HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 8:33 PM
Babylon falling

Lovin the Peg. What a burg. Might have to get me a condo there for winters.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:10 AM

I love Winnie and I love Peggy. I love Winnipeg cause I dont have to choose and she lets me have both instead.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:52 AM

Dig it.

And mello, it's an interesting city in both the winter and the summer. It does kinda let you choose, as montréaliste would say. For a city comparable in size to Tulsa or Albuquerque, she sure seems to have a fair bit to offer!

Thanks again for viewing this lil' set.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:29 AM
Look at me!

Cool pictures lenin, great comments, too.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:39 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice winter pics. I am liking the museum better after viewing this.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:19 AM

It's rare for a city of Winnipeg's size to have so much character but it really does.

Unlike other Western Canadian cities that give you the impression that a fall in the price of oil or real estate would decimate them, Winnipeg has a real sense of perminence. It's got gusto and that "umph" quality that is hard to describe.

Winnipeg has everything going against it..........unbelievably cold, mosquitos in the summer when it finally arrives, is in a flood plain, topography is as flat as a pancake, and it is in the middle of no where yet it rises out of the praries like a an oasis. Just as the road seems endless and the geography boring you eventually come to the The Peg with an amazing amount of urbanity, grit, charm, culture, and history that you do not expect.

So many mid-sized cities are so increibly forgettable but Winnipeg just can't help but leave a special place in your heart.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:34 PM

Thanks for the comments! Folks often ask me why I moved out here from the west. It's nice to collide with other people who appreciate this little place as much as I do! I must agree that Winnipeg "feels" like a larger city than 800,000 people, and I think in some respects it probably punches above its weight!

Thanks again for all the comments, y'all. Word.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 PM

Hey there y'all. I had a slow work day so decided to take the afternoon off to snap some photos. I had intended to venture farther south than I actually went, but here's a couple vantage points of our skyline that are a tiny bit different than my others. I found a nice little path by the Red River, and actually wound up snapping a couple shots from the frozen centre of it.

I offer the usual disclaimer regarding my questionable photography skills. Word.

This should give an indication as to the pristine nature of my fair city in late February. You always knew I was dirty. And had a lamp post sprouting out of the top of my head:

Timing this in between green lights was tricky:

That's the time. You can look it up!

What this street needs is another brown building:

Thought I might as well shoot it before it becomes a puddle. Puddles are less interesting:

The historic wall of Fort Garry, originally constructed in 1546 to repel the Panamanians:

All right, so I may have included a similar shot before. But you like it:

Yep:

Don't be hatin' on skatin':

Yes. Vive:

Looking in an ambiguous direction:

From across the Assiniboine River:

Here's something:

Our downtown is spread out like your sister, and believe me, if I had the money I'd find a way to fill all the holes:

That's probably the most horrible thing I've ever written here. Don't judge me. I'm trying to change:

The property was surprisingly lifeless:

Portage and Main:

Yep II:

Damn, it was nice out. Tell your friends!

You didn't think you could escape without being subject to another museum shot, did you?

In five years some of these views will change, as several new high rises are being developed in the core:

If I was 120' taller my shots would be a lot cooler:

I know most people would like to see a new tallest building under construction in their city. But damn, let us have one first. This intersection is far too.... flat looking:

Enough of these shots. I promise:

Interior structural support for our largest rapid transit station:

A view of the platform. It's generally a bit busier than this, but it was the middle of a weekday. People should have been at work or in school. I wasn't because I'm awesome:

The view from the outside of the new station. Give me a break. The city has the topography of a fuckin' credit card, so I'll snap whatever shots I can find:

It's nice to have the first stage of a rapid transit system in place, but at the current length of around 3.8 km, I could damn near pole vault from station to station:

I should really plant more trees in front of my house. But aren't my chimneys delightful?

There's no sun glare in this shot. Your eyesight is failing:

A tiny sprinkling of some ambiguous western European city. I dunno. Let's pretend we're in Leeds or something:

I couldn't resist. Everyone else photographs this jazz. Why can't I?

Ain't she purdy?

A random inclusion:

The Winnipeg Art Gallery:

And there ya have it. Thanks for browsing my pics. Have an evening filled with merriment, cheer, and, if you're cool, Robocop. Word.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Hudson's Bay flagship store is to become a Target? Good god, that's almost sacrilege.

I could not agree more. What a huge step down.

I love the older architecture in the ole Peg. I used to bike in that area a lot when in lived in the ole Peg.

Great shots and commentary Lenin. I hope to see more pictures of the ole Peg from you.

Go Jets Go

PS: I love the rapid transit pole vaulting comment :-)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:17 AM

Great photos, you have a good eye and a sense of humour to match. It's nice to get a little taste of Winnipeg since I moved away last year!

As for the Bay, don't worry guys, Zellers was only in the basement. The Bay still has 3 or 4 floors of its own retail store, but the building is far too big for them to fully occupy.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:51 AM

These sights are a big (and nice) surprise. Looks like a place I'd like to visit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:32 AM

Interesting thing saying that Winnipeg has a spread out downtown, Lenin. At over 3 km (almost 4km) squared it is almost as large as Chicago's downtown area (The Chicago Loop). Yet it's population is 3/4 of a million people (including Metro area).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 6:06 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
As for the Bay, don't worry guys, Zellers was only in the basement. The Bay still has 3 or 4 floors of its own retail store, but the building is far too big for them to fully occupy.
That's a relief that they're still in part of the building. Hopefully as Winnipeg grows, Hudson's Bay will one day expand to the point where it needs the whole building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos