HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 3:33 AM
Cool dude

Angry

These people are NUTS ... completely and totally nuts, if they don't welcome Hollywood's renaissance with open arms. The place is a potential gold mine that the city ignored for far too long.

Of course Hollywood should have lights and large billboards that rival Times Square - IT'S FRICKING HOLLYWOOD! It's the entertainment capital of the world, how about we start treating it as such? Every person that comes within 100 miles of LA wants to go to Hollywood, and still after about a decade of upgrades most people continue to be disappointed. Tell Mr. Nedulman that our work is just beginning. There are still far too many ugly parking lots, loads of theaters that need to be renovated, countless tacky single-story commercial properties that need to be replaced with mixed-use buildings no less than 4-5 stories high, local residential streets that need to be turned into cul-de-sacs, and a need for:
-class A office buildings
-small green spaces just off the boulevards
-freeway lids for the depressed parts of the Hollywood Fwy
-two to three large parking garages, a la Santa Monica (hopefully mixed into new developments)
-and an expanded rail system that connects it to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip in the west, and Mid-City, Wilshire, Crenshaw, Inglewood and the South Bay in the south.

Additionally, I think the redevelopment needs to be expanded east of Vine to Western, and south of Hollywood Blvd to Melrose.

This place is a jewel, our city's international icon, and it's time the people distorting the concept of preservation be called out. There was little left in the 90s to preserve. This is a total rehab, literally from the ground up!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 3:55 AM
Cool dude

^ ^ Wait. Is that smaller black tower next to the building a parking structure?

Could they at least make it less obvious?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 9:22 PM

http://www.myhollywoodresidence.com/...od_Variety.pdf

Groundbreaking for the W set for November, and notice how the project wraps around the metro station.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 9:40 PM

^ Thanks LASF! I can't wait for that thing to break ground

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 9:56 PM

They have a nice model of the project in the sales center located at the bottom of the Taft Building adjacent to the Hollywood/Vine Metro Station Exit.

Wow, a helipad, guess there is no stopping them.*

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 1:14 AM

That W Hotel is looking damn good!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
Groundbreaking for the W set for November

Good to see what's in that PDF file. However, I think the proj's date may been pushed forward. I seem to recall the devlpr originally predicting a start up date sometime around Sept. I'm sure legal problems with the owner of the luggage store & soaring costs of material & labor aren't exactly helping make schedules go as fast as possible.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:17 AM

KCgridlock's aerial photo of Hollywood is a great example of why parking lots have screwed up the hood for far too long. Seems like there's more land than what anyone knows what to do with it. And not enough $$ to devlp that land too.

So even though there are a ton of deadzones, the owner of that luggage store at Hollywood & Vine can't find another location to move his store to!??

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:18 AM

Great Pics Citywatch

Those pics are so high res, they don't even look real! Thanks for the pics citywatch, keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
KCgridlock's aerial photo of Hollywood is a great example of why parking lots have screwed up the hood for far too long. Seems like there's more land than what anyone knows what to do with it. And not enough $$ to devlp that land too.

So even though there are a ton of deadzones, the owner of that luggage store at Hollywood & Vine can't find another location to move his store to!??

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:32 AM

On the bright side, I guess that makes the area ripe for new development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
urbanphile

that photo does show too ground up projects that have replaced parking lots currently under construction. I'm really excited about the apartments on Vine (the dirt lot in the photo)!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 3:41 PM
Cool dude

In addition to the many parking lots there are loads of single story commercial buildings that need to meet the wrecking ball and need to be replaced with mixed-use properties.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 6:18 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA
that photo does show too ground up projects that have replaced parking lots currently under construction. I'm really excited about the apartments on Vine (the dirt lot in the photo)!
Is that the lot adjacent to Avalon (formerly the Palace)? Is there a rendering of what's going there? I'm actually glad to see that parking lot go. They used to charge $30 to park there for big events, then block your car in and take forever to let you out. Seriously, I can't wait for the day that they extend the Red Line operating hours to 2:30 am on weekends so I don't have to drive to go out in Hollywood.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1100
Thanks for the pics citywatch

KCgridlock deserves the thanks.

Just to show how humble the hood was not that long ago, the sites now showing up in his photo as occupied by the Sunset & Vine proj & the devlpt around the Cinerama Dome were mainly parking lots or small dive bldgs not too many yrs ago. And if KCgridlock had snapped his photo only a few yrs ago, it would have been at a time when nothing was planned for the old Broadway store bldg, much less the site to its east, where the Hollywood/Vine proj is supposed to begin rising later this yr.

Improving & filling in Hollywood hasn't arrived one second too soon!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 11:27 PM

They need to build more affordable highrise apts and NO more strip malls there so uglyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and just cheesy and cause alot of congestion. I think what there doing to that tower on Vine and sunset is cool. To bad its for the privileged . Anyways yeah those parking lots gotta go just build and build all highrises with mix income hehehe that would be sweet!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 11:29 PM

How does affordable housing work? I mean, someone busts their butt and goes to college and gets a great job and works their way up and gets a good salary and moves into a highly desirable area whereas someone decides to be a couch potato and skip college and land a low income job but also gets to live in a highly deisarable area (same as the guy who worked his ass off in college, etc.) but the slacker gets to pay less for the same place than the high achiever??? Just curious.... just a question!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 12:08 AM

Well, I agree that we shouldnt force devs to make affordable housing in the more expensive areas where it already cost a lot to buy the property, much less make affordable housing pencil out.

What I really dont like is forcing really nice buildings like the Alexandria Hotel to stay SRO. I mean, beggars cant be chosers.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:06 AM
Cool dude

Well then I guess the 98% of L.A. residents that can't afford to buy a home here, including me and I suspect a good portion of the LA forumers, are all dead-beats. Who knew it? Maybe we should all ask our colleges for our money back?

http://www.cbia.org/index.cfm?pageid=1292&preview=yes
http://www.cbia.org/documents/public/firstQ2006.pdf (pdf)
http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?sec...cContentID=533

Please educate yourself on this issue.

Last edited by Damien; Jul 27, 2006 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Well then I guess the 98% of L.A. residents that can't afford to buy a home here, including me and I suspect a good portion of the LA forumers, are all dead-beats. Who knew it? Maybe we should all ask our colleges for our money back?

http://www.cbia.org/index.cfm?pageid=1292&preview=yes
http://www.cbia.org/documents/public/firstQ2006.pdf (pdf)
http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?sec...cContentID=533

Please educate yourself on this issue.
98% is somewhat of a misnomer. People ussually cant afford lots of stuff they buy. But they still do, and perhaps eventually will be able to afford it (like a newlywed couple buying their first house), and overtime pay it off.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
How does affordable housing work? I mean, someone busts their butt and goes to college and gets a great job and works their way up and gets a good salary and moves into a highly desirable area whereas someone decides to be a couch potato and skip college and land a low income job but also gets to live in a highly deisarable area (same as the guy who worked his ass off in college, etc.) but the slacker gets to pay less for the same place than the high achiever??? Just curious.... just a question!

Yes and I'm sure the "couch potato" and the college boy had the exact same lives, priveleges, and oppotunities for their 18 pre-college yrs.

You make me want to vomit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West