HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:01 AM
Go Chiefs!

More bad news... can we end this off-season please.

ONLY HOCKEY PLAYER TO SURVIVE RUSSIAN PLANE CRASH DIES

Quote:
MOSCOW -- The only member of a top Russian hockey team to survive a plane crash that killed 44 people died Monday of his injuries in a Moscow hospital, a final bitter blow to all those who mourned the team's loss.

The Vishnevsky hospital said 26-year-old Alexander Galimov died of the severe burns that covered about 90 per cent of his body, despite the best efforts of doctors in its burn unit, considered one of the best in Russia.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375634

Last edited by Nicko999; Sep 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:47 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999
More bad news...
I'll be the D-bag that says it. I don't see Gailmov passing as bad news. I mean given the severity of the injuries, as well as the psychological toll it would've taken on him if he ever WAS able to recover, it was a blessing. Not just for him, but for the KHL, and for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. Now all parties involved can focus on healing and rebuilding.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:09 AM
Registered Loser

fair, i'm not sure i'd want to be the only survivor of something like that.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
People get drunk on it quickly apparently. The reasoning is they carbonate the beer somewhat so it flows easier. That's what I read. Its more realistic than some of the stupid stories about it being laced with something or having a higher alcohol content..
I've also heard that it's worse in the nosebleeds due to altitude (yeah, 100' will make such a difference), unclean lines, not enough carbonation, etc etc etc. The beer at the Saddledome has been repeatedly tested in labs and it's the same swill you get anywhere else. Molson on tap.

The reason it's got the nickname "heroin beer" is that people, especially in the nosebleeds, drink way too much, way too fast. Part of this is the "only 2 drinks allowed" and "no beer sales after x time in the 3rd" - so you get (generally) guys pounding back as many as they can, as quick as they can. And always bringing back 2 with each trip. Most of it however, is that people in the nosebleeds tend to be a bit on the, shall we say, "less cultured" side. So they act like idiots, beer or no beer. There's also a lot more pre-drinking going on with folks in the nosebleeds, so they're coming to the game fairly buzzed to begin with. A couple of heroin beers, and BAM! You're shitfaced. Lastly, most people don't realize that a cup of beer at the game is much larger than a regular beer can - nearly 500ml compared to a 355ml can. So they underestimate how much beer they've drank.

Nosebleed season ticket holder and permanent resident for 6 seasons now. It's an interesting place to learn human psychology and class dynamics. I've drank the beer many times and if anything I find it a bit weaker than "good" beer. Thankfully they now have guys going around with cans of beer (also nearly 500ml) for the same price, so you can avoid the swill if you want. Still gets people acting crazy.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:02 PM
Community Guy

^Rumour I hear is that it is pushed with nitrogen rather than carbon to get it those distances and hence the NO2 fun.

Our Rexall beers are 16oz if i am not mistaken, far from a pint... and i can tell you that 4-6 beers of this are far more than 4-6 beers, more like 6-8, maybe ten.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
People get drunk on it quickly apparently. The reasoning is they carbonate the beer somewhat so it flows easier. That's what I read. Its more realistic than some of the stupid stories about it being laced with something or having a higher alcohol content..
it's because they pipe it up from the basement of the Saddledome, so the beer ferments as it sits in the pipes.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:28 PM

Interesting Sun article ( I know, saying that just feels wrong) about Heroin beer. http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../17735026.html
Apparently the Alcohol content is right around 5% so there goes my theory about it fermenting in the pipes. I still think there is something about it, 4 or 5 heroin beers and I'm hammered, 4 or 5 pints in the same amount of time at a bar and I have a good buzz but wouldn't say I'm drunk.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:34 PM

I think the effect is due to drinking while watching your team play shitty hockey.

(this applies to NHL games at both the Saddledome and Rexall Place)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I think the effect is due to drinking while watching your team play shitty hockey.

lol, that's possible. I tend to drink more and watch less when it's a bad game.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:51 PM
Community Guy

There is hockey played at my beer stadium?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There is hockey played at my beer stadium?
lol, not for a few years now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Beer at hockey rinks is only "stronger" in the same sense that the booze at Cowboys (infamous Calgary nightclub) is stronger. Alcohol + testosterone = douchebags, it's a pretty straightforward phenomenon.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Interesting Sun article ( I know, saying that just feels wrong) about Heroin beer. http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../17735026.html
Apparently the Alcohol content is right around 5% so there goes my theory about it fermenting in the pipes. I still think there is something about it, 4 or 5 heroin beers and I'm hammered, 4 or 5 pints in the same amount of time at a bar and I have a good buzz but wouldn't say I'm drunk.
Its the carbonation, it gets you drunk faster due to the oxygen or nitrogen in the beer. afaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

ouch..haha

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
Closed account

The hockey season is getting closer and closer!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 6:56 PM
Go Chiefs!

Habs training camp started today and I think someone should tell Yemelin to keep that stuff for Boston. We don't want any injuries before the season even starts.

Bruising Russian newcomer Alexei Yemelin making presence felt

Quote:
MONTREAL — Russian newcomer Alexei Yemelin didn't take long to make himself noticed at the Montreal Canadiens' training camp.

It appeared to many to be anything but a casual scrimmage.

After hitting Schultz, the Russian sent Max Pacioretty flying with a hipcheck. The young American was in his first official appearance on the ice since being hit by Zdeno Chara in March.

Pacioretty took Yemelin's number and reacted aggressively later when Yelemin jostled with him in the crease.

Aaron Palushaj was also a victim of a crushing bodycheck doled out by the Russian, who also demonstrated impressive mobility.
http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 3:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Clearly an intent to injure. I'd call 911 if my phone wasn't out of juice.

I hope Bettman does the right thing and suspends him for life. We need to crack down on these assholes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:25 PM

That helmet by Halak is all class, great to see that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:21 PM

are we full for the yahoo fantasy hockey?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:27 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

4 more spots. I know of three forumers that will probably join, but I think they keep forgetting. We need even numbers though, so one more would be nice (or one of them could be left out).

Or if all 3 want to join, we can kick Sconadian out again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada