HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Do you even live in Downtown/Vancouver proper? Burnaby currently has longer hours than Vancouver proper.
They should have though of that before deciding to live in the centre of the one of the biggest cities in Canada. If you want quiet, Maple Ridge and Abbotsford offers you this. Enjoy
I live in Burnaby but I do have a small place downtown for sleepovers as I work there. So personally I could't care less as to whether downtown residents will have to suffer as a result. However, my point is that it is completely retarded to zone a 2-3 block stretch for residential (with a co-op full of kids), large hotel, liquor store, a club and commercial/business. This is the situation right now in certain parts of Coal Harbor for example. And as you Zivan, I was born and raised in Europe where unlike here people can actually hold a drink without turning into complete idiots after two 3.5% "beers"...So what makes sense in Europe does not necessarily work here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
I doubt suburban youths are more likely to come downtown to drink late at a restaurant (clubs/bars have not had their hours extended) when most of the suburban municipalities already have these extended hours (Vancouver is behind in this regard).
Well its certainly not the kids living downtown that fill all those clubs and restaurants. And as for the suburbs, I count everything not on downtown peninsula and on the Drive into one.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 9:08 PM

i think people say suburbs they think surrey and its "hooligans"

but i think most come from the north shore and richmond

surrey frankly is too far away for a casual night out and skytrain is useless when you want to go out till 3 am

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 2:02 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
I live in Burnaby but I do have a small place downtown for sleepovers as I work there. So personally I could't care less as to whether downtown residents will have to suffer as a result. However, my point is that it is completely retarded to zone a 2-3 block stretch for residential (with a co-op full of kids), large hotel, liquor store, a club and commercial/business. This is the situation right now in certain parts of Coal Harbor for example. And as you Zivan, I was born and raised in Europe where unlike here people can actually hold a drink without turning into complete idiots after two 3.5% "beers"...So what makes sense in Europe does not necessarily work here.
If anybody is interested give this a read. Its kind of related and talks about what happens as downtown population starts to age.

http://www.straight.com/article-2664...-dispute-grows

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining