HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:56 PM

where is this Costco going? The largest building footprint they are showing is only 75,000sqft?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:44 PM

I've heard from about Costco moving as well as Costco buying Target. Can any of it be confirmed yet?

There's also been talk of Galway being in trouble but I guess even if the housing development side of things is slow Costco still has lots of people in that area. I can't imagine keeping a membership if they move off Stavanger. It's so much trouble to go there now and I'm only minutes away, would hate to have to drive 25 minutes to get there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:14 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I've heard from about Costco moving as well as Costco buying Target. Can any of it be confirmed yet?

There's also been talk of Galway being in trouble but I guess even if the housing development side of things is slow Costco still has lots of people in that area. I can't imagine keeping a membership if they move off Stavanger. It's so much trouble to go there now and I'm only minutes away, would hate to have to drive 25 minutes to get there.
I hadn't heard anything about Costco possibly moving until I read these most recent posts. Any substance to these rumours? Personally it'd work for me as I'm an hour out the city. I imagine people in CBS wouldn't be opposed to the move either.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
After hearing from multiple sources that Costco will be relocating from Stavanger Drive to Galway development. New store will be the largest Costco in Canada.
I have heard the same about moving (nothing about size of store) from 2 completely different sources.

Great for those of us Costco shoppers living in the West end

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 6:07 PM

Without any confirmation from the city of St. John's or from Costco, it all amounts to just hearsay right now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 5:24 PM

I've heard from a couple of sources that concrete is already being poured in Galway for the new Costco.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 7:25 PM

Again, if there is no confirmation on this, it's just rumours and hearsay.

There is nothing on the The Shoppes at Galway website stating anything new. I would imagine if Costco was confirmed for Galway, they would be promoting the hell out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I've heard from a couple of sources that concrete is already being poured in Galway for the new Costco.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 10:51 PM

I was in Costco a few months ago when I saw Danny Williams clearly in business meetings with people there, so I definitely think there will be a Costco in Galway...however I can't really see them just upping and moving the location. My theory is that there will be a second one.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 10:54 PM

I heard from a very reliable source that Costco is NOT moving out of Stavanger Drive. Newfoundland is approved for a second location (and has been for a couple of years now), which will probably be Galway (Gander was considered as a location at one point but it seems like this is off the table.) All Costco stores are typically the same size, so the concept of closing one very successful store to move to another area to build a bigger store is not their business model. They also have approval from tthe City of St. John's to expand their gas area to included additional pumps.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 3:54 AM

And what would be your very reliable source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I heard from a very reliable source that Costco is NOT moving out of Stavanger Drive. Newfoundland is approved for a second location (and has been for a couple of years now), which will probably be Galway (Gander was considered as a location at one point but it seems like this is off the table.) All Costco stores are typically the same size, so the concept of closing one very successful store to move to another area to build a bigger store is not their business model. They also have approval from tthe City of St. John's to expand their gas area to included additional pumps.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 8:58 PM

I was told in confidence. But I would expect to see a Costco in Galway and I don't think the east Enders have anything to worry about. Time will tell.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 1:00 PM

Thought I'd chime in as I have also heard that Costco will be relocating to Galway.

If true this would be a huge get for Danny and Galway as a whole and I can only imagine the offer. He must be giving them a great deal. I also think it would be a blow to Stavanger. Costco is the main driver in that area. Which is why I kind of believe the rumor...I mean from a purely strategic business point of view it would be a masterful move if you could pull it off.

I think it could also be a bit of strategic move on Costco's part. Geographically it would place them more in the center of the population distribution of the Avalon Peninsula in general. Yes it would add 15 mins on to drive for people on the east end but it would drop times equally for people in Mt Pearl, Paradise, CBS and CBN.

Anyway I'm guessing if this is true we will know sometime soon.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 4:50 PM

Dear people who are saying "sources"...

If your "sources" are random people with no legitimate ties to Costco, they're not a source, they're simply someone passing off rumors... rumors that probably began here and are now cycling throughout everyone's social
circles in St. John's.

My opinion is that it would be both stupid and surprising to relocate Stavanger Costco. That location is more than busy enough to support themselves even if a second location was open on the complete opposite side of town.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:20 PM

I agree about these "sources". Possibly the same sources that have confirmed H&M coming to town every year for the last 10 years

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:52 PM

Well I should note that I heard this rumor about Costco relocating to Galway a few months ago....well before the first post about it on here. But either way rumors spread fast so all of it could ultimately be coming from the same source.

My initial reaction was that I was surprised it wasn't a new location as opposed to relocating. But the more I thought about it the more I could see it:

1. Something like this could make or break Galway with the economy currently the way it is. So I would not be surprised about Danny trying to lure them. Hell he may have offered them the land for next to nothing just to get them in there.

2. Costco's are pretty high traffic/high volume stores. I don't think St. John's area meets the threshold for two Costco's. Halifax metro has 2 stores at 400,000+. Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa have 4/5 stores at 1.3 million+. That would put it at about minimum of 200,000 people per store. I think the bigger mtros even a higher population per store average.

3. Would place Costco more at the geographic center of population distribution of the Northern Avalon....especially if you factor in future growth.

4. Biggest problem to Costco being at Stavanger isn't really the store size...it's the relatively small parking lot and traffic congestion in that area that I would imagine is causing some loss in potential revenue...when you add the lineups for the gas pump it can be a cl*sterfuck.

Those are some of my reasons as to why I think the rumor could be true.

Of course I could be completely wrong and we could see two Costco's or nothing changed at all..

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:41 PM

Last edited by wardo44; Nov 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:26 PM

Look at comparable cities or cities larger than St. John's. Sherbrooke, Regina, Windsor, Victoria, some of which are considerably larger than St. John's, only have one Costco location. Saskatoon appears to be the exception with two locations.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:12 PM

Confirmed. They're planning on moving from Stavanager to Galway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lway-1.3874852

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:49 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Confirmed. They're planning on moving from Stavanager to Galway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lway-1.3874852
While this has more substance than anything else I've seen on this matter, it is NOT confirmation of Costco moving from Stavanger to Galway.
It IS confirmation that they are looking into it - I hate to split hairs but...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
While this has more substance than anything else I've seen on this matter, it is NOT confirmation of Costco moving from Stavanger to Galway.
It IS confirmation that they are looking into it - I hate to split hairs but...
Not a confirmation but definitely an increasing case of "where there's smoke there's fire"..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's