HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:17 AM

I wanted to do one across Canada for all the major city police forces, but they are all so similar. Regal looking logos complete with crests full of unicorns and flowers and dragons along with huge wreaths and banners and crowns and shields, etc.

I was amazed that practically all of them had every element I mentioned above. While these GTA ones only borrow some elements, and on a smaller scale. They are all so unique from each other. Well York and Durham are similar.

I mean this RCMP one is actually on the lower end of opulence compared to the city crests.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yep, automatic coolness when you've got your crest on the SPLHB centrefold.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me) [Repeat: x3]
Who's down with OPP (Every last homie)
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me) [Repeat: x3]
Who's down with OPP (All the homies)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmuFlaFYdgE

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

and then there is OPPH

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:51 AM

Cool!!! Had no idea about that patch.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:48 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

How does it compare to this?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:47 PM
Moran supreme

Town of Okotoks - I quite like their official logo...

The city of Chestermere, ugh...

Town of Pincher Creek, another ugh...

Town of Carstairs, really?

It seems there's much more bad in Alberta than good - Okotoks' logo is quite the stunner and I've left some of the real bad ones out.

Town of Two Hills versus town of Three Hills - which one gets it right...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:49 PM

Lol. Not quite as prestigious, but I'm starting to appreciate the logo even more.

Patio Lanterns is one of the greatest summer/cottage songs in Canadian history.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:53 PM

Ya despite the slogan, Okotoks has a pretty decent logo. I also like saying the name.

Carstairs is very bad. It's bad because its a town's logo. If it were a logo for a skateboard company it would be okay.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:00 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Lol. Not quite as prestigious, but I'm starting to appreciate the logo even more.

Patio Lanterns is one of the greatest summer/cottage songs in Canadian history.
Kim Mitchell is the kind of stuff that for some reason sounded waaaaaay better when I was in my early 20s and going out partying three times a week, than it does today.

It's kind of like Ashton's poutine in Quebec City at 4 am after a night of clubbing. Try it sober in the middle of the day for fun.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:01 PM
Explorateur urbain

Here are some nice and some not-so-nice logos from the Laurentides (Laurentians) region in Quebec. This region is cottage and lake country for Montrealers, and known for a its ski hills, which include Mont-Tremblant, in the winter.

In the region's bigger towns, some of the logos are nice (and for once, the styles are very different):

I particularly like the Ste-Agathe-des-Monts one : it's clever, they still show a moutain and a lake, but without the green /blue / swoosh.

St-Jérôme is original, but why a lion? (Edit : I found the answer : St-Jérôme's companion was a lion)

But in the smaller towns and villages, you can tell they didn't have a big budget when it was time to create their logos :

Like elsewhere, lots of blue / green / swoosh

Last edited by begratto; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:03 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kim Mitchell is the kind of stuff that for some reason sounded waaaaaay better when I was in my early 20s and going out partying three times a week, than it does today.

It's kind of like Ashton's poutine in Quebec City at 4 am after a night of clubbing. Try it sober in the middle of the day for fun.
Lol. Kim Mitchell sounds way better with several BEvERages.

Okotoks' logo makes me ask "what ocean are they located on?" Yes, I do know they are on a river. It's just the water level seems way higher than it should be and wavy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:09 PM

I'm liking a lot of those Laurentian logos. And I don't mind a couple of those in the second set.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How does it compare to this?

Might as well go for a soda.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Okotoks' logo is too watery, given where it is. Does it suggest there are a number of things to do?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:59 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Until I started reading this thread, I hadn't realized how water-obsessed municipal logos generally are. You could have a town with some muddy little creek running through it and the logo will feature a vibrant blue streak representing water complete with a stylized sailboat sailing under the sunshine.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:02 PM
arf

^I've got an idea for Regina's new logo...

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Until I started reading this thread, I hadn't realized how water-obsessed municipal logos generally are. You could have a town with some muddy little creek running through it and the logo will feature a vibrant blue streak representing water complete with a stylized sailboat sailing under the sunshine.
Brings to mind the sad photos of river beaches some have posted on this forum...the French Riviera, these places are not, no matter how much someone tries to gussy it up. They are what they are.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Okotoks' logo makes me ask "what ocean are they located on?" Yes, I do know they are on a river. It's just the water level seems way higher than it should be and wavy.
I immediately checked Google Maps when I saw that logo. Definitely a head-scratcher. There's a small river and some pond looking things

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sounds like Chestermere's logo, another place I looked up after seeing their logo, it is on a seriously small lake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada