HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

262 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:55 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

If this thing is in fact a definite go, they'd better get busy and tweak that design.

It is utterly disrespectful of its perennially illustrious neighbor down the Avenue.

I have a feeling that the architect dummied this up without giving a second thought to its potential surroundings.

This is why it's so important to start any project like this with the understanding of urban context.

One just doesn't plop a borderline supertall in the middle of a lowrise-dominated section of cityscape...especially one with a drab blank wall on one side.

IIRC I read earlier on this thread that the Hudson-facing side of this tower will remain intentionally blank with the understanding that another tower of similar height would rise immediately adjacent to it.

"We shall see what we shall see.............."--Moe Howard

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

I imagine if SHoP Architects had designed this, we would have gotten another New York icon. I don't like the box on top.

http://www.realclearlife.com/real-es...yc-skyscraper/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 5:24 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Dare I say it, but hell.......
...Even a Kaufman/Poon collaboration would run circles around this Tin Woodsman dump.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 5:51 PM

This tower is awesome and the box is perfect. Looks like Dr. Evil's lair.

I can see the shady Russian billionaires already.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:04 AM

Demo completed.

262 Fifth Ave by NyConstructionPhoto, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:30 AM
New Yorker for life

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
09/12/2017

BUILDERS PAVEMENT PLAN FOR A TOTAL FRONTAGE OF 199' FILED IN CONJUNCTION WITH NB# 122874906.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:48 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If this keeps up, with all thats rising, 20-30th street will start to plateau like 40 to 50th. Midtown is a monster, and it's spreading West and South fast.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 10:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Demolition Complete For Supertall 262 Fifth Avenue, Midtown South

Quote:
As construction begins to make headway on new residential towers at 15 East 30th Street and 277 Fifth Avenue, just to the south, an actual supertall is in the works at 262 Fifth Avenue. Applications for the site were filed back in September of 2016, before it got a slight height boost to 1,001 feet. Now, demolition is complete on the site’s old occupant.

Boris Kuzinez of Five Points Development is the developer, and as YIMBY previously reported, he acquired the three adjacent properties spanning 260, 262, and 264 Fifth Avenue for a total of $101.8 million, and then spent another $5.8 million on air rights available on the block. The 54-story building will have 139,168 square feet of residential space divided amongst 41 condominiums, and there will also be 10,850 square feet of retail on the first two floors.

In any case, with demolition work now complete, excavation can begin. 262 Fifth Avenue’s developer has not yet announced a tentative completion date.
=================
NYY

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:53 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Meh...if they've cleared demo stage already, I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet.

TBH, I don't mind the body of the tower itself. I'm still hoping that they make the "arch" on top more like what it's being advertised to be.

Okay...so its an arch in the technical sense of the word; but come on, now....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm just happy that its a super tall and an average design. I mean, its not utter rubbish. I just think we are spoiled. Most cities would love something like this. Hell, in some cities, a 700 ft tower would be a new tallest. Lets just take it as it is, and bask in the revolution (the great tower boom of this century).

We may after all like it after it's finished. Sometimes, the renderings might not to justice, and it takes some time to adjust.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 10:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Speaking at least on my own behalf, though, I would like to see more than one north/south render; and given the release of the one we have some months ago by now, the fact that they still refuse to give us an east/west shot isn't very sporting.

EDIT: I had a chance to look at a hi-res render of the arch's interior and just noticed something cleverly subtle. Its ceiling appears to be concave rather than there being a plain open space.

The perspective angle seems to perform an optical illusion to make said ceiling look to ve above the "horizon line".

IOW, if I were to draw up a crude keyboard cutaway illustration looking due east/west, we'd prolly see something like this:

Π
⏑ <open space ceiling
l l
_
l l
_
l l

Also:
The B/W model of the tower offered in an earlier posting here shows a due N/S perspective. The arch ceiling aforementioned definitely has more to it...and I had to look several times to comfirm this. The slightly eastward offset in the render under scrutiny here would likely throw the casual viewer off. It did for me.

PPS: From what I can also see from the hi-res material, the detached core's exterior has some kind of texture to it as well.

Here's (as far as I know) the most detailed render (KIM the perceived/real "dip" previously "illustrated")...

Image courtesy of Dbox:

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 24, 2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: various addenda

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 12:35 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

One more observation then I'll STHU:

I wonder if it's possible from an engineering standpoint to design the Hudson-facing core in such a way a to permit some kind of actual fenestration in the middle. I'm thinking along the lines of how the aesthetics of a building like 9 West 57th's east-west profile can be extrapolated in a practical way to the outer core of this tower.

In short, there really should be no reason why there just has to be a sheer wall rising 1,000'+. If with 220 CPS Stern was able to solve the issue (i.e. faux windows), why can't these architects find a similar solution?

IMO if you need two elevator shafts or one shaft/one stairwell, then make two isolated cores and make a small space between open to views. It's kinda bad enough for the East River facade to be given one lousy porthole window, regardless of how each one randomizes in shape.

Sounds feasible...no?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 11:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

The design kinda looks like it draws elements of futurism. Somewhat has a sci-fi look to it. A utopian look to it in other words were very tall, blank walls are the norm.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Get ready folks, because yet another super tall will soon be u/c.

Lets recap:

1) 262 5th (soon to be)
2) 1 Vandy
3) CPT
4) 1 MW (just makes the 300m cutoff)
5) 35 Hudson
6) 111 W 57th
7) Verre
8) 9 Dekalb
9) 3 WTC
10) 3 Hudson
11) 45 Broad (starting up)

So what we have are 11 super talls pretty much u/c.

Some of you say this great, I say its not enough! We are just getting our trousers off. Just the beginning I hope!!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:35 PM
New Yorker for life

i saw that this was approved, but they didn't include a zoning diagram to give actual height. It's still a 1,000 ft tower though. The zoning diagram will give us the definitive height.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Get ready folks, because yet another super tall will soon be u/c.

Lets recap:

1) 262 5th (soon to be)
2) 1 Vandy
3) CPT
4) 1 MW (just makes the 300m cutoff)
5) 35 Hudson
6) 111 W 57th
7) Verre
8) 9 Dekalb
9) 3 WTC
10) 3 Hudson
11) 45 Broad (starting up)

So what we have are 11 super talls pretty much u/c.
It's 12, you forgot about 50 Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:10 PM

DOB approved permits which list height at 1,009 feet.

New rendering too :

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:51 PM

Full Steam Ahead for Russian-Developed and Designed Supertall at 262 Fifth Avenue

Full Steam Ahead for Russian-Developed and Designed Supertall at 262 Fifth Avenue
October 25, 2017

Quote:
As Mayor Bill de Blasio expresses his angst over Russian oligarchs buying up Big Apple real estate, swiftly moving forward is a new ultra-luxury condo tower developed and designed by Russian firms. Yesterday, the city's Department of Buildings found a proposed skyscraper being developed by Isreali-Russian billionaire Boris Kuzinez compliant with the city’s zoning laws.

More info and images in the post here.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:22 PM
Ω

The 5th Ave wall is nicer than I anticipated. I like the metal panel; I thought it would be concrete.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:23 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I do wish they would've added an elevation render so we could see any additional changes if any to the cladding.

A street view prespective that looks as if it were made less than 50 feet away from the tower doesn't give a reliable idea of what the whole thing looks like. I can't see the separate core component.

'm kinda getting a faux curtain wall vibe from this, however.

Yet it still bothers that the designers really didn't give visual context a second thought from the get-go.
If this really doesn't end well as I fear it well might, the one teakeaway from the experience should be that height is not the be all and end all criterion for skyscraper development.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Oct 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction