HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:01 AM
Reliable Source

This is the problem I have with TADs such as the Beltline or Atlantic Station. One class (politically-connected developers and section 8 tenants) is being subsidized at the expense of everyone else.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
This is the problem I have with TADs such as the Beltline or Atlantic Station. One class (politically-connected developers and section 8 tenants) is being subsidized at the expense of everyone else.
You see why you want Section 8 housing though? If not, you would have massive neighborhoods with low income residents and violence. The goal of section 8 is to get low income people into an area where they see working people everyday. Success hopefully breeds success. This program has been very promising in many cities.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:36 AM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:43 AM

I'm not opposed to TAD's but I want to know why we can't have one in my neighborhood. We desperately need infrastructure, and if they're not diverting revenue from the school system or from any other part of the city, why would anyone object? It sounds like a win-win to me.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:52 AM
Reliable Source

Theoretically TADs can be a win-win, but the real agenda has been to get tax subsidies to connected developers. Somebody has to pick up the many years of lost tax revenues from those developments and pay for the schools and city jobs. Guess who that might be.

Wayne Mason ran the numbers and realized the Beltline wasn't going to happen tomorrow, the economy was tanking on condos, the Va-Hi NIMBYs were afoot, he wasn't going to generate cash flow from sales as quickly as anticipated, and he had the political connections to make a stink and sell his land for amazing profit. Otherwise, he was all set up to utilize the TAD subsidy. Morsberger, Jacoby and Berry are other developers with their politically-connected snouts in the TAD trough.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:00 AM

You're probably right.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:31 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
I see a top-heavy system here. Everybody expects to get more for less. They're envious of something they can't have just because they've seen it on TV or some politician has told them so. The communists had a saying in their lands, "everything is possible." Nothing is possible if individuals aren't allowed to operate and maximize their potential and be rewarded as individuals, not as a "class" or "special interest" with handouts, special privileges and jobs programs, thinking they don't have to bust their b**** to succeed. The government needs to open up the system and give everyone an equal shot. Limit corporate welfare, and long-term patents and licenses. Lower the barriers of entry to industries protected by government regulation. Clean up the tax code special provisions.
Wow what a tangent. My post wasn't about subsidies, it was about different ethnic groups having the same priorities and so there shouldn't be a conflict of interest. Seems like you have something against the government helping the least fortunate, but you know, I don't care about that.

I think the government should attack the problem of poverty in a way that fixes it. I don't think that is too radical of a position. I just think that poverty is a problem that needs to be addressed. What the hell else are we paying taxes for if the big issues are being ignored?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:47 AM
Reliable Source

Quote:
Seems like you have something against the government helping the least fortunate
I have something against the government helping those who should help themselves.

Quote:
I think the government should attack the problem of poverty in a way that fixes it.
What way would that be? We've already spent trillions in this country, apparently to no avail. How long do we continue with misguided policies?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:57 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
I have something against the government helping those who should help themselves.

What way would that be? We've already spent trillions in this country, apparently to no avail. How long do we continue with misguided policies?
The trillions we have given the oil companies, the airline industry, and the pharmaceuticals have indeed not fought poverty or helped someone in need. The near trillion dollar wars we wage have not helped fight poverty.

Hmm, lets start by raising the education portion of the budget up to pre-Bush levels and see if that helps at all. If it doesn't, I guess we can always grow a middle class back up but something tells me an extra billion in education would help a tad.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:00 AM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:01 AM
Reliable Source

Quote:
The near trillion dollar wars we wage have not helped fight poverty.
But we've spent trillions to fight poverty, apparently to no avail.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:03 AM
Reliable Source

Quote:
lets start by raising the education portion of the budget up to pre-Bush levels
Do you know what happened to the federal education budget under Bush?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:04 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Do you know what happened to the federal education budget under Bush?
Yes. I don't think I have ever given anyone the impression that I don't have my facts straight. I guess the question would be: do you?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:09 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
But we've spent trillions to fight poverty, apparently to no avail.
I was actually waiting until you dropped the "apparently" so I could have you stating your own opinion instead of leaving room to maneuver.

Oh well. I wonder which programs you are attributing to fighting poverty or if you fully understand the concept of "trillions." Our entire budget has never been a trillion dollars until this year and the only program even capable of costing on that order is the military and corporate bailouts.

Also, I wonder what you make of the decreasing level of poverty during the 20th century?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:21 AM
Reliable Source

Dante, did you know that during Bush's term the US Dept. of Education budget went from $42 billion to $67 billion?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Our entire budget has never been a trillion dollars until this year and the only program even capable of costing on that order is the military and corporate bailouts.
While it is a very large portion, Defense spending is still only 20% of the federal budget -- and pales in comparison to the 54% spent on mandatory social "entitlements" such as welfare, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Fiorenza is right about the trillions we've spent since LBJ's "War on Poverty."

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:27 AM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:54 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:57 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Bush budget cuts education
By Kavan Peterson, Stateline.org Staff Writer
Comments Write the editor Print this story Email this story
Share on Facebook Digg This! Reddit this del.icio.us

President Bush proposed shrinking federal spending on education by more $3 billion in his new budget proposal released Feb. 6, but he also wants to launch new initiatives to strengthen math and science achievement and reform America's high schools.

The largest source of federal education aid to states, the $12.7 billion Title I program for low-income students, would receive no new funding under the president's proposed budget for fiscal year 2007, which begins Oct. 1. Title I accounts for about half of federal spending to implement the 2002 federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act, which aims to close achievement gaps and get all students to read and do math at grade level by 2014.

Bush proposed a 4.6 percent increase -- about $1 billion -- for new NCLB programs, including $200 million in school improvement grants to help states meet NCLB goals. The new money also would fund initiatives aimed at boosting America's international competitiveness in math and science and extending NCLB requirements into high school.

Last week Bush announced in his State of the Union address his intentions to focus on math and science achievement by creating the "American Competitiveness Initiative." The initiative includes $250 million for elementary school programs intended to boost math achievement and $90 million to train 70,000 additional teachers for math, science and foreign language "advanced placement," or AP, courses that help high school students qualify for college credits.

"This budget request will enable us to continue to deliver results for all children under No Child Left Behind, and it tackles our vital priority to improve our global competitiveness by targeting achievement in math and science,” U.S. Education Secretary Margaret Spellings said in a telephone news conference.

The overall federal education budget would be cut by $3.1 billion, or 5.5 percent from 2006 levels. Much of the cuts would come from scrapping 42 education programs totaling $3.5 billion, including programs for the arts, state grants for vocational education, Perkins loans for low-income college students and the Even Start literacy program for poor families. However, Congress rejected cutting most of these programs when Bush requested their elimination last year. Congress cut only five of the 48 programs Bush slated for elimination in last year's budget proposal.

Bush also asked for $100 million to offer expanded tutoring and vouchers to attend private schools for students in chronically failing schools, an iniative that Congress rejected in 2001. Congress also rejected a similar proposal by Bush last year to extend NCLB testing requirements into high school last year.

“I’m frustrated to see education proposals that the Senate rejected 99-0 last year,” said former West Virginia Gov. Bob Wise (D), president of Alliance for Excellent Education, a Washington, D.C.-based research group that advocates tougher education standards.

The gap between what states are expected to achieve under NCLB and what the federal government is willing to fund would increase if Congress were to approve Bush's budget, said Jack Jennings, president of the nonpartisan Center on Education Policy (CEP) in Washington D.C., which has done extensive studies on NCLB. In a recent analysis of Title I allocations, CEP found that the growing number of school districts that are failing under NCLB has resulted in less Title I money getting to the nation's neediest school districts.

"At a time when expectations for states and school districts are at their highest under the No Child Left Behind Act, the President’s investment in education is headed in the opposite direction," Jennings contended.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:59 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Dante, did you know that during Bush's term the US Dept. of Education budget went from $42 billion to $67 billion?
You are aware that that doesn't even pretend to keep up with the rest of the budget. No you really are. I wonder now why you said that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta