HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That area is going to change a lot over the next few years. It eventually will be surrounded by mid-sized buildings, not parking, and there'll be more people around looking for places like this to spend time in.

It seems to me like a lot of public spaces in busy cities tend to succeed in spite of their design or attractiveness, unless they have some really serious flaw that makes them completely inhospitable. I don't think the spot behind the library is like that.
what are your thoughts on the design for the space in front of the library, someone123?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Oh, that was just the prototype demo.
Booo!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Here was what was proposed as the design:

In the pic it looks like they are ice skating.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'd support a skating rink there, so long as there's seating.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Nope, slipping on ice...maybe railings would help....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
what are your thoughts on the design for the space in front of the library, someone123?
I haven't formed much of an opinion of it yet since I haven't been there while it was open (not sure if it's fully open to the public now either).

One odd detail is that the light and dark pavers make it look from a distance like the front is half finished. Other than that I think it looks pretty nice, and it's definitely an improvement over what was there before. It seems like a small thing to point out, but I think the new lights and sidewalks look a lot nicer. Hopefully the whole neighbourhood will be redone like that intersection has been.

I also found that the massing of the library fits in nicely with the commercial strip and the architecture building next door. It has really transformed that whole corner. I bet the development next to St. Mary's Basilica will have a similar effect if it is built.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I haven't formed much of an opinion of it yet since I haven't been there while it was open (not sure if it's fully open to the public now either).

One odd detail is that the light and dark pavers make it look from a distance like the front is half finished. Other than that I think it looks pretty nice, and it's definitely an improvement over what was there before. It seems like a small thing to point out, but I think the new lights and sidewalks look a lot nicer. Hopefully the whole neighbourhood will be redone like that intersection has been.

I also found that the massing of the library fits in nicely with the commercial strip and the architecture building next door. It has really transformed that whole corner. I bet the development next to St. Mary's Basilica will have a similar effect if it is built.
Okay, here's a leading question: what are your thoughts on the lack of spaces for public seating / gathering / lounging in front?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
All good points, but my argument is that the big difference between this Library's plaza and all the other similar spaces elsewhere that I posted earlier, is that the Library plaza seems like a peripheral, badly executed afterthought while the others are central and focused on people. The Library Plaza, for example, is hidden in back, with too many helicopter parent hand railings, and, most importantly, cut off from the busy main street-- Spring Garden.

The others, people are put at the center of the design; they are focused on how to create active public spaces that incentivize people gathering, and staying. There is comfortable and centrally located spaces to sit, lounge, stay, gather, interact, all of which are connected to main streets, main arteries, and other sources of bustling foot traffic.

In reality, I would be fine with this dreary back lot and the weird hand railing installations, if they took full advantage of the area in front of the library, and created a great public space for people there. Instead, they haven't; it's just a bunch of curbed plants that lead to the library door. Nothing inviting. Nothing to attract crowds. It actually seems like they *don't* want people spending time around the library...
I agree with you on the challenges faced by separating it from the action of Spring Garden Rd. I think social spaces like this are more successful when paired with the energy of a busy public space (street, park, etc.).

Hopefully the front space isn't finished? Are those beds high enough to sit on? I didn't notice the last time I was close enough to see in person.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Okay, here's a leading question: what are your thoughts on the lack of spaces for public seating / gathering / lounging in front?
As long as the Raging NDP Grannies and other assorted placard wavers/chanters are kept away from the area I'll be quite happy. Let them waste their breath down at Grand Parade.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:12 PM

Here is a central library which looks somewhat familiar and note the limited amount of public space at the street. It opens at 8:30 a.m and I took a look at it in 2010.
It has a 'Greeter' at the entrance who asks if you need help.
The previous central library was torn down after just 40 years.

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/...ng280509_5.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/...ng280509_7.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/...ng280509_7.jpg

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/newcast...e-city-library

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I agree with you on the challenges faced by separating it from the action of Spring Garden Rd. I think social spaces like this are more successful when paired with the energy of a busy public space (street, park, etc.).

Hopefully the front space isn't finished? Are those beds high enough to sit on? I didn't notice the last time I was close enough to see in person.
When looking at the designs, I was really, really, hoping the beds would be high enough to sit on. But they're basically curb-high. So it's useless for people. It would be *perfect* if the garden beds/borders were high enough to sit. Just something small like that.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:34 AM
we built this city

Bigger question... why is it taking so damn long for them to finish what appear to be minor details?

When is this supposed to open?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Bigger question... why is it taking so damn long for them to finish what appear to be minor details?

Fall 2014.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

It takes time to install the carnival rides, video game theaters, panini presses, espresso machines, and massage chairs.

Plus I think they are looking to find a few books to put into the place.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:50 AM

I immediately thought of Keith when I saw this cartoon on Penguin Canada's FB page.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:57 PM

We could have given every citizen a Kindle and a subscription to Amazon's all-you-can-read service for it for less than this thing cost.

As for the cartoon, we know what they're up to - to tap into the pockets of taxpayers to build a monument to Queen Judith.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:31 PM

Every great building is a monument to somebody and this truly is a world class building. And if paper books become extinct it will be a world class building housing something else. Build it and they will come....regardless of who "they" are. No one need regret this fantastic building for any reason.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:25 AM

I took a photo today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth