HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:05 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

The current amount of 'regular' seats at the MTS Centre is arguably fine. Even though the games are sold out, tickets for standard seats are not that hard to come by even though the Jets are hot. Any additional seating would be premium-type, and even then it wouldn't have to be more than 1,000 more total.

I don't see the need for a new arena emerging here anytime soon... No one is going to build a new rink for a handful of extra boxes and loges. The MTS Centre is very well sized for the way the NHL operates these days.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The current amount of 'regular' seats at the MTS Centre is arguably fine. Even though the games are sold out, tickets for standard seats are not that hard to come by even though the Jets are hot. Any additional seating would be premium-type, and even then it wouldn't have to be more than 1,000 more total.

I don't see the need for a new arena emerging here anytime soon... No one is going to build a new rink for a handful of extra boxes and loges. The MTS Centre is very well sized for the way the NHL operates these days.
Seconded.

The capacity might be a little low for when the Jets are hot, but when they don't have such a great season, it looks better to have an almost full ~15,500 seat rink as opposed to a larger one that struggles to sell out as the Ottawa Senators have proven.

Winnipeg's still the smallest market for the NHL too, let's not forget.

The arena's in a good location and the building was built for a reasonable cost. The team is profitable and sustainable.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:52 PM

What the MTSC is missing is more premium seats and club type areas. I have a feeling they will be added sooner then later by hanging from the rafters like the press box. The also have the option of opening the ends above the 300s on each and of the arena and putting in loge suites the same way they did with the organ room. Great view from up there still. I see the MTS Centre being 16000+ some day. I'm sure true north is keeping the press box type seating in the back pocket. Either than that I wouldn't expect much more from the building. True north square was built with the MTS Centre in mind. If a plan to replace it exists they wouldn't have invested 400 million into that project.

heres the press box seating at MTS. You could easily fit 2 levels of this seating. And build a club/concourse space on top above the rafters.

Hers the view

Organ room veiw.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:15 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I think that's a pretty accurate take. Hanging premium seats from the west side rafters and adding another tier of premium seats at the north and south ends of the ice would substantially increase the amount of premium seats at a trivial cost relative to building new. I think it'll be a few years before that happens, though... as it stands the building sells out, but I don't think demand is so deep that the team could all of a sudden find buyers for another 24 boxes and 500 premium seats, though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:40 PM

They would sell the "400 level" seats easily to current seat holders who want to upgrade. In turn others would upgrade to those new general seats and true north would end up with a bunch of 300 level seats to sell which is easier, I don't imagine the Jets season ticket waiting list is at 8000 anymore but I guarantee they can sell 400-500 low priced tickets. I think right now is the best time to do it lets say its gonna cost 7M to do the renovation. (press box expansion was 1 million) then you have a pretty quick return on it. lets say 400 seats at $6000=2.4M (for the jets games gate revenue alone) that's a 3 year return, Anything after that is gravy. Little easier to sell now as a playoff bound/cup contender team then the most penalized team in the league finishing 21st overall. Do it now while it has a chance to pay for itself and if it's partially vacant after 5 seasons its at the very least still a good investment with concerts and non hockey events.

I know ticket scarcity is key in Winnipeg, 18,500 would be a disaster. but I don't think just shy of 16,000 seats will hurt this market at all. The MTS Centre is missing the Club type seating that you see in more modern arenas and IMO would put it on par with most NHL rinks, Either than it being a little cramped It would have every bell and whistle that other arenas have, minus open concourses.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

First image of proposed Halifax Stadium

CTV Interview from potential ownership group:
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?cl...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

They don't seem too confident IMO. They are going for CRL the same way Katz and The flames are. The ol " Public Money that didn't exist before this proposed development will fund this proposed development" Approach. I Wouldn't get your hopes up Atlantic Canada

I think this is the new way of getting arenas and stadiums built with Public funds. Call them "Public Developments" and down play the venues financial role in that "Public Development". This may be why Ottawa Gets an Arena built on public dime and Calgary doesn't. The Sens are involved in Major "Public development" and the Flames are building an arena for the Flames. CalgaryNext was an arena and Stadium disguised as a "Public development".

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:19 AM

That looks great. I like the look of fully enclosed stadiums, cozy atmosphere.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:41 AM

Something interesting here. A poster at another site mentioned that the proposed new Halifax stadium looked like Avaya Stadium in San Jose.

HOK did the design for Avaya at 100 million and the prospective CFL owners said they had a California company do the design (Gensler in San Francisco) I guess they didn't have very far to look.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:44 AM
Look at me!

Any idea on the location of this hypothetical stadium? I'm guessing near the bridge in Dartmouth?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Any idea on the location of this hypothetical stadium? I'm guessing near the bridge in Dartmouth?
What's the first place they name in the interview, would be a likely suspect.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
1) - Shannon Park (Dartmouth near the McKay Bridge), former DND property. A favourite of most Halifax forumers, but highway access limited.
2) - Dartmouth Crossing (Dartmouth, off the 118 highway), a suburban big box development, likely near IKEA, my personal favourite.
3) - Bayers Lake (Halifax), another big box development, hideous, only a single interchange off the 102 for access.
4) - Bedford Commons (Bedford), yet another big box development, near the 101/102 interchange, fairly remote from the bulk of the metro population.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:01 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Something interesting here. A poster at another site mentioned that the proposed new Halifax stadium looked like Avaya Stadium in San Jose.

HOK did the design for Avaya at 100 million and the prospective CFL owners said they had a California company do the design (Gensler in San Francisco) I guess they didn't have very far to look.
The first thought I had when I saw that rendering is that it looks like a typical MLS stadium.

Not a bad layout though, Halifax would be lucky to have something that looks like that.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:31 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

If it turns out anything like this it will be amazing. 30k to 40k would be reasonable.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
If it turns out anything like this it will be amazing. 30k to 40k would be reasonable.
More so 20-25k.

Better to build it much smaller like Hamilton versus much too large.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:24 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
More so 20-25k.

Better to build it much smaller like Hamilton versus much too large.
The only pro franchise on the East coast if this goes ahead. This could be very popular. Plus all the concerts and events etc.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:25 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why does it look like a soccer stadium ?
Should have more sideline & less endzones seats IMO.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Why does it look like a soccer stadium ?
Should have more sideline & less endzones seats IMO.
Probably because it is a soccer stadium from somewhere else in the world. Just photoshop out a soccer field and replace it with a CFL field. Add some football fans in the stands and presto there is your halifax CFL stadium. I very much doubt it would have a lower bowl half the size of the upper bowl...that doesn't make any sense for a football stadium. And where the heck are the suites? Looks like this render was slapped together by Ken King and company.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:03 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
1) - Shannon Park (Dartmouth near the McKay Bridge), former DND property. A favourite of most Halifax forumers, but highway access limited.
2) - Dartmouth Crossing (Dartmouth, off the 118 highway), a suburban big box development, likely near IKEA, my personal favourite.
3) - Bayers Lake (Halifax), another big box development, hideous, only a single interchange off the 102 for access.
4) - Bedford Commons (Bedford), yet another big box development, near the 101/102 interchange, fairly remote from the bulk of the metro population.
Thank you

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Probably because it is a soccer stadium from somewhere else in the world. Just photoshop out a soccer field and replace it with a CFL field. Add some football fans in the stands and presto there is your halifax CFL stadium.
Good guess. One of the Halifax forumers did a search on the interweb and came up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
It's a generic render for a mixed Soccer / Football stadium.
Here's a San Diego MLS / SDSU Football Proposal

Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...321-story.html

Looks familiar, no?
I must admit that I have very low expectations for the people behind this Halifax bid. That LeBlanc fellow has some sports management/ownership experience, but that was with the Phoenix Coyotes and is therefore immediately suspect. I'm sure that they are significantly undercapitalized and badly need investors and support from all three levels of government. This will be very hard to come by. They strike me more as promoters and hucksters than a serious sports ownership group........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada