HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:56 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Talking Jergins Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
I went to the University of the Sea last Sunday, hoping to have a chance to tour the long entombed Jergins tunnel. I was too late and all the tickets were sold out.

In the LBreport.com today, there are talks to reopen the Jergins tunnel. I sincerely hope that they are not going to shelf this treasure. It would be a shame. It is the last of the old pike since they've decided to demolish the remanants of the carousel top at Ocean and Chesnut. I hope they'll preserve and open the tunnel someday. Somehow the City Council has signed away the access rights for the tunnel to the developer. That sounds dumb.
Ruby

I made it out for the University By the Sea as well. Very fun day good program. classes were educational and interesting if you were able to get some of the good ones. i had history of the Pike, Sushi Making, Tequila School, and Leadership Management course. and all the other fun things on Pine made it a great day. The tunnel tour i got to set in on was a quick walk threw with a few members of Long Beach Heritage Comity. it was great to see what history was left of the tunnel. names and dates carved into the wood work throughout the little stands the great vintage tile work all over the floors and ceilings. i didn't get to see any of the movies but a close friend of mine was able to watch an hour film, and said it was great. There was talk about allowing a member of the Long Beach Heritage Comity displaying all of his antique and priceless belongings in the tunnel, well have to wait and see beside that i don't think there was too much talk about keeping the tunnel open disregarding an annual event.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West