HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 6:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I really like the first proposal. Reminds me of Broder crossed with some the amazing hostels I stayed at in Europe. Can't really imagine a boutique hotel down there, and I don't see how a couple of offices would really help energize it. International backpackers tend to see the value even if staying in rundown crappy places - and there would probably be a significant number of people intent on exploring the city, coming and going constantly. Anyone here ever stay at the Cambie in Vancouver BC? Our Chinatown is like Beverly Hills in comparison!

That being said, R2D2 needs to move off Burnside, or nothing is going to happen down there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 8:45 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I really like the first proposal. Reminds me of Broder crossed with some the amazing hostels I stayed at in Europe.
Number one is cool, but from an investment standpoint I think option four is the best. We need more creative space to innovate and become a better tech town. I especially like how they're basically targeting new/small businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
That being said, R2D2 needs to move off Burnside, or nothing is going to happen down there.
The sooner the better. Sadly one of their proposed sites is a few blocks from me :/

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:12 PM

May 16, 2014, 10:56am PDT UPDATED: May 16, 2014, 11:03am PDT
Naito-led team will redevelop Old Town's Grove Hotel
Wendy Culverwell
Staff Reporter-
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1400271826

Quote:
A team led by a member of Portland’s storied Naito family will redevelop a residential hotel in Old Town/Chinatown.

Bob Naito of Naito Development is leading the team selected to convert the Grove Hotel, which faces West Burnside Street between Northwest Fourth and Fifth avenues, into a tourist destination.

The Portland Development Commission selected the Naito-led team, which includes Eagle Point Hotel Partners and Filament Hospitality, after soliciting proposals for the 70-room Grove. It acquired the hotel from the Portland Housing Bureau.

The development team will pay $630,000 for the property and intends to invest $7.5 million to convert the Grove into a 190-bed, 52-room “lifestyle” hotel with private bathrooms. Its plan calls for a restaurant, coffee shop, lobby and other amenities on the first floor, as well as a rooftop deck.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 9:39 PM

So Beam will do the rehab 5 years from now after this team backs out.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

That was fast. It wasn't my favorite proposal of the bunch, but... whatever. Let's just hope it happens. The sooner, the better.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:18 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
So Beam will do the rehab 5 years from now after this team backs out.
That's a good one, and probably pretty accurate.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 6:31 PM

Great news! Sorry if this is somewhere and I missed it! An empty lot filling up!

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/490846

Davis and 1st. With this and the rehab going on at 3rd and Davis things are coming around!

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:11 PM

That's awesome. It would be great to see these vacant lots along the waterfront start to fill in. Good that they're proposing ground floor retail / commercial too. It can't be the easiest location to make that work.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 9:11 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Great news! Sorry if this is somewhere and I missed it! An empty lot filling up!

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/490846

Davis and 1st. With this and the rehab going on at 3rd and Davis things are coming around!
Nice, good to see another Works PA building going up, this will make for good infill.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 2:22 AM

either i'm missing something obvious or those south and west elevation are mislabeled, right? assuming that fuzzy haze next to the proposed facades are meant to be OCOM?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:19 AM

I think you're correct - the labels are the wrong way round.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 2:52 PM

Good project. On another note, Are we almost done with the staggered windows architectural style?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:33 PM

Of course we aren't. <<SMIRK>>

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:52 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Good project. On another note, Are we almost done with the staggered windows architectural style?
Nope, that is a general trend in architecture right now. They are still designing and building buildings here in NYC with staggered windows.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 7:39 PM

The Commons?!? Do we get some complimentary crank for attending?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Ankrom Moisan Architects is excited to announce their partnership with Gerding Edlen in developing a new mixed-use building on the corner of NW 1st Avenue and NW Davis Street. Ankrom Moisan will be designing the core and shell, as well as the tenant improvements for their office space. R&H Construction has been selected as the general contractor for the project. Ankrom Moisan’s Portland office has been located in the Willamette Oaks Building on SW Macadam Avenue since 1991. Their goal is to move from their current location to the new space by December 2015.
http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/06/23...d-to-old-town/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:59 AM
A before E

Meh, the design is not great, but not bad....it basically sums up Ankrom Moisan Architects. Though it is nice to see them move out of their current location to be more a part of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:03 AM

I worked for Ankrom Moisan way back in 2007 and recall they had grand plans to move to Old Town in 2009. The recession resulted in them losing much of their staff and tightening up the budget. Glad to see they can finally make that move!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 7:08 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I worked for Ankrom Moisan way back in 2007 and recall they had grand plans to move to Old Town in 2009. The recession resulted in them losing much of their staff and tightening up the budget. Glad to see they can finally make that move!
Hmmm, I was with AMAA in '06 and '07 too. Got laid off in '08, along with about half their staff. One minute they were bursting at the seams at their Macadam building, the next minute it was eerily quiet.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:01 PM

So they overlook the river and park and that is the window treatment they come up with? So Bizarre. Maximize views should be 101. Terrible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland