HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 6:03 AM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
It's beautiful at any season IMO, but I am biased, you're starting to know me. Everyone who visits, though, should really venture out of the walls in the faubourgs (St-So, St-Roch, SJB, Limoilou) and Vieux-Lévis. They would discover hours of interesting and not-so-polished streets to wander around...
Well it's nice that QC is beautiful all year, but unfortunately the same can't be said of Halifax. Visit May-Oct please!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Neat photo of the cenotaph in Victoria Park in downtown Moncton during a light winter snowfall.

found on Councillor Greg Turners Facebook page.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:37 AM
True North

St. John's is not my city, but I am interested to find out when, why and who started painting the houses in such vibrant colours. It seems to be quite prevalent in SJ and almost unique in the whole Canada. Anyone knows?

March 7, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Last edited by bless-u; Feb 9, 2018 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:40 PM

(my pics - Montreal)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:32 PM

february 9th

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post
St. John's is not my city, but I am interested to find out when, why and who started painting the houses in such vibrant colours. It seems to be quite prevalent in SJ and almost unique in the whole Canada. Anyone knows?

March 7, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr
Oh, honey... I know.

If you come here as a tourist, they will tell you one of two reasons. The first is that our boats were always painted vibrant colours to be visible at sea in all kinds of weather, and fishermen simply used the leftover paint on their homes. That's completely inaccurate as fishermen couldn't afford to live in the city. The other is that it's a cheerful way to brighten grey, foggy days - which may be partially true, but in the telling it's implied that it's always been this way.

In reality, almost all of rural Newfoundland was white, and almost all of St. John's - though colourful - was dark (burgundy, forest green, navy blue, etc.). The bright colours started with a beautification project about 50 years ago, and just gradually spread. People really enjoy it - it gives you that little bit of extra joy and inspiration every day, especially in winter. If you've ever had an apartment that was shabby and in a run-down neighbourhood, and the landlord let you repaint and decorate, and you went a little crazy, a little more artistic than you ever would in a suburban house you owned outright - because why not? It doesn't matter! - then you get it. Except here, the whole core of the city is that.

A couple pictures via Facebook from the 1970s to show how it used to be. Even that recently, it was still mostly dark:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:33 AM

Some photos of Riverside (Toronto) I took around late January. This is a great little neighbourhood just east of the Don River with the main commercial stretch along Queen St.

Heading west over the bridge. River City condo development

Last edited by shappy; Apr 13, 2018 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

You were in my hood!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:27 PM

[IMG]38321436306_a89d740446_o-2 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]37792130824_bc6c302255_o by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]CSC_0671-2 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]TTC 4400 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Glow of the Street by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0444 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]York University, 22 January 2018 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0144-3 by Zirocket, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:19 PM
Montérégien

Exceptional Toronto sets :-O
Montréal and St. John's, gorgeous as always...

Recently, I've been to the town of Montmagny for work. It was the first time that I actually walked around the town. Here are some pictures of one morning, earlier in February.

Montmagny has a population of around 11k and is located 80 km north-east from Québec (city), on the southern shore of the Saint-Laurent. It's usually assumed to be the capital of Côte-du-Sud, a socio-cultural region that stretches from Lévis to Rivière-du-Loup. This area was settled early in Canada's history. Montmagny was settled as soon as 1646, and the village of Pointe-à-la-Caille was officially founded in 1671. By 1755, it was one the the 5 most populated villages of Nouvelle-France, with around 1300 inhabitants in the core - more than Trois-Rivières. It's been destroyed by the English in 1759. It took over 20 years to rebuild the town, but unfortunately, it never really recovered and become the regional centre it should have been. The core is rather small, but is interesting for its narrow winding streets that date back from Nouvelle-France. The building stock is mostly from the 19th century, but the 'grid' is older. It feels a bit run down. I loved it.

A Morning in MONTMAGNY, QC

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:02 AM
Riki beach

Super, merci !

Je pense tout le temps à Pérusse quand je passe en avant de Montmagny.

''-J'ai commencé à Montmagny, j'avais juste ma guitare pis ma brosse à dents.
-Ch'comprends, je savais pas que tu jouais aussi de la brosse à dents.''

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

MONTMAGNY reminds me so much of here. The architecture expresses a different culture, but the layout is so similar.

This one though: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/...e2ced22b_b.jpg

That's identical. I could find you 1,000 corners that look like that in St. John's.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:24 AM
Riki beach

^The last picture reminds me of the Harvey Road and Long's Hill intersection looking east.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:05 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, very similar except the street on the left would continue at grade, and the one on the right would be sloping steeply downhill. We typically only do those flatiron-style intersections where there's a very steep hill. A few StreetView examples... keep in mind the difference in elevation between the two streets is greater in person than it appears in pictures. Chose a cross-section of core, suburbs, wealthy, poor, etc.

All these sorts of intersections are a little messy because when they were built we drove on the left. So today, driving on the right, there are more islands, blind turns, etc. if you're turning left.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Montmagny looks neat. All Maritimers pass by here on the way to and from central Canada, but I doubt anyone drops in. I've never gotten off the A20 there anyway. Maybe next time I will.......

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:17 AM
Riki beach

^Yes you will..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, very similar except the street on the left would continue at grade, and the one on the right would be sloping steeply downhill. We typically only do those flatiron-style intersections where there's a very steep hill. A few StreetView examples... keep in mind the difference in elevation between the two streets is greater in person than it appears in pictures. Chose a cross-section of core, suburbs, wealthy, poor, etc.
Do not worry, I rode me bike down them steep hills for two years b'y!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:47 AM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, honey... I know.

If you come here as a tourist, they will tell you one of two reasons. The first is that our boats were always painted vibrant colours to be visible at sea in all kinds of weather, and fishermen simply used the leftover paint on their homes. That's completely inaccurate as fishermen couldn't afford to live in the city. The other is that it's a cheerful way to brighten grey, foggy days - which may be partially true, but in the telling it's implied that it's always been this way.

In reality, almost all of rural Newfoundland was white, and almost all of St. John's - though colourful - was dark (burgundy, forest green, navy blue, etc.). The bright colours started with a beautification project about 50 years ago, and just gradually spread. People really enjoy it - it gives you that little bit of extra joy and inspiration every day, especially in winter. If you've ever had an apartment that was shabby and in a run-down neighbourhood, and the landlord let you repaint and decorate, and you went a little crazy, a little more artistic than you ever would in a suburban house you owned outright - because why not? It doesn't matter! - then you get it. Except here, the whole core of the city is that.
Thanks for the insight, SignalHillHiker. The beautification does transform the look and feel of the whole town. It gives the town of SJ a precious cheerfulness and a distinctive character that is almost unique in the whole Canada, if not North America. Thanks to those colourful houses, SJ has become so unforgettable. It's a very daring and effective use of colours that I've seen. Lovely.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:56 AM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Some photos of Riverside (Toronto) I took around late January. This is a great little neighbourhood just east of the Don River with the main commercial stretch along Queen St.
Speaking of Queen Street, I am exceedingly pleased to see that beautiful classical revival building is being used again by the bank. It was abandoned for a very long time. I was worrying that it might be torn down for another silly condo tower. That's my most favorite building on the entire Queen Street. I'm wondering if it is listed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:50 AM
what it is

That is wonderfully proportioned and elegant little bank.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:51 PM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
That is wonderfully proportioned and elegant little bank.
Yeah, it's a real jewel box of Queen Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada