HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Amazing, given the sluggish local economy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM
User Registered

A couple new pics from me.

From the Western Fair:

From Warncliffe and Commissioners (super zoom)

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:45 AM

they have started to set up forms for the second towers first level no tower crane yet tho

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:21 AM

Pictures? Any balcony glass yet?

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Pictures? Any balcony glass yet?
no was just driving by and none that i saw. just beige paint being applied

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:16 PM
User Registered

I had a chat with a representative from the Old East Village BIA and he stated that the second tower is definitely now U/C.

He also said that the structural component is done for tower 1 and now they're focusing on the interior.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:21 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
...the second tower is definitely now U/C.
It sure is.

So the buildings are being painted beige, no bricks unfortunately. Also the small commercial building east of the TD Bank on Dundas (last picture) has been renovated. No more rainbow mural and crate-paper windows.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:54 PM

Nice to see tower 2 already well above ground, still no progress on the balconies yet. I am most interested to see the real glass color added in with the finished glass balconies.

Overall I think it's going to turn out pretty nice.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:23 AM

^^^ I agree, as stucco goes, this one has enough interesting architectural detail that it's not unpleasant to look at. I also like the fact that it isn't imposing on dundas; It's definitely THERE, but it's not right on top of you.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

still scratching my head why somebody would want to live at that end of town vs. downtown.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 2:28 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Great update! It's too bad that we'll be getting paint instead of brick, but anything is better than just having plain concrete. I'm also wondering when they are going to build the small commercial building on Dundas.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:55 PM
User Registered

Progress:

Via the London Free Press' Facebook page

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
still scratching my head why somebody would want to live at that end of town vs. downtown.
Number one has gotta be rent. All the apartments I looked at in Old East were significantly cheaper than downtown, but of comparable quality. The area is better served by grocery stores as well. It's much easier for a person sans car to get groceries at an affordable price with the Superstore just across the Quebec overpass. Old East has a strong art scene, tons of heritage and a rebounding commercial strip.

As far as The Crown goes, I think it's safe to say it'll turn out decently. The only two things that kinda bother me are the beige paint, and the roofline is a major disappointment.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:06 AM
bro

Smile

Revo on King then?

Also, most of the balconies facing King are finally sporting glass.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:55 PM

Considering the criticisms leveled at the Renaissance over appearance, I'm pretty surprised no one here is saying the same about this project - especially comparing what was used to sell the project vs. what got built.

I'm not calling this project ugly or anything, but it only approximates the original concept in just a handful of ways, and is the same beige concrete as the rest of them

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:53 PM

to be fair, it looks better in real life then in the second picture.... not exactly as lovely as the original rendering however..

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:57 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Wow, Awesome update bolognium!

As for what Snark's saying, I'd say that this project has been series of letdowns from the very beginning, but that it's concept, and overall design are satisfying enough that I'm still excited and I will be pleased with the finished product. First, they ended up using dark glass instead of the clear-blue glass pictured in the first rendering. This hasn't bothered me because of how the glass is used in the building. Have you seen the east face of the first tower? It's nearly a constant wall of glass, something unseen on residential buildings in the city. Next, they ended up using beige paint instead of bricks, but I'm glad that they are giving it some kind of colour other than grey. It actually hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. Finally we can now see that the roofline has changed. This is unfortunate as it added a little modern condo flair to the top, but this is after all a rental development, so I let it slide.

Also, unlike the Renaissance towers, Revo (what an unfortunate name change!) meets the street level more gently with setbacks and a podium. I haven't been by the second Renaissance tower in a long time, but its podium is all parking, and I wonder if there will be street level retail on York street. Don't get me wrong I think that the Renaissance towers are also a great development for the city, they just leave me less satisfied in terms of design.

Oh, and that new rendering is just hideous!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It ain't pretty, but it is the best looking girl in a bar full of dogs, if you catch my meaning. Beats Centretown Pawnbrokers. But yeah, the second rendering is just barf next to the original. Looks exactly like a piece of Cherryhill Village, only 40 years later without any changes. I heard that the name will be changed again, but this time to Coors Light Condos. "Come and live in the Silver Bullet!"

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:17 PM

The building looks way better than that new sign who ever did that should be fired my god. The only thing I am disappointed about is the tops the went from a nice glass to simply stopping flat. Not the end of the world as regardless this is a huge step in the right direction for that area.

Also drove by today and the second tower is now 2 stories above ground with tons of work going on.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 8:20 PM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
The building looks way better than that new sign who ever did that should be fired my god. The only thing I am disappointed about is the tops the went from a nice glass to simply stopping flat. Not the end of the world as regardless this is a huge step in the right direction for that area.
This is also how I feel. The building looks much better in person compared to the second render. Though the roof stopping abruptly is definitely a major disappointment.

I really think the windows and beige paint will go well together. While still beige, this is one of the nicer beige paints I've seen. Plus I'm still holding out hope that there's some blue glass behind that protective covering. Every day there's another window that appears more blue and reflective.

Overall I'm satisfied for the same reason I'm satisfied with The Renaissance, that it will help rejuvenate its neighbourhood. King, Hewitt, Lyle and even Dundas will be massively transformed. Disappointments in design are insignificant compared to the actual benefits.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates