HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:05 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Infinity's core looks cute. And wow, amazing area. So many tall towers, such little space. This is what I imagined cities when I was little, full of super tall buildings in every block.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 10:56 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Some more towers that Imre took pictures of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
09/January/2009

The Pentominium

Quote:
09/January/2009

23 Marina

glass arrived

Quote:
09/January/2009

Marina 101

Quote:
09/January/2009

Ocean Heights

Quote:
09/January/2009

Elite Residences

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

From Ansell on flickr.com

And another nice picture, not of the tallest block but another area in the marina

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 12:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow! That last picture is amazing! That part of Dubai looks awesome! Makes me sad I can't afford one of those condo's...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 12:21 AM

I love that last pic. It really looks like all those dozens of renderings of the massive high density projects dubai is undertaking. It's nice to finally see one almost finished

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
So many tall towers, such little space. This is what I imagined cities when I was little, full of super tall buildings in every block.
Totally.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:47 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Nice picture of ocean heights. This will look great when it's done.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:06 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Infinity Tower on track

Infinity Tower, the winner of several world-class awards, is on the path to becoming a new landmark for Dubai; a project that will come to be viewed as the epitome of 21st century architecture, due to its unique spiral twisting shape.

Located in the Dubai Marina development, Infinity Tower is a 73 - storey residential tower with a dynamic twisting shape and waterfront views. It is the first structure of its kind and will be more than 300 metres high and the dominant feature on Dubai Marina's landscape. It will also be the world's tallest tower to feature a 90-degree twist.

This project was designed principally by M/s SOM (Skidmore, Owings and Merill) and the detailed design was developed by M/s Khatib & Alami who is also engaged for the project construction supervision works.

M/s Currie and Brown is the Client's Representative and Cost Manager. 'We are pleased to be involved with this unique and prestigious project and we are particularly impressed with the proactive way that Arabtec have addressed the unusually complex construction isssues,' Mr. Brian Quigley, Middle East Director of Currie & Brown, stated.

Arabtec Construction as a main contractor has engaged around 1,000 workforce round the clock with high safety standards and quality measures and high caliber resources to the full satisfaction of the concerned parties.

The structural system for the tower is high strength concrete core with a reinforced concrete column superstructure that rotates with the twisting shape. In addition, each floor will accommodate a 1.08-degree twist to achieve the full 90-degree spiral.

Mr. William Baker who is SOM's Partner and Lead Structural Engineer on the Burj Dubai is also in charge of the structural design of the Infinity Tower project has concluded a technical visit to the project last week.

'I noted that Arabtec Construction, L.L.C. had spent a great deal of effort studying the issues involved in building such a sophisticated structure. Arabtec is clearly dedicated to achieving high quality in the construction of this important structure,'

Mr. Baker of M/s SOM stated.

The tower will be clad in metal panels with staggered glass and screens to maximize the penetration of daylight to the apartments, creating something that will shimmer in the bright sunlight in a mixture of different reflective materials.

Six high speed lifts shall be installed with a speed of 8.0 metres per second to accommodate the use by the residents of this 307-metre high rise tower.

As of January 2009, the project construction which was started on 15th of June, 2008 is ahead of schedule and the central core wall reached Level 10 and the 6 Basement Floors, Ground Floor and Mezzanine Floor have been completed. The first podium slab is due to be concreted within a few days.

The special aluminum light weight formwork system specifically designed for this project will be used for the typical floors.

http://www.ameinfo.com/182500.html

Also a nice night picture:

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:07 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Also:

Princess Tower reaches 50th floor

The 107-storey Princess Tower,
a luxury residential tower developed by Tameer and located at the heart of the prestigious Dubai Marina, has now reached its 50th floor.

Princess Tower is located in an area that is surrounded by numerous Dubai landmarks, including the Palm Jumeirah, Burj Al-Arab, Madinat Jumeirah and the islands of The World.

Tameer CEO, Ghassan Sakhnini, said that the Company will deliver all of its ongoing projects: 'Our commitment to fulfilling our promises is the foundation upon which our success is built. Therefore, we consider it vitally important to uphold that record and to provide our clients and investors with the service they expect from us.'

Mr Sakhnini also emphasized the high grade of partners that Tameer chose to work with on the project, working with some of the UAE's premier architectural engineering firms with proven track records of working on hundreds of projects throughout the Middle East.

The 414-metre high Princess Tower will be one of the tallest all-residential buildings in the world once it is completed, and will offer a large selection of luxury two-, three- and four-bedrooms residential apartments, duplex villas and high-end penthouses. Boasting numerous floor plans with comfortable designs and lush finishes, the Princess Tower will be one of the most coveted residences in the city, with a design combining opulence and tradition, all the way up to its enormous 1200 square-foot Princess Villa on the 95th floor.

Amenities include offices, swimming pools, a gymnasium, a children's day care nursery, a sauna club, a prayer area and a private car parking area for residents, in addition to a luxurious reception area. The Emirates Golf Club, the American University of Dubai, and Jebel Ali are also within easy reach from the Princess Tower.

http://www.ameinfo.com/182487.html

Some pictures from Imre:

22/January/2009

Princess Tower

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:08 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

23 Marina back on track

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:46 PM

Nice updates. . . thanks. . .

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:59 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah! I love Infinity and I think it is one of the best skyscrapers going up at the time. And even though people say, "oh, twisting towers are overdone," I still think this tower is amazing! Such a great location too... we'll get some nice updates of this tower and it will looks so sexy in front of those supertalls...

23 Marina is cool too... just not as cool as Infinity. Good for them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 1:29 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

23 Marina and Ocean Heights from yesterday:

Marina 101 and Elite Residence also from yesterday:

Infinity Tower

Ocean Heights, Marina 101, Elite Residence and Sulafa Tower (not supertall)

Mag 218 and Marina Pinnacle (not supertalls)

The Pentominium

Ocean Heights again

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 1:01 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Nice angle for Infinity Tower

The Torch

Nice elevated angle. Since nothing will be built on that big plot anytime soon why don't they turn it into a temporary park or something?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 10:16 PM

Re: Infinity pic 3rd photo above
Is there a contradiction between the labels for floor levels on the core & those on the formwork for the actual floors?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Nice elevated angle. Since nothing will be built on that big plot anytime soon why don't they turn it into a temporary park or something?

...or a permanent park. I'm just starting to think about the apparent lack of green spaces in Dubai based on what I'm seeing in these threads. Of course, I know that they aren't exactly chronicling ground-level developments (), but still.....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 9:10 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yes! A park would look amazing in that part of the Marina. Don't block the views! Make park with a community center, a pool or two, a tennis center, something besides condo's and shops...

And make it REALLY tropical because it would make the towers look amazing from the marina! Imagine looking up and seeing dozens of palms all over and above them giant towers. It would look amazing!

Can't wait till more of the area is developed. Infinity is my favorite skyscraper of the Marina imo.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:35 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Actually I wouldn't mind a smaller development going there, something along the lines of the phase one dubai marina project.
There's a large chunk of land that Nakheel reclaimed and are not doing anything with it anymore since they will probably go bust soon. This is the location below. Something like navy pier would be great there.

Nakheel were supposed to build the polo hotel here:

Anyway here are some random pictures of the marina:

JBR Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMac View Post

The marina at night from LUK!Around on flickr:

And finally back on topic a picture of the tallest block from the palm showing ocean heights, 23 marina and princess tower:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 9:47 AM

Concerning the Polo Hotel (the one which looks like a doughnout), is it going to be built or is it part of a cancelled project?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:41 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Those pics are awesome malec! Thanks for finding them! The Polo Hotel is pretty cool actually, I wouldn't mind a hotel like that in Dubai... But if it did get canceled then they should add something besides a building there. I still think that big lot next to The Torch should be turned into a park or something. But that Polo Hotel lot would be pretty nice as a waterfront themepark [not waterpark]... sort of like Conney Island, but not a rip-off of it of course.

I'm not sure how pedestrian traffic is in The Marina but it'd be nice if the government can get more street flow throughout the beach [other than just people who wanna go tan and swim].

Are there any major transportation networks [other than roads and freeways] in development in and/or near the Marina?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive