HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:24 AM

Colorado Rockies set to become Boise Hawks' new parent club

Quote:
The Boise Hawks will have a new parent club next season — the Colorado Rockies.

An official announcement is expected Friday. A source close to the situation confirmed the Player Development Contract agreement Thursday night. The length of the agreement was not known....The Cubs had been seeking more modern facilities than the 25-year-old Memorial Stadium had been able to provide, and Eugene plays at the University of Oregon's PK Park, which opened in 2010.

Colorado has added two other new affiliates this week — Albuquerque (Triple A) and New Britain (Double A).

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
fingers crossed for new facility AND please let the new affiliate be the Rockies! them's my boys
Your wish has come true!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:40 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Your wish has come true!
Very Happy about this. I even tweeted the Rockies this morning to apologize for the stadium. lol. And to welcome them to our fair city of course

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:56 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Great news! Boise to host 1st and 2nd round games of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament (aka March Madness) in 2018.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/1...99/1687/&ihp=1

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 2:58 AM

That's great!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:55 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Looks like plans for an international friendly between MLS vs. La Liga at Boise's Albertsons Stadium are heating up! I'm very excited for this, it'll be one of the biggest sporting/cultural events in this city's history.

http://www.basquesoccerfriendly.com/

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...-face-off.html

Quote:
OISE - Albertsons Stadium will go green for one day - July 29 - when it hosts the Basque Soccer Friendly. The match will pit a First Division team from Spain's La Liga league from the Basque region against a Northwest-based MLS squad. Currently, three teams from the Basque region play in La Liga, regarded as one of the world's best leagues, while the MLS has teams in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. A sod playing surface will be installed on top of the blue turf at Albertsons Stadium, which will then be repurposed for use on fields at Ann Morrison Park. The match also takes place during the week of Jaialdi, the large Basque cultural event held in Boise every five years.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:07 PM

That is going to be exciting. The link below you also posted states that over 40,000 Basques and other tourists will be in Boise for Jaialdi. I remember Jaialdi five years ago and there were a lot of tourists from Europe in town.

Quote:
http://www.basquesoccerfriendly.com/
The Basque Soccer Friendly 2015 will be during the week of Jaialdi, which is a large Basque cultural festival held in Boise every five years that attracts over 40,000 Basques and non-Basques from throughout the United States and Europe.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
That is going to be exciting. The link below you also posted states that over 40,000 Basques and other tourists will be in Boise for Jaialdi. I remember Jaialdi five years ago and there were a lot of tourists from Europe in town.
I'm not a huge soccer fan but this is too good of an event to pass up! My boy will love it, he loves live sports, no matter what.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 1:08 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Imagine it! A beautiful green field overlayed on Albertson's Stadium. Don't get me wrong, I love the blue, but what a novelty! A roaring crowd of 37,000 clad in red, green and white, while Athletic Bilbao and the Seattle Sounders run out onto the field. Then, the Boise Philharmonic plays the US and Spain national anthem before the game. While that happens a big Basque and a big US flag unravels out on the field. Then the game kicks off! What a way to begin the festival!

I'm just dreaming this up of course, but such a thing would be great for the growth and support of the Basque community, not to mention USL Pro team hopes.

I wonder if it would be broadcast on NBC Sports or something to that effect. Late July is usually pretty dry for sports programming anyway.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:09 PM

Basque Friendly

Nice Work Anthony, All that rendering is missing is a bunch of American and Basque flags! I'm definitely coming to town for the festival and will be taking my wife and all three kids to the match. What a great opportunity for Boise to show support for Professional soccer and a good turnout would help convince people we need to land a local team.

Anthony,
You should send your rendering to their website, I bet they would use it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 9:45 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

It's always a good time when there is a big Basque party in Boise.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:39 PM

Apparently the soccer friendly in the city is now between a Basque team and a Liga MX team instead of an MLS team.

http://www.basquesoccerfriendly.com/liga-mx-opponent/
Quote:
Basque Soccer Friendly to now feature one of Mexico’s Liga MX teams instead of a Major League Soccer (MLS) team

The Basque Soccer Friendly will feature a La Liga team from the Basque region of Spain and now a top ranked Liga MX team from Mexico for the July 29 matchup in Boise.
Major let down in my opinion. It'll be cool to have a soccer friendly here, but I would have been so much more excited if it was a regional team that was playing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 3:37 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley View Post
Apparently the soccer friendly in the city is now between a Basque team and a Liga MX team instead of an MLS team.

http://www.basquesoccerfriendly.com/liga-mx-opponent/

Major let down in my opinion. It'll be cool to have a soccer friendly here, but I would have been so much more excited if it was a regional team that was playing.
I agree. Not a slight against Liga MX because the quality of the soccer will be even better. But "Seattle/Portland vs. Athletic Bilbao" just made so much sense for a Boise-based major soccer event.

I'm still excited for it, and I'll definitely be there--I just hope the atmosphere of the game will still be energetic.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Mar 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 7:26 PM
Certified Idahoan

BSU baseball program in trouble...

This is a bummer. I had high hopes for a new baseball venue soon.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...e55840595.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Boise is a prime candidate for a professional soccer team if the community can establish a team ownership group and build a stadium with at least 5,000 seats
http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...aded-to-boise/

Oh how I hope this is the case. I truly believe that Boise would embrace a USL team. Especially if we had a nice facility where they played.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:19 PM

From an Idaho Statesman article dated 6/16.

Quote:
WHAT ABOUT A NEW STADIUM?

The new ownership group, Agon Sports and Entertainment, came in last year and pushed a downtown mixed-use development. Translation: a baseball field surrounded by a mix of hotels, conference centers, offices, retail space, restaurants or residential housing.

The ownership group built a similar $120 million project in Fort Wayne, Ind., and is building a $231 million private-public project in North Augusta, S.C., that includes a craft brewery just beyond right field.

Jeff Eiseman, president of Agon, said last year he hoped to open a new Boise stadium in 2018. But court delays in Augusta forced that project to miss its planned opening in April 2017, possibly delaying a Boise stadium.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...e84332827.html

"...possibly delaying a Boise stadium." That wording sounds like it is definitely going to happen, it is just a matter of time. In fact, it isn't even 100% delayed according to the article... I like our chances. Even at the low end of what this developer has done previously ($120 mil), that would be one hell of a ball park and economic catalyst. Hopefully it can be used as a soccer stadium as well bringing a USL team to Boise. That would be a win-win.

Here are some details re: the $120 mil park:

Quote:
...includes a 250-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel, a 5,000-square foot conference center and a 900-space parking garage, as well as residential, retail and office space on nearly 15 acres.

Last edited by boisenative; Jun 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West