HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 4:49 AM
The City

^I have doubts about Pappageorge Haymes. Some of their developments aren't bad (Block X, University Village, other townhouse developments, the new Hellenic Museum, etc) but their highrises all look bland. I hope they are capable of bringing something new and fresh to the skyline..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 5:02 AM

^true, but from the renderings that I have seen so far, I am encouraged at the prospects of a good skyscraper design. And several of their designs as you said have been okay.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 5:28 AM
Content provider

holy crap.
looks pretty good, and like I've said before, I'd put up with a lot to get that kind of height down there. That will REALLY extend the skyline. wow. Please don't be a 700-foot eyesore

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 4:28 PM

This rendering was in Fridays edition of the Chicago Sun Times. 12/10/04

One Museum Park
65 Stories
720' (feet)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 4:58 PM

Bulky.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 6:44 PM

^ yeah it is a bit. if the tower part went a bit higher, it would give some vertical thust. but then again we are only seeing one side. we don't know what the south or west elevation looks like.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 6:45 PM

i don't like it

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 6:55 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Keep in mind guys that if you're looking at the building from Grant Park looking south, you only see the north elevation of the building, and from that perspective the building looks pretty sleak. If you see the corner view with its two sides, then the building looks a little bulky. But I think, when you only one side, the structures looks pretty nice. You be the judge.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 7:00 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

There is also word that they're adding 28 more stories to the Blue Cross Blue Shield building in the near future.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 7:53 PM
Vertigo City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33
There is also word that they're adding 28 more stories to the Blue Cross Blue Shield building in the near future.
Really? they are actually considering going through with the expansion of the building? did you hear any talk when this might possibly happen?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 8:23 PM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33
I had heard/read that the building was constructed with that capability. I figured it would never happen. How cool.

In my "sky's the limit". It says the 33 story tower...will eventually reach 57 floors with phase 2 construction. So does this mean it will hit 61 floors? That's a tall office building.

It also talks about something I never knew about. THere are underground connections between it and "the subterranian world of retail shopping in the adjacent Illinois Center". I never knew about this "subterranian world". I wonder what it is like.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 8:27 PM
Content provider

giant glowing mushrooms and stuff

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 9:02 PM
Vertigo City

dont forget the giant catepillars smoking from hookahs.

yeah, its part of the confusing cluttered mass of the Loop's underground pedway, although the Illinois Center ones are much more interconnected, and generally nicer than the other segments throughout the Loop.

I think Steely posted a map of the Loop's underground pedway a while back... it was a pretty cool map.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 9:40 PM

Are they going to deck over the raillines in Grant Park and in Muesum Park and Central Station????????????

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 9:46 PM
Vertigo City

The Park District is apperently finalizing plans to deck over the tracks south of Congress Parkway. Im not sure if that will be from there to Roosevelt, or if it will go further south. Grant Park itself, however, will definatly be decked over. When i visited the sales center for Central Station a while back, the tracks that ran east of the project had segment of it that were decked over in the models, so i assume the park district and project planners will be working together to deck over the tracks all throughout the project as well. So in honesty, the tracks could be decked over from Randolph St, all the way to Soldier Field and beyond! That would be just amazing.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2004, 1:06 AM

It certainly would look AMAZING.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2004, 7:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
^ yeah it is a bit. if the tower part went a bit higher, it would give some vertical thust. but then again we are only seeing one side. we don't know what the south or west elevation looks like.
well, we didn't get to see any southern elevations at the presentation last thursday, but after seeing the ground floor plans and hearing that the building is "L"-shaped, it's fairly easy to envision what the other side looks like. the central elliptical form will poke all the way through to the backside of the tower, right at the kink of the "L", with the legs of the "L" stepping down progressively in their curved, organic forms on either side.

this building is very intriguing. there's a lot going on in this tower tht chicago has never seen before, and when i heard the architect mention "no exposed concrete" that set my excitement for this project into overdrive. i have every reason to believe that this will be a fantastic tower in a fantastic location. my only concerns really revolve around the ground level treatment, both in terms of design and functionality. i'd really, really, like to see street side retail there, but the information given at the presentation sounded pretty inconclusive about whether or not any retail at all will be a part of this tower.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2004, 7:48 PM
The City

^If all 4 buildings had ground level shops, cafes, restaurants etc facing Roosevelt, it would be quite a sight. Also, I think it would add much more vibrance to the southern end of Grant Park

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 13, 2004, 8:42 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

You're right Steeley, there was no mention of whether or not this building will have any retail space at all. However, I'm hopeful it will. I don't know if you remember, the Park District President saying that the city really wants to bring restaurants and retail to the area, and based on that, I think it would only make sence to have retail in every tower. Also, I have a friend who lives in one of the townhomes in Central Station. She's been living there for the past 2 years and she said to me this weekend, that in one of their last Association meetings, the board mentioned the creation of a very large area assigned for restaurants and retail space in the new towers, especially on the Michigan Avenue side.
This should be great news for those who live in the South Loop. One of the reasons why I moved away from there, is beacause when I lived there, there wasn't a neighborhood feeling in the area and there were not too many places to hang out, like restaurants and bars. Little did I know all these changes were coming.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2004, 9:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, i remember the talk about possible restaurants and/or sidewalk cafes along roosevelt, but the developer was being a bit vague. at one point during the question and answer session, someone asked very directly about the presence of street-level retail and the developer was very wishy-washy and non-committal saying that "we are still exploring a variety of options at the present time." - the most over-used developer phrase of all time, LOL!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive