HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

262 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

It looms over 5th Ave in a good way I suppose. Looks like a futuristic tower. I would still prefer something different, but what are you gonna do?

Another supertall to this supertall boom.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/10/25/26...ttan-new-york/

ZONING DIAGRAMS

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 26, 2017 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:44 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The more and more I look at it, the more I like it. I can kinda see why no windows facing the ESB is a good thing. It isn't too noisy, and mildly balanced. Complements the somewhat minimal nature of the facade and brings focus to the decorative nature of the top.

It doesn't swamp you in other words with a flashy design. Its just calm ya know. At first the blank wall bothered me, but via new angles, it works. Sometimes its just a matter of waiting for more renderings. I'm sure we'll grow to love it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:04 AM
New Yorker for life

The void at the top is distracting. It's almost like a water tower, something that you don't want to see. Reminds me of a bottle opener or something, can't quite get what. Maybe if there were some sort of crowning nature to it, or maybe if it were half the height I think it would fit the tower a little better.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:40 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Wait, so the building is 999.75 feet?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:40 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm with Chris on this.

I like the color change on the "arch"/crown. It'll at least relieve the perceived monotony of the west-facing profile; and that will be the (maybe) make-or-break feature AFAIC.

The subtle texturing of the outer core skin somehow helps in mking it look like something more than an aluminum-clad monolith.

As I write this, I'm stricken by a conflict that the architecture of this tower is trying with a certain amount of success to deal with: It wants to stand out on it's own...sort of like 432 Park with a "hypermodernist" twist; but at the same time, it seeks to be respectful of its culturally iconic neighbor.

A genuine skyline render from all sides will help me figure out if I'm ultimately on point with these observations.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Oct 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: proofreading

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:08 PM

The nighttime renderings look much better than the daytime. Just what is up there on the roof under that oversized pool cabana?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:30 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

IIRC it's supposed to be an outdoor space for parties, chilling etc..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:26 PM

How will this thing not tip over???

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Engineering?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
How will this thing not tip over???
Engineering...

Same reason 432 Park doesn't tip over or the future Stienway or the Burj Khalifa. I hope your just playing around and not serious lol? I recommend reading a book on modern construction techniques and skyscraper engineering to inform yourself.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From DOB:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Wait, so the building is 999.75 feet?
Yes, 1,000 to the top of that thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
The nighttime renderings look much better than the daytime. Just what is up there on the roof under that oversized pool cabana?
Observation deck for residents.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:41 AM
West End & Riverside

I find this design refreshing, be interested to see a CAD rendering with ESB, what the relationship would look like.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:40 PM

So... have they started?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is going to happen. I think we are all eager for it to rise... so when it does start, we will inform.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:41 PM

Nothing yet :

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Nothing yet :

Thank, god.

I don’t want this thing to get built. I’d rather see a redesign.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Thank, god.

Amen to this. I don’t understand how people can have a problem with CPT and Steinway while this 1000ft mistake flies under the radar. Honestly, some of the stuff going on in NoMad rn is borderline criminal, both demolitions (Bancroft, 316 Fifth) and new construction (this thing, Madison Square Park Tower’s badly botched crown).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Thank, god.

I would also. If it gets built, so be it. But it's not what I want in that location.

On the other hand, looking at what is planned to go up nearby, it would fit in.

https://www.6sqft.com/first-look-at-...ower-in-nomad/
(3 W. 29th)

http://www.architectmagazine.com/pro...fifth-avenue_o

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 2:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NoMad’s First Planned Supertall At 262 Fifth Avenue Appears Stalled, In Midtown Manhattan

Quote:
Situated at the southwestern corner of Fifth Avenue and West 29th Street is the site of a proposed 1,009-foot condominium tower, known as 262 Fifth Avenue. Renderings were first released in late 2017, showing the very skinny and slender residential building towering over NoMad and Midtown South. Composed of a mix of glass and aluminum walls, the supertall would certainly stand out on the skyline for its height and profile. After the DOB approved plans back in October of 2017, the site was quickly cleared of the previously extant low-rise buildings, however, activity has come to a grinding halt since then. Boris Kuzinez of Five Points Development is developing the tower, while the architect is Meganom, a Russian design firm from Moscow.

After demolition, the site sat relatively quiet for much of 2018 behind the ubiquitous green construction fence surrounding the property. It stands across the street to the south of Marble Collegiate Church and the planned site of Bjarke Ingels Group’s future office tower at 3 West 29th Street, aka “29th & 5th.” YIMBY last reported on that site several weeks ago, with the first signs of progress and site preparation already underway. Looking back to 262 Fifth Avenue, it is unclear if Meganom’s vision will start to rise this year, and current lack of progress points toward a situation that may never get of the ground.

With only 139,168 square feet of residential space, the footprint of 262 Fifth Avenue would be smaller than Rafael Vinoly’s 277 Fifth Avenue. The height of Vinoly’s tower, however, would easily be surpassed if this skyscraper is completed.

262 Fifth Avenue’s most striking design aspect is the alignment of the building looking up and down the thoroughfare. If built, the tower would easily be seen from Madison Square Park, Herald Square, and the observatory of the Empire State Building, only four blocks to the north. At street level, 10,850 square feet of retail space on the first two floors are proposed to face Fifth Avenue. Up above, a mere 41 residential units are planned, measuring nearly 3,000 square feet each.

The elevator cores would be situated on the western side of the footprint and face west towards the Hudson River. The cores would run up the entire height of the skyscraper, enclosed within a skin of reflective aluminum panels.
======================
NYY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction