HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:16 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
That tower still remains iconic... although it's shorter than many other buildings it circular shape sticks out quite a bit in downtown-facing pictures from the North Shore or Burrard Inlet.
Assuming a future in which Vancouver has been liberated from city-imposed viewcones, I wonder (from an engineering standpoint) whether its feasible to rebuild the top of that building to increase the height of the observation tower by 90 feet or so.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:05 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned on any thread yet...

I just got wind that VIA architecture is currently designing and drawing up the permit application plans for the redevelopment of the parking lot at 320 Granville into a 30-story office tower. The site is directly across the street from Waterfront Station.

Waterfront Station Transportation Hub Conceptual Design Pg. 56

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:11 PM
Reason and Freedom

Oh my God. Do you mean the lot where that dirty, sooty, above ground parkade is? I was hoping this day would come. I hope they include retail and an inviting restaurant in the podium.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:25 PM

That's the one.

Google Maps - http://g.co/maps/z2vtd

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:44 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Yes that's the location of the parkade, not sure if there will be a submitted proposal quite yet though and think it's just more of a feeler at this point. I do think though that we will see movement at that site within the next 3-7yrs.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 7:07 PM

There's another ~30 storey office project in early stages just near that lot as well.

Like Jlousa said it's more than likely both projects have missed this cycle though.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 7:33 PM

My information is that the application is to be brought forth to the City fairly soon. In the new year, I would expect.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 10:45 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but was curious to find out the status on this as hasn't heard anything for a while. Dug around on the CoV website, but only recent info I found was a brief mention in the UDP minutes for 320 Granville.

Is the waterfront transport hub concept still alive, in limbo because of other priorities / lack of funding, or dead in the water?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post
Is the waterfront transport hub concept still alive, in limbo because of other priorities / lack of funding, or dead in the water?
I thought that was a part of some other project (convention centre perhaps, or maybe the soccer stadium?) that fell through. I haven't heard anything about it for quite some time, I'm pretty sure it's dead. And there are no new transportation facilities planned that would require any real change to the existing Waterfront station.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:16 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's not dead, it's somewhat dormant. A project like this will take multiple phases and will be 20yrs+ in the works before it's done. I doubt we'll see anything built until 2020. Too many other projects already in the pipeline and then there is the uncertainty about what a new provincial government might do. Money has a lot of patience.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:38 PM

Worth noting that Cadillac Fairview is currently renovating the lobby of Granville Square so that the main entrance faces East.

This is in anticipation of Granville Street and Canada Place extensions taking place in 5-10 years' time. Part of the impetus for this is that CF has about 500,000 SF of density to build another tower, but as Jlo alluded to, this will not take place quickly, and will probably be in for another whole round of study before it moves forward.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 3:27 PM

The city may not be working on this one actively but I can confirm it is anything but dead.

Some very ambitious plans are being worked on for the hub and area around it. Not sure when they go public but actual development is likely for the next office cycle.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Some very ambitious plans are being worked on for the hub and area around it. Not sure when they go public but actual development is likely for the next office cycle.
Which could be a long, long time from now. With the HST debacle, the coming NDP government (which will raise taxes on businesses and increase regulations) and the entrenchment of Vision (which is unserious about Vancouver's economic competitiveness), a significant amount of potential capital investment is already choosing to sit on the sidelines or invest elsewhere.

Vancouver is almost certainly heading for another lost decade.

Last edited by Prometheus; Oct 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for the updates. Good to know this is still percolating -- even if it's going to be several years out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
The city may not be working on this one actively but I can confirm it is anything but dead.

Any chance this also includes another convention centre expansion? I would imagine that behind closed doors, the convention centre is putting their foot in to ensure another expansion is part of the site (perhaps on top of a new SeaBus terminal), particularly because there's nowhere else they can expand to if this area is developed without them. In another decade or so, the convention centre should be back to capacity just like how it was back in 2001.

As long as it's all commercial or hospitality, plus the creation of a transportation hub, I'll be happy. Keep condos away from this!

The only other possible convention centre expansion I can think of is the Port Metro Vancouver offices at the end of the Canada Place pier - the extension completed in ~2001. More meeting rooms, ballrooms, or perhaps they could even try to squeeze in a 1,500-1,800 seat plenary/theatre. Port Metro HQ could move out to a new office tower in the Waterfront Station.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure