. Why not use it for the skylobby banks and free up extremely valuable space on the higher floors? Since you're doing that, you might as well stagger the "normal" banks and free up space for some bathrooms or storage. An added bonus is that your personal elevator experience (once you use the skylobby elevator) is that of a low-rise building since no elevator serves more than 10 floors.
Could you please tell me where you found those floorplans? I tried getting more from the source webpage (your personal site I presume?) but could only get the floors for the ones you already posted. If you have a web link where you can get all the floorplans it would be greatly appreciated as I have looked long on hard on the net for something like this, in particular I am looking for a floor plan of the 103rd floor Skydeck.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independence View Post
Thank you very much, mikeelm!!!!

I'm so happy you posted this! At first I didn't understand what you were trying to say with your message. Okay I still don't...

But the Documentation is marvellous!!!! THANKS!

Does anyone know if there's a DVD related to this?

- Sears Tower Construction
- Original World Trade Center Construction

or this?
- John Hancock Center

That would be great.

Yes, they have the Sears tower on DVD. You can buy them from the stations website. Or just search in google. As far as WTC, there are other makers of that type of DVD. I think one is called "The Rise and Fall of...". It seems like most DVDs about the WTC focus a certain portion of the DVD to the towers demise....unfortunately....maybe someone kind find one that dates prev. to 9/11/01

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Could you please tell me where you found those floorplans? I tried getting more from the source webpage (your personal site I presume?) but could only get the floors for the ones you already posted. If you have a web link where you can get all the floorplans it would be greatly appreciated as I have looked long on hard on the net for something like this, in particular I am looking for a floor plan of the 103rd floor Skydeck.
The official web site has the current listings of available office space; you can get floor plans there. However, the skydeck isn't for rent, so no floor plan is available.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture