HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:38 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

If you are going to make the UGB argument, you should also take a look at the fact that it has prevented jobs sprawl to a certain degree. Sure, places like Wilsonville host a large number of jobs, but employers haven't left the industrial central city districts for green fields out on the fringe.

And if you guys think that 100% of the people who are buying homes in NE Portland are young hipsters who would never consider moving to Hillsboro... you are so woefully misinformed. For one, hipsters aren't buying much of anything, besides 12-packs of PBR. Secondly, there are plenty of hipsters in the suburbs. I work out on the edge of the UGB, and I see fixed-gear bikes being ridden by American-Apparel clad smoking 20-somethings all the damn time.

In fact, many of them tell me how they'd love to move to Alberta or Killingsworth or Mississippi, but they just can't find a job there to be able to afford it.

Inner SE/NE Portland will probably be mostly dominated by established yuppies making that transition from hipster-hood in the next decade, IMO.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure