HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:12 PM
Aspiring.

Jack Astor's?

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
There is a rumour going around that the owners of 201 Portage Ave (TD/Canwest/Shaw Building) are trying to woo a big restaurant chain to take over the basement space currently used as their food court. Owners of the current food court kiosks are currently unable to renegotiate their leases as a result of the potential change.

The restaurant in question is a pretty big restaurant/bar chain that might be a perfect fit for the corner of Portage and Main.
That would be pretty awesome, that's a decent space with the big skylight. I wonder if they could somehow create a bit of a patio upstairs for the summer months?

The nice thing about that is that it would probably bolster the Winnipeg Square food court and maybe even encourage one or two fast food operators to open up a storefront on a sidewalk around there.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:02 PM

Went to Clementine's on Friday. If you like food and are a human being, do yourself a favour and visit. Love it.

Quote:
There is a rumour going around that the owners of 201 Portage Ave (TD/Canwest/Shaw Building) are trying to woo a big restaurant chain to take over the basement space currently used as their food court. Owners of the current food court kiosks are currently unable to renegotiate their leases as a result of the potential change.

The restaurant in question is a pretty big restaurant/bar chain that might be a perfect fit for the corner of Portage and Main.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That would be pretty awesome, that's a decent space with the big skylight. I wonder if they could somehow create a bit of a patio upstairs for the summer months?

The nice thing about that is that it would probably bolster the Winnipeg Square food court and maybe even encourage one or two fast food operators to open up a storefront on a sidewalk around there.
I would be psyched for that. Might also be beneficial for long term viability of the underground if/when the barricades at P+M get removed

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:

In terms of the food court space, not sure it would work for a single, sit-down place but perhaps someone approached them with that idea. The lack of visibility could be an issue. In terms of the patio though, 201 Portage Ave owns the full courtyard in front of the building. The setup would likely need some sort of service elevator to move food from a presumably basement kitchen to the ground level patio.

In terms of Winnipeg Square food court -- the best thing that could happen there is that it completely closed. It is the second worst food court in downtown Winnipeg and doesn't fall too far behind Portage Place. With most of the vendors there you would be better off buying your lunch from the dry goods section of the near by Shoppers.

In terms of the displaced 201 Portage food court, perhaps cut them a sweetheart lease deal if there are willing to move into one of those street level units in the attached parkade on Albert. I would guess that one of them would be interested in making to move on the right terms.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of Winnipeg Square food court -- the best thing that could happen there is that it completely closed. It is the second worst food court in downtown Winnipeg and doesn't fall too far behind Portage Place. With most of the vendors there you would be better off buying your lunch from the dry goods section of the near by Shoppers.
I agree and I've love to see it close and have a bunch of operators start looking for space in storefront units. But sadly if anything, I'd expect that WS will double down on the food court when it rejigs the SE corner of the complex to make way for the tower... that's probably the most successful part of the entire mall.

Quote:
In terms of the displaced 201 Portage food court, perhaps cut them a sweetheart lease deal if there are willing to move into one of those street level units in the attached parkade on Albert. I would guess that one of them would be interested in making to move on the right terms.
Brilliant idea. Now this, I like.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:01 PM

I could actually see something working really well there if they kind of raised the skylight to make that the main entrance/lobby and had a patio there. Holy shit it'd be cool. Something like the link below.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gte...detroit2.0.jpg

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to contact the landlords for a while now about leasing one of these spaces and have never gotten a reply. I don't get it. Except for one of them, they're empty. And I don't know how you even get into that dress shop from the inside, because the outside is blocked.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I agree and I've love to see it close and have a bunch of operators start looking for space in storefront units. But sadly if anything, I'd expect that WS will double down on the food court when it rejigs the SE corner of the complex to make way for the tower... that's probably the most successful part of the entire mall.
I wonder if Chamberlyn's closing is a part of the whole tower opening. Maybe they need that space for elevators or an expanded food court, and timing was right for owners not to renew.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I wonder if Chamberlyn's closing is a part of the whole tower opening. Maybe they need that space for elevators or an expanded food court, and timing was right for owners not to renew.
It would stand to reason that they'd need to reconfigure the layout of the floorspace around there. I'd imagine there must be some connection between Chamberlyn's and the 300 Main announcement.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
I could actually see something working really well there if they kind of raised the skylight to make that the main entrance/lobby and had a patio there. Holy shit it'd be cool. Something like the link below.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gte...detroit2.0.jpg
Oh yeah wow, that would be brilliant.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:40 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
In terms of Winnipeg Square food court -- the best thing that could happen there is that it completely closed.
Taste of Sri Lanka is the only place I go to there and would really miss it if it was gone.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to locate the elevator shafts. Maybe they are the 2 kiosks across from Shopper's. Maybe the elevators won't enter the mall or parking garage so tenants would have to walk to the main elevators in the middle of WS.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to contact the landlords for a while now about leasing one of these spaces and have never gotten a reply. I don't get it. Except for one of them, they're empty. And I don't know how you even get into that dress shop from the inside, because the outside is blocked.
It used to be that there was a door into the space opposite the elevator from what I remember.

Quote:
Taste of Sri Lanka is the only place I go to there and would really miss it if it was gone.
Go to The Forks and visit there other outlet. That basically mirrors my point though, in terms of food courts Winnipeg Square really strikes below its potential. I get that most of them are small local vendors but imagine that food court with the type of outlets you see in trucks on Broadway instead of what you have there now. I still hope that The Forks in their food hall reno is basically going to start a food truck launch pad. Basically come in an lease a turn key space for 12 months to help fund the startup of your food truck. The lease cost would be pretty low with that in mind but give the buzz of something new and exciting. The lease could then be renewed a maximum of one time for an additional 12 months. This would let the folks with ideas but without the means a chance to really get their idea started. To fill the vacancies they would hopefully have some sort of juried review of applications. Maybe even a "you have a week, run the place and generate buzz." After a month or so all the participants are reviewed based on sales, public response, etc. and the lease winners are selected.

Enough rambling about my vision. Something like that would be huge for Winnipeg Square and really address the boringness of their current food court which has gone with minimal changes for more than 20 years.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 12:22 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Go to The Forks and visit there other outlet.
It is a little too far to walk for a workday lunch.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
The Vietnamese place in there is also very qood. Long lineup at lunch. Working at MTS across the street from there, I actually don't have a problem with most of the food court vendors. At lunch time the place is always packed. Plus a new hot sandwich place just opened up in there. So I doubt that Artis has plans to close the food court, in the near term anyway.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:01 PM

Quote:
In terms of the food court space, not sure it would work for a single, sit-down place but perhaps someone approached them with that idea. The lack of visibility could be an issue. In terms of the patio though, 201 Portage Ave owns the full courtyard in front of the building. The setup would likely need some sort of service elevator to move food from a presumably basement kitchen to the ground level patio.

Re 201: Brilliant. I would love to see more street level activity there.

Re WS food court: It's a sad site, but it does well... and it will do MUCH better with 300-550+ (per suite occupancy dependant) residents now living right on top of it. Hopefully that leads to a rejuvenation process.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Re WS food court: It's a sad site, but it does well... and it will do MUCH better with 300-550+ (per suite occupancy dependant) residents now living right on top of it. Hopefully that leads to a rejuvenation process.
If WS moves to more original ideas in their food court instead of poor knock offs of massive food court chains that are unappealing on a good day it would be a huge step forward. Sadly my idea for a food court launch pad for new ideas is not the most fiscally viable as the landlord would need to pick up a fair bit of the costs with little means to recover them. The model of having MTY basically lease out the whole food court and operate every vendor is a safer bet for a landlord to generate revenue.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:55 AM

Cory, you mean the food court would be operated like James Richardson Airport were SSP Canada Food Services operates all the food outlets and shuffles chains in and out?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:07 AM

Mooyah was a sad & expensive mistake. my burger was flattened so much, it looked more like a pile of melted cheese with burger bits in it than an actual burger patty.

If they can't even make a plain cheeseburger with ketchup and mustard (my standard 1st burger at a new place), id hate to see them try to make something loaded up.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
The Vietnamese place in there is also very qood. Long lineup at lunch. Working at MTS across the street from there, I actually don't have a problem with most of the food court vendors. At lunch time the place is always packed. Plus a new hot sandwich place just opened up in there. So I doubt that Artis has plans to close the food court, in the near term anyway.
Agreed! The Vietnamese place is fantastic! Great pho and verm! The fact that it is connected to the walkways makes it a great indoor destination in the winter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan