HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:13 AM

is this one guaranteed all the way through ?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
is this one guaranteed all the way through ?
Officially yes, although personally I'm still holding my breath until we get a good 40 or 50 stories up considering the terrible state of the economy.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:02 AM
BANNED

The economy overall might be poor, but this is targeted at very rich people overseas and on Wall Street. This will be a huge success.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The economy overall might be poor, but this is targeted at very rich people overseas and on Wall Street. This will be a huge success.
New York City has more than its fair share of stalled projects right now, you know better than that.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
BANNED

Certain projects stalled because they could not get financing. Also, the stalled projects were intended to be in the range of $1,500 to $2,000 per square foot which is not mega-rich by NY standards. NY and London are the only markets in the world that attract and cater to international, mega-rich people, and Carnegie 57 is the only new construction in NY at the moment to meet that pent-up demand. Barnett even stated in an article that this building is for people from all over the world who want to live in one of the world's two true "world cities" (i.e., London and NY).

Moreover, many countries in Asia, the Middle East and Latin America are booming, as is Wall Street. There will be very strong demand for this project.

In addition to Carnegie 57, I look forward to other 300m+, super high-end towers in NY (i.e., Torre Verre, 225 W57th and perhaps, 3 Columbus Circle and 440 Park Avenue).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Short answer, Barnett doesn't have full financing yet.

scgraef

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:09 AM

By econ_tim From WNY

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:09 AM

today

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 6:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

so we're getting real deal curvy glass on this one? schweeet! that might even make up for my disappointment with the ratner's value-engineered home depot windows on the gehry beekman tower downtown

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:19 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
so we're getting real deal curvy glass on this one? schweeet! that might even make up for my disappointment with the ratner's value-engineered home depot windows on the gehry beekman tower downtown
If you only count the 5% of its facade thats actually curved...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
If you only count the 5% of its facade thats actually curved...
Right, and that 5% goes a long way toward making this one of the most standout skyscrapers in the city (along with the facade), from top to bottom...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:09 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Right, and that 5% goes a long way toward making this one of the most standout skyscrapers in the city (along with the facade), from top to bottom...
Alternatively, it could be seen as just a gimmick to mask what looks to be an otherwise cheap and poorly envisioned facade.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Alternatively, it could be seen as just a gimmick to mask what looks to be an otherwise cheap and poorly envisioned facade.

In my opinion, over-inflating architecture like this, to no end at all, cheapens the real titans of this city.
I couldn't disagree with you more...to each his own I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 12:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Alternatively, it could look that way for people who want it to. Frankly, from what little we have seen, it will be one of the best facades in the city. And about those "curves", you should know that was not part of the original design.

Quote:
New York has a proud and continuing tradition of wonderful skyscrapers. In my opinion, over-inflating architecture like this, to no end at all, cheapens the real titans of this city.
New York certainly does have a tradition of wonderful skyscrapers. But in no way does that say new and different things can't be built.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Is it me, or do the columns for this building look a little thin for a supertall? It must have one helluva core.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

If only I were a millionaire, than I could buy those views

Im amazed at how much progress has happened, I didnt think it would be above ground yet.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
If only I were a millionaire, than I could buy those views

Im amazed at how much progress has happened, I didnt think it would be above ground yet.
Barnett has been pushing to get the building at least above ground, but we'll see how much progress is made in the next few months.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 9:57 AM

NY GUY, the first night time pic above , what street is that that has the really narrow, looks almost like an island for traffic but there are what seems like mid-size buildings fit into the really narrow slit of land? thanks in advance

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
NY GUY, the first night time pic above , what street is that that has the really narrow, looks almost like an island for traffic but there are what seems like mid-size buildings fit into the really narrow slit of land? thanks in advance
Take a closer look at the pic..

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
Just a reflection off the building from where the photos were taken...

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive