HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

NEW YORK | Crossroads Central Control Tower| 310 M| 80 FLOORS (FANTASY PIECE)

Ahoy hoy and Greetings.

So... This is my very first post here, so please excuse me if I am doing this incorrectly but...

I have had a passion for buildings of the past, specifically Art Deco and turn of the century Neo Gothic buildings. For me, the cities of New York, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo of the 1930's and 40's is the height for architecture

For me personally, ever since I was a kid I had designed my own "super tower" for a mythical cooperation called "Crossroads Incorporated"
The nature and purpose of such I won't go into here, but throughout its life I have always designed large fanciful towers.

Within the past decade or so, this Tower has taken on the life of a 1930's Art Deco Tower.

About two years ago, using a simple LEGO program, I designed a crude 3D model of the tower:

This was a "rough sketch" if you will, but gives a Structural sense of the tower.. It was supposed to be Art Deco, but also fully cross Symmetrical. Which I know is a departure from true Art Deco Towers as most where either Bi-Lasteral Symmetry, or non Symmetrical at all, and usually have a step backed appearance (The Chrysler Building and 40 Wall Street being two examples)

So about a Year ago I discovered this website and GOODNESS was it a boon to my own research as it where!
I began to refine my design and make it more in line with other towers of the 1930's as well as adding ever increasing amounts of detail to it. I changed it's size quite a bit, In deference to the historical race to be tallest, While it is large in both size, mass, and square footage then the Chrysler Building, I have made sure to leave its over all height noticeably shorter. Thus preserving the Chrysler Builder's place as the second tallest (of the 30's race) next to the Empire State Building.

So after much work, and re-work. I present to you:
The Crossroads Central Control Tower

*NOTE:
Credit for the Chrysler Building image goes to Damien Koh
Credit for the Empire State Building goes to Chris Malayko
Credit also goes to Chris Malayko whom's work I shamelessly "borrowed" from to color in my own work, and hope is Kosher with doing so,

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 2:11 PM
All-American City Boy

I love it! Any city in the world would be lucky to have this building as an addition.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Dec 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Looks like the Empire State, and Chrysler had a baby, which is this tower that you designed. Would love to have it in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:19 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Looks like the Empire State, and Chrysler had a baby, which is this tower that you designed. Would love to have it in NYC.
That is rather what I ended up with isn't it?

I guess it stems from me wanting a building with the over all decor and Art Deco nature of the ESB, but a size similar to the Chrysler Building. As mentioned, I would not want to overshadow the "natural order" of the top tallest towers in NYC.

But it does raise the question... And is part of why I posted.. Is that, Is it a good hting? As in, Is the design not "too generic"? or if people saw it, would they just shrug and say "its just a mini ESB" ?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
That is rather what I ended up with isn't it?

I guess it stems from me wanting a building with the over all decor and Art Deco nature of the ESB, but a size similar to the Chrysler Building. As mentioned, I would not want to overshadow the "natural order" of the top tallest towers in NYC.

But it does raise the question... And is part of why I posted.. Is that, Is it a good hting? As in, Is the design not "too generic"? or if people saw it, would they just shrug and say "its just a mini ESB" ?
It's unique in it's own way. The base sorta reminds me of the Metropolitan Life North Building's though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:32 AM

And to show this work, it gets posted in out Urban Art forums for fantasy skyscraper illustrations.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:41 AM
don't *meddle*...

I would seriously donate some money for such a project, well to be honest for every Art Deco tower which would likely go up in New York! I just love them so much.

Great model btw!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:37 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Please get this built,if you can. This is a great design.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Figures that the next replay comes from a Spam bot...

That said I do thank everyone else for the constructive feed back.
I am actually working with a friend to flesh out much of the ornamentation as well as making a detailed cross section of some of the upper floors toward the top and how the space would be used.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
Figures that the next replay comes from a Spam bot...

That said I do thank everyone else for the constructive feed back.
I am actually working with a friend to flesh out much of the ornamentation as well as making a detailed cross section of some of the upper floors toward the top and how the space would be used.
If you are going to be an architect I want you to build this building. Maybe in Downtown Brooklyn since an Art Deco 1,000+ footer would find a perfect home there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:03 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Your vision tower will make a great alternate to the currently proposed 15 Penn Plaza.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
If you are going to be an architect I want you to build this building. Maybe in Downtown Brooklyn since an Art Deco 1,000+ footer would find a perfect home there.
That's a good idea. Brooklyn's skyline should rise too.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:25 AM

It would look great anywhere, as long as some random developer dosen't bastardize the facade. It might be easier to use Google Sketchup to draw your design. Just export a 2D JPEG image. There are only a few differences between the free version and the $500 version. Old versions of Pro can be downloaded for free directly from the google sketchup site.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
It would look great anywhere, as long as some random developer dosen't bastardize the facade. It might be easier to use Google Sketchup to draw your design. Just export a 2D JPEG image. There are only a few differences between the free version and the $500 version. Old versions of Pro can be downloaded for free directly from the google sketchup site.
Again to you and many other, thank you for the feed back, should have some new sketched up soon.

Unfortunately while I would LOVE to render this in 3d, since the "bones" and shape would be very easy to replicate... While I am quite adept at 2D work, my attempts art 3d Have been a bit of a failure Never got the hang of how to use sketch up.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:10 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Sketchup is easy, practice makes perfect. If possible try downloading the old version, and slowly work your way up. The old versions are best for new learners. Then when you get the hang of that you could download the newer version. I for one got too comfortable with the older versions, and everytime I opened it a nagging sign kept popping up saying there's a newer version available.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:09 AM
Architect Curmudgeon

Wanted to post a slight update, have been working on a far more advanced and detailed rending of the tower and wanted to show at least some of what I'm working on:

Primary detail is of the final 8 floors and then the very top crown floors.
The 81st floor, the level just under the "crown" would have been the entrance to the observation deck, however much of it's interior would have been used primarily for elevator equipment, and other equipment.

Floors 80 and 79 would have been a mix of a true observation floor as wel las a sky high restaurant similar to "Windows on the world" long before that was founded.

On two of the four sides of the upper tower is of course the Crossroads Inc Logo as a massive clock face. Initially it was proposed to have the clock face on all four of the sides of the upper levels. However it was dropped to just two opposite sides as it obstructed quite a bit of view for tenets on floors 78 through 73.

The symbol itself, an Eight pointed Gear with "CR" on it, is a recurring theme throughout the building. Gears of all sorts are used as decoration and in scroll work, dais on floors, ceilings, etc. The gear as a symbol of industry has been the logo for Crossroads since it's founding.

Just bellow the upper area, on floors 72 and 71. You can see the more large windows like those designed for the observation floor. These were initially built as a private residence for the CEO of Crossroads Inc. Although it has been vacant for some time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture