HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 11:54 AM

I have no idea how Will Wright can sit by as his brainchild and its legacy are being so recklessly destroyed...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 11:31 PM

I'm officially heartbroken by EA.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
Information Age

Ohhhhhhhh dear.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:18 PM

I hope everyone here is signing the petition...

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

SimCity is dead. Master of Orion is Dead. X-Com is dead. Long live Civilization!

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 2:52 AM
i like stuff

i just signed the petition

digg it so maybe more people will notice it PLEASE!!!!!!!!

http://digg.com/pc_games/Simcity_Soc..._back_to_Maxis

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 3:21 PM
Ω

Maxis should never had lost ownership. Only they could keep the style of the game.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
Pessimistic Capricorn

The following smiley illustrates my reaction this morning in reading of the abomination they call SimCity Societies.

I have no problem with the developer releasing this game; but, I do have a problem with them attaching the title of SimCity to it. An obvious cash grab on EA's part.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:47 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
SimCity Societies First Impressions - Urban Renewal for a Famous Franchise

The SimCity franchise gets rebooted with SimCity Societies, a game that tosses out much of the legacy gameplay and starts over from scratch.
By Jason Ocampo, GameSpot Posted Jun 19, 2007 5:02 pm PT

Before The Sims arrived on the scene and dominated PC game sales charts, Maxis' key franchise was SimCity, the iconic city-building game. As a mayor in SimCity, you have to balance all the needs of a city. For instance, the citizens want houses and jobs; businesses need an educated workforce; industry requires workers and infrastructure; and more. However, as anyone who has played SimCity and its sequels knows, trying to incorporate all these needs into a single city is a huge challenge. Of course, meeting that challenge is the rewarding part of the game. While this formula has served the series for almost two decades, it's about to get a big overhaul.

SimCity Societies isn't like any SimCity game before it.

More than four years have passed since the last SimCity game was released, and that's an epoch in computing terms. So EA and Maxis recently announced a new SimCity game, but it's one that's completely unlike any of its predecessors. SimCity Societies will be the first SimCity game that's not developed directly by Maxis.

Instead, work on the game is being done primarily by Tilted Mill, the developer of city-building games Caesar IV and Children of the Nile. As such, Tilted Mill brings an outside perspective to SimCity, and that has translated to a fresh new angle to the series. And in many ways, SimCitySocieties feels like a reboot of sorts for the franchise.

One of the driving forces behind SimCity Societies was a sense that the SimCity games had become a bit too complex. Building a city in SimCity 4, the previous game in the franchise, required a lot of work as you tried to build and connect regional cities to form a massive metropolitan region. In fact, one intrepid fan even built a virtual copy of New York City. Though rewarding in its own way, SimCity 4 lacked the simplicity and fun of the original game, which the producers of SimCity Societies noted. Thus, SimCity Societies takes a wrecking ball to all of the complexity that has built up over the past 18 years.

Much that you know about SimCity is pretty much gone in SimCity Societies. For example, the familiar zoning system that let you designate whether land could be used for residential, commercial, or industrial purposes is no more. Now, you just put down buildings--any kind of building you want. The idea behind this is that what's important is the kind of energy the building radiates. Energy is the major new concept in SimCity Societies, and it will let you build the kind of city that you want. If you want an Orwellian society, then build a lot of government buildings to radiate obedience, as well as high rises for wealth energy and industrial buildings for, well, industry. Or if you want to build a quiet, pastoral society, then build monasteries and farms for devotional energy, as well as castles or gingerbread houses (yes, that's right) for creative energy. If you want to build a college town, then go for knowledge energy by building schools and universities. Of course, these are just a sample of the buildings in the game because there will be hundreds to pick from, with about two-thirds of them waiting to be unlocked. The appearance of your city and its environs actually change depending on the energies in the city. Orwellian cities will look very bleak, with harsh, oppressive skies overhead, while pastoral cities will look sunny and tranquil.

The look of your city will change depending on its societal energies.

Additionally, SimCity Societies will track and model the citizens in your city to a greater degree than before. In earlier SimCity games, the population was abstracted for the most part, though you could create and track individual sims to get an idea of how your city was working. It sounds like SimCity Societies will actually track and model every citizen in your city. If you played any of Tilted Mill's earlier games, then you know that was the case in those games as well. This will result in a smaller population than prior SimCity games, and you won't be building cities with tens of thousands, let alone hundreds of thousands, of people. But you will need to worry about their wants and needs. For example, if you build an industrial city full of factories and low-income housing, you'll need to keep the workers happy. You can do so by building dive bars and liquor stores, though the price of that will be a lot of drunks, as well as an uptick in crime.

SimCity Societies will also bring you a lot closer to the action. The graphics engine looks similar to the ones used in Caesar IV and Children of the Nile, so the camera is lower to the ground than earlier SimCity games. This lets you see the goings-on in your city from up close. You can also pull the camera back to take in larger swaths of terrain, though we didn't see the extreme zoom outs seen in earlier SimCity games.

There's little question that SimCity Societies represents a huge change of direction for the franchise. It seems that the focus is not so much on building a city than it is on building a society. So how those changes are accepted will be interesting to see. SimCity Societies is scheduled to ship this holiday season.
-GameSpot

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...picks;title;10

36 screenshots in the gamespot link

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:05 AM

Ugh

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:24 AM
Making hell of a noise...

Well let me get this straight...

For the procedure of the entire game, you mean to say you can't zone or build anything, but just simply keep placing buildings in the game, in order to control what, people's heart and minds? That's it?

So there you have it. After 18 years of hard work and total legacy control... So that's all? After all that hard work, is this what we loyal fans deserve to have in our entire 18 years of Simcity collection?

Good luck for anyone willing to pay 50 bucks. Since they claim its so easy to play, due to many functions taken away, I'd say it's for ages 3+ and above.

**SPIT**

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:40 AM
skeetskeetskeet

yawn....great. so now its going to suck.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:40 AM
Dare Mighty Things

This is, by far, the most depressing emotion I've ever felt as a direct result of a video game.

I was so incredibly excited for Sim City 5. Moreso than most, but this...

This is garbage.

This is what absolute dumbed down garbage looks like.

If this gets good reviews, I may literally die of shock.

Anthony

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 2:21 PM

This is total crap, Ive been so looking forward to SimCity 5, and they pull this? I was expecting more detail and better graphics and this is what they come up with? ouff talk about dropping the ball.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 7:33 PM
Make me a TACOOOOOOOOO!!!

Booooooooo "Socities"

Hooray Beer..... (I love those commercials)

I can see were Simcity 4 will probably out sell this horrible game, 5 years after its release!!!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 10:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

not looking bad guys imaging the rigs were guna need to play this game.........
but yea customization is what simcity is all about

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 12:18 AM

EA

This is disappointing, I knew they were going to dumb it down, but this is extreme..I miss the old Maxis.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 4:20 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthq View Post
from Wikipedia:

In another interview on May 22, 2004, Wright stated that Maxis is currently attempting to work out a "new direction" for SimCity after new versions had become "steadily more complex".[15] He ended his comments on SimCity with the following:

"SimCity kind of worked itself into a corner, (because) we were still appealing to this core SimCity group. It had gotten a little complicated for people who had never played SimCity. We want to take it back to its roots where somebody who had never heard of SimCity can pick it up and enjoy playing it without thinking it was really, really hard."

Electronic Arts has since revealed the development of a new SimCity in November 2006.
That's just great. So they're going to give a big "fuck you" to their most devout base of serious fans so morons with the attention span of a five year old on speed and an aversion to learning will want to play it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 4:45 AM
Future God

Just for the hell of it, this is how I signed the petition mthq posted:

I understand fully the need to turn a profit, but PLEASE don't abandon your passionate and devout fan base just so the average joe will be able to "get it". There are endless mindless MTV style entertainment options out there, but what always made Sim City so fantastic was that it was unique in that it was an accurate simulation and sought to teach and inspire creativity and imagination.

I will not pass judgement on Sim City Societies until it actually gets released and I have played it, but based souly upon the words of the developer, it sounds as though Sim City, as we know it, is dead. I have purchased literally EVERY Sim City title since the franchise began, but if this game is anything like that dumbed down crapfest "City Life" then I will have no part of it.

After eighteen years and hundreds of dollars dedicated to this series, it really makes me angry to know that I and all the other devout fans out there are basically being told to fuck off. Thanks for nothing.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 1:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Here's a video showing gameplay, and some Tilted Mill idiots blathering on about their "vision," and how the new game works. It's eerily similar to listening to movie producers talk about why, in their adaptation of a book or video game, they changed everything but the title and why they think this is just nothing short of a wonderful thing to do.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12460

It's very depressing to watch a group of people get this gleefully excited about such utter garbage. It's rather pitiful, actually.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art