HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:26 PM

This may be more along the lines of what you were looking for...

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:40 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
This may be more along the lines of what you were looking for...

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/
Another site which I've seen before. It's a good site for tourists. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I was more meaning a less tourist focussed site. Something that fosters local and community spirit and activities.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:19 PM
Closed account

Maybe this page is more what you are wanting.

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/servlet/pagedetail/id/42

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:14 PM
Closed account

You could do worse than the culture/dining/etc. section of this forum, especially the cuisine and music threads. And check out artshamilton.ca.

When you get here, be sure to pick up a copy of Hmagazine, also History and Heritage and Bryan Prince in Westdale have good selections of local books with architectural walking tours, if you like that sort of thing. 2nd Friday of the month is the James North Art Crawl, a not-to-be-missed local event.

There's more, but that's my two cents for now.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 5:23 AM

I have lived in Hamilton all of my 31 years and would'nt live anywhere else and I have visited alot of different places!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:01 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

I'm in the process of "thinking out loud" about my future move. I thought I'd post a few of these thoughts. I'll add to them as more occur to me, but this is my initial starting point...

I was looking at the map of Hamilton the other day and thinking what would illustrate the ideal area that I would like to live in. So I drew some potential boundaries onto the map:

North - Barton
East - Victoria
South - Charlton
West - Dundurn

This is a google map that I've editted.

This is all theoretical, as I've not checked out all of this area yet and won't until October. If people think I should consider areas outside this map, feel free to tell me why. If there are places within this map that I really shouldn't consider also please say. The map is just a guideline anyway to show you the area that I'm thinking about.

If I end up - assuming I can afford to - in a property within this area, my main thoughts were related to:

Transport - would need to find out about the costs of public transport, as I don't drive.

Shopping - where would I shop without breaking the bank, without having to commute to a huge store (unless the commute would be worth it).

Gym - I've lost 50lbs in the last few years, so I need to keep working out, so would need to find a decent gym within the area.

Entertainment - places to go out, restaurants, bars, theatre, cinema, cultural stuff, etc.

I'll think of more no doubt, suggestions welcome.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 12:02 AM

^^the northeast quadrant in the area you've selected has a lot of grittiness. I would also consider the North End. Although it might be a little far for walking downtown, it's a very quick bus ride (free trolley up and down James in the summer) and it has potential that is being realized right now. I posted photos of North End residential last week: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153731

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:03 AM

Quote:
I'm in the process of "thinking out loud" about my future move. I thought I'd post a few of these thoughts. I'll add to them as more occur to me, but this is my initial starting point...

I was looking at the map of Hamilton the other day and thinking what would illustrate the ideal area that I would like to live in. So I drew some potential boundaries onto the map:

North - Barton
East - Victoria
South - Charlton
West - Dundurn

This is a google map that I've editted.

This is all theoretical, as I've not checked out all of this area yet and won't until October. If people think I should consider areas outside this map, feel free to tell me why. If there are places within this map that I really shouldn't consider also please say. The map is just a guideline anyway to show you the area that I'm thinking about.

If I end up - assuming I can afford to - in a property within this area, my main thoughts were related to:

Transport - would need to find out about the costs of public transport, as I don't drive.

Shopping - where would I shop without breaking the bank, without having to commute to a huge store (unless the commute would be worth it).

Gym - I've lost 50lbs in the last few years, so I need to keep working out, so would need to find a decent gym within the area.

Entertainment - places to go out, restaurants, bars, theatre, cinema, cultural stuff, etc.

I'll think of more no doubt, suggestions welcome.
Transport- I would'nt have a clue what the cost of taking the HSR is these days...I drive or walk and have'nt used it in about 10 years, but I do know its much cheaper to buy a pass for the whole month.

Shopping- depends what your looking to buy? the stores in Jackson Square have some good deals, actually alot of the stores downtown have good deals!

Gym- Well... I would have to say Family Fitness! in Jackson square

Entertainment-Restaurants- Black Forest Inn 'German/Austrian' Capri 'Italian' Hunan House 'Chinese' Marks Chinese Food, just a few of my favs, all been in biz for 30 plus years!
Bars...Chesters Beers of the World 'downtown' Westown Bar 'Locke street' Walts 'Jackson Square' plus theres a few night clubs around downtown, but I'am not really into that scene much.. theres some good bands that play at PepperJacks Cafe at King William and Hughson sometimes..I could go on forever..... theres so many places..

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:10 AM

If your looking for a place I personally would stay west of Queen street...just my opinion..if theres anything specific you need to know just ask.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 8:08 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
If your looking for a place I personally would stay west of Queen street...just my opinion..if theres anything specific you need to know just ask.
All input is useful input :-)

What's wrong with east of Queen Street? There are some nice (on the inside) condos on Bay. Not quite in my price range anymore, were they still forsale, but I liked them when I looked online in the past.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 1:58 PM
Closed account

I was surprised by that comment too. There's nothing wrong with east of Queen as far as I can tell, and you've got the commercial area on James S. Groceries might be a little tricky without a car, though.

I would second the North End. It's getting very funky, and not too far from James N and the Farmer's Market.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:20 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

I had heard bad things about Barton and the North End, but the area seems ripe for rejuventation. My sibling's family have settled near Barton, a little further east of my "zone" and love it.

All input is good input though :-)

I have remembered walking past a gym on Cannon Street within my "zone", I didn't see any others during my visit. Are there many gyms in Hamilton or is it not really a common thing there or are the few that there are so big that you don't need many? London gyms tend to be quite small and pretty much everywhere.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:35 PM

The North End, north of the railroad tracks and near the Bayfront: this is the area I recommend. The area between Barton and the rail corridor and and east of Wellington north of the rail corridor is not recommended.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:53 PM

The area between barton and the rail corridor between bay and John seems perfectly fine!?

There is a bed and breakfast on MacNab, a house listed currently on MLS for $359,000 on Park and plans to convert the old school at 50 Murray West (currently Marty Karl Centre) into residentail Condos. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:58 PM

It's alright in a small section between James and Bay, but eastward is quite gritty and west of Bay is scrapyards and industry.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:59 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The North End, north of the railroad tracks and near the Bayfront: this is the area I recommend. The area between Barton and the rail corridor and and east of Wellington north of the rail corridor is not recommended.
What streets surround this area? Just so I can get it in my mind where you mean.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:01 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
The area between barton and the rail corridor between bay and John seems perfectly fine!?
So Barton, Bay, John, King? That zone?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:03 PM

Quote:
What streets surround this area? Just so I can get it in my mind where you mean.

This link to google maps shows the area:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.017467&z=16

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:13 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
This link to google maps shows the area:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.017467&z=16
When I was looking on MLS in April, I never saw anything in that area for sale, so I assumed it wasn't residential. Either that or few people sell up in that area often.

I would imagine that area isn't cheap, being near the bayfront.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that area isn't cheap, being near the bayfront.
There are still some good deals in that area if you are willing to do some work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion