HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Vancouver House in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The guy's Instagram reads "Licensed Commercial Drone Pilot"
Dang it. I just got my new pitchfork in mail...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:24 PM

Is that signage for the university on the side of one of the podiun buildings new?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaxlo View Post
I run a small drone business, and in order to fly downtown, there are some STRICT guidelines to follow. Firstly operators must have an 'Advanced Operations' license under Transport Canadas RPAS guidelines. Second operators must file a flight approval request with Transport Canada if you fly in class C, D, and E airspace.

The area where this person is flying is Class C, SFC to 2500 ft as well as intersects with the Vancouver General Heliport. Alongside these requirements, the operator must be in contact with ATC at ALL times during the flight. I sincerely hope they went through the legal requirements.

PS. I have my basic certification so I only cater to clients who aren't in controlled airspace (very few )
These only apply to drones over 250grams right? I got one of those DJI Mavic minis on Black Friday lol, and was planning to go nuts downtown

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:59 PM

Shot of the language school side next to Seymour. The furniture's there but will there be any students?

[IMG]VHclass by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photo

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:38 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaxlo View Post
I run a small drone business, and in order to fly downtown, there are some STRICT guidelines to follow. Firstly operators must have an 'Advanced Operations' license under Transport Canadas RPAS guidelines. Second operators must file a flight approval request with Transport Canada if you fly in class C, D, and E airspace.

The area where this person is flying is Class C, SFC to 2500 ft as well as intersects with the Vancouver General Heliport. Alongside these requirements, the operator must be in contact with ATC at ALL times during the flight. I sincerely hope they went through the legal requirements.

PS. I have my basic certification so I only cater to clients who aren't in controlled airspace (very few )
Cheers, Josh. Yeah, downtown Vancouver is basically off-limits unless you're in contact with the ATC.
Here in Seoul, it's pretty much impossible to fly a drone in central Seoul, but there are a bunch of areas just outside of the city limits that us drone-flyers have free reign.

Like, it's totally legal to fly around this district (Pungnap-dong), but a couple of blocks closer to the Lotte World Tower (Jamsil-dong), and you could see fines up to $2000CAN.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:31 AM

^That vid had me confused for a second. The thumbnail looks like somewhere in the West End almost.

Would love to visit Seoul one day. Did the free temple tour from Incheon airport on a long layover a couple of years back but that's it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^That vid had me confused for a second. The thumbnail looks like somewhere in the West End almost.

Would love to visit Seoul one day. Did the free temple tour from Incheon airport on a long layover a couple of years back but that's it.
I'd recommend visiting Seoul for a few days, and then head south to Busan and Jeju Island. Surprisingly, for such a big city, there isn't a ton to do in Seoul. It's a drinking man's (woman's) paradise though. I can't think of another city with more bars and pubs than Seoul. They drink hard out here.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
You're not seeing things. I thought I was looking at the West End too with drone footage. Should have been a disclaimer in that video.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:43 AM

^I did. It's the sentence above said video.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'd recommend visiting Seoul for a few days, and then head south to Busan and Jeju Island. Surprisingly, for such a big city, there isn't a ton to do in Seoul. It's a drinking man's (woman's) paradise though. I can't think of another city with more bars and pubs than Seoul. They drink hard out here.
Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to actually do some international travel again. Hopefully by the summer things will be mostly back to normal.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to actually do some international travel again. Hopefully by the summer things will be mostly back to normal.
You and me both. Besides a quick jaunt to Jeju Island back in October, I haven't left Seoul's orbit in almost a year. My wife and I bought tickets to go to Taiwan in a couple of weeks, so hopefully the flight won't be canceled, and the only thing we will need to worry about is two weeks of boredom during quarantine.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:22 AM

Aren't smaller drones allowed to be flown downtown? I thought if they are under a certain size they can skip the rules.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:16 AM

Explosion near Vancouver House throws chunks of concrete and pavers onto cars

Quote:
An underground explosion in front of the ritzy Vancouver House development in downtown Vancouver tore up chunks of concrete that crushed a car on Tuesday afternoon.

According to images and other information provided by Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services, the explosion occurred under the north end of the Granville Bridge and resulted in damage to several cars parked closeby — including one that had its front windshield smashed and hood seriously damaged.

At the centre of the 10 square metres of broken concrete chunks and pavers was the steel access point to a utility, suggesting an underground explosion within the utility channel.

Vancouver Fire and Rescue also reported a car fire in the area, but have not confirmed if the two are related.

Firefighters were called to the scene at around 3 p.m. and have closed the street under the bridge between Pacific and Beach.

No injuries have been reported.

The $1-million chandelier that spins under the bridge, and is on the same block as the explosion, was not damaged.

Vancouver fire crews on the scene at Granville Street and Pacific Avenue,
where there was a vehicle fire and adjacent explosion.
Photo by Vancouver Fire Rescue Services/Twitter

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:46 AM

Someone on Twitter said Hydro was in that area yesterday doing work.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:12 AM

Here's the Fire Department responding to a 10-80 and heading down Burrard st. towards Vancouver House.
They mean business, like get out of the way.
Video Link

Last edited by Zepfancouver; Jan 6, 2021 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 11:05 PM

Explosion under Granville Street Bridge caused by underground electrical fault

Quote:
A manhole cover that was mistakenly paved over led to a buildup of gases in an underground utility vault, causing an explosion under the Granville Street Bridge on Tuesday.

Vancouver Fire spokesman Jonathan Gormick said Vancouver police, B.C. Hydro, Fortis B.C. and fire investigators worked together to determine the explosion was linked to an electrical fault underground.

“The subsequent large electrical arc within a confined space resulted in the explosion, displacing concrete and damaging several vehicles,” said Gormick.

Trevor Connelly, assistant chief of operations with Vancouver Fire, said a manhole cover appeared to have been mistakenly paved over, causing a buildup of gases.

“A small electrical failure provided the spark — so it had nothing to do with Fortis or natural gas, this was a buildup of methane or sewer gas inside a B.C. Hydro electrical vault,” said Connelly.

“It was definitely a more complicated investigation than normal.”

No one was hurt in the car fire or the explosion, though traffic between Pacific and Beach avenues on Granville Street will be impacted during the cleanup and utility-vault repair.

As of Wednesday afternoon, B.C. Hydro was continuing to assess and repair its underground utility vault. City staff are awaiting the results of the B.C. Hydro inspection before beginning road work.

“Once our staff in engineering learn more from B.C. Hydro, we’ll be in a better position to develop a plan,” said Godfrey Tait, spokesperson for the city’s engineering services department. “Staff need to understand the extent of the damage before they have a plan and timeline for the sidewalk/road repair.”

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 8:28 AM

Manhole mistakenly paved over ?!!?
Wonder if that was a Westbank contractor or City workers?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Manhole mistakenly paved over ?!!?
Wonder if that was a Westbank contractor or City workers?
I didn't see any obvious ones on Google Maps. The most manholes along the street I saw were down near the chandelier and a few that were fairly close to the explosion spot but they still appear in the 2020 photos.

I think Creative Energy was running new lines down in the area so that work would have been more recent.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 2:02 PM

The latest No Frills flyer has a comic strip of an evil force adding frills to the City:

... including chandeliers

https://www.nofrills.ca/print-flyer?...05X5,%20Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:13 AM

Saw a big white sign for the university on the lowrise, when I drove by. Just words - Canada West University or something similar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver